• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

forget the drive- Putt!

treethacker

Birdie Member
After three years of trying to learn the backhand I have come to the realization that I will probably never be able to get my disc more than 200 ft or so at the most. Just can not figure out how to make it work!
So my next plan is to work on long putt shots. My question is what is the best way to get the maxim distance on a putt? For now I am throwing with my index finger on the rim of the disc and my thumb is underneath the disc for balance as well as my other three fingers. A quick flick of the wrist as well as pushing off with my left leg towards the basket does get some distance but I am looking for very long distance to make up for my sorry ass backhand drives!
My putters that I use are : Aviar (170g),soft magnet(162g,I think but I couldn't swear by it)I also use two mid-ranges for longer putting -Star Gator (unknown weight)and a innova Cro(165g).
Any tips on getting close to or in the basket with this or a disc you might suggest would be much appreciated!:thmbup:

For starters, put your thumb on top of the disc, I have no idea how you generate any snap at all without it.

And as for driving, check out the discing down adventures thread, ideas from there got me from about 175' to just hitting 300' this week, and its only been 2-3 weeks, the hard part will be getting much over 300 from what I've heard.

wow, i didn't see that your thumb is on the bottom...that's probably no good. as for the discing down, i reached my limit around 300 with my disc'd down bag, so that's pretty accurate for me too

Well I threw 300 with my cyclone and stalker, I'd like to get my buzzz there though.

when i try to push my buzzz that far, i try to hyzer flip it because if i don't, it will just turn over and burn out. that's what the Roc/Wasp is for though

At the risk of starting a war here, I have to say, I hate rocs. I'm not sure what it is, but they're just not discs I enjoy throwing. I've thrown a wasp and liked it, but I don't own one, yet.

After three years of trying to learn the backhand I have come to the realization that I will probably never be able to get my disc more than 200 ft or so at the most. Just can not figure out how to make it work!
Have you been reading up on the technique articles to learn how to drive or just trying to figure it out on your own? Because there is no reason that you shouldn't be hitting 300'+ after 3 years of playing unless there is something horribly, horribly wrong with your technique. Or you are very young, very old, or have some sort of physical handicap.

You can practice making long putts all you want, but it is so much harder than learning how to drive decently. Anything outside 60-80' is kind of a bonus stroke if you make it. If you are willing to dedicate the time required to achieve the ability to consistently make long putts, it is probably more worth your while to get some help and focus on driving. If all else fails, and I am guessing you are feeling about at that stage right now, then I suppose just work on the putting thing.

Please tell us all the discs you are using and what you are using them for, with approximate driving distances of each. If you feel really ambitious about improving, upload some video of yourself throwing. Lots of people here are willing to lend advice and help all they can :thmbup:

I don't intend to sound insulting, I am just trying to help. Throwing farther is a lot of fun and makes the game so much easier.

Blasphemy! Treehacker...you ever vid record your drive?

when i try to push my buzzz that far, i try to hyzer flip it because if i don't, it will just turn over and burn out. that's what the Roc/Wasp is for though

:doh: Would you like some milk with your oats?

...For now I am throwing with my index finger on the rim of the disc and my thumb is underneath the disc for balance as well as my other three fingers....
How the hell does this grip work? If I'm reading this correctly, gravity would pull the disc out of your hand as soon as you started moving. Or blinked.

How the hell does this grip work? If I'm reading this correctly, gravity would pull the disc out of your hand as soon as you started moving. Or blinked.
He probably pinches his index finger and middle finger on the rim, but I agree, this grip sounds god awful to me.

So my next plan is to work on long putt shots. My question is what is the best way to get the maxim distance on a putt? For now I am throwing with my index finger on the rim of the disc and my thumb is underneath the disc for balance as well as my other three fingers. A quick flick of the wrist as well as pushing off with my left leg towards the basket does get some distance but I am looking for very long distance to make up for my sorry ass backhand drives!
My putters that I use are : Aviar (170g),soft magnet(162g,I think but I couldn't swear by it)I also use two mid-ranges for longer putting -Star Gator (unknown weight)and a innova Cro(165g).
Any tips on getting close to or in the basket with this or a disc you might suggest would be much appreciated!:thmbup:

??? thumb UNDER the disc ???

are you turbo-putting??? (holding the disc like a server would hold a tray full of food?)

sorry if this has been covered, but if it hasn't, that's an awful way to putt...

Well I was thinking of how I did the putt without actually doing it there in front of me.....yeah,thumb under would be rough:gross:...so everyone calm down!:D
When I putt the index finger is on the rim of the disc facing towards the basket,the THUMB is on top of the disc and my three other fingers are underneath the disc and are pushing against my thumb on top. Better?:eek: Then a flick of the wrist towards the basket and pushing off with my left leg usually gets it to the basket.
I have a feeling that after three years of no luck getting much distance with my drives that a lot of it may be more mental than physical.No I'm not to young nor to old nor a physical handicap,everything I have to make the drive is there I just haven't figured out how. I have watched tons of video on the drive,ask people at DG courses but when I try to throw it sucks! Except I can haul ass on some great grip locks!:\ and,yes,I know that is caused by poor form.
I guess I will try to load up some video and put it up here of my drives and after you have seen it and are through shaking your head and saying OMG then you can maybe help me some?
Still taking tips on putting!!

I think Garu said something that the usual distance milestones are something like 200', 280-290, 320-340, 390-400, and up. It was something like that. Something like roughly 40 feet at a time.

I think you could make it to 300. Would you be willing to video tape yourself and put it up here?

For putting, I suggest a lil nose up to extend your comfort range and learning an armpit to extension/no run up throw- perfect for aviars and magnets(but not only). Some other suggestions would be sidearm putting and the running putt, but I can't speak much on those.