• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] From hype to horror-DON'T POST A GROOVE THREAD UNTIL YOU READ THIS!

Do you hate the groove

• YES(Always)

Votes: 221 52.7%
  • NO(Never)

Votes: 138 32.9%
  • SOMETIMES(When it doesnt do what you want it to...but you still throw it)

Votes: 60 14.3%

• Total voters
What would it be good for instead?

As I posted above, I think it's fine for Anhyzer flex shots thrown backhand particularly if you're downwind. Perhaps I just got a good one, but its squirrely/inconsistent characteristics are pretty much non-existent for backhand throws. You do need to have quite a bit of speed to get it to not hyzer out though.

Agent P,

Could you post a pic of a "pearly" orc as opposed to a "non-pearly" orc. I assuming the non-pearly is just a standard champion plastic orc. Appreciate the feed back.

Two stories, same outcome.
1.When I was around 18 YO I bought Superman for Nintendo 64. "This game is going to be awesome!" I said. Then I sat down and played for about 2 hours. 30 minutes in I kept thinking it had to get better. After an hour I couldn't believe how bad it really was. Another hour later the game was smashed into a million pieces. Smashing it was the only fun to be had.

2.Almost a year ago I got a Groove at leagues. "This is going to be the best disc ever!" I said. Then I played a couple of rounds with it........ It would be fun to slice Grooves up with swords.

The Groove was the first fast disc that I threw forehand. I worked with it until I could be pretty consistent with it. Then, I found a beat up star Boss with no ink... the Groove is gone. I know exactly what the Boss will do. I am glad that I used it to learn with... I'm pretty consistent forehand... thanks to the Groove... I'll never throw another one.

The Groove was the first fast disc that I threw forehand. I worked with it until I could be pretty consistent with it. Then, I found a beat up star Boss with no ink... the Groove is gone. I know exactly what the Boss will do. I am glad that I used it to learn with... I'm pretty consistent forehand... thanks to the Groove... I'll never throw another one.

I can't believe what I've just read. Glad to have learned with the groove...? Well I suppose if you can be consistent with the groove you can be consistent with anything... I wish I never would have bought a bunch of a drivers...

Overly nose sensitive due to the groove. Any variation in nose angle will result in totally different flight paths, and I mean the SMALLEST variation. Unlike regular bevel edged discs that will not be so sensitive.

I Have had 3 Grooves, and love each of them. I lost my first one, replaced it and got an ace with the 2nd, which I retired for the third. All three have seemed to work the exact same. I find the dynamics to be predictable AS LONG AS YOU HAVE THE SPEED RIGHT. In other words, on rounds where I am starting to grow tired, I'll throw with more arm then wrist snap, and the Groove responds with a hyser dive with a ton of backspin. If I throw it with the right amount of wrist snap, it will fly a beautiful S-curve with predictable high and low speed turning.

I can only guess that the people who hate this disc are not getting the right amount of wrist snap/tortional speed to get it to do what it is supposed to do.

Personally, I love it, and it's my primary driver on longer holes.

I totally agree. A Groove was my first driver, and it was hard to learn to throw but I love it now that I can. STICK WITH IT. If you get mad because it's too overstable and just throw it away you're losing s GREAT disc. If you learn to throw on a disc that fades as much as the Groove, you will be able to throw anything. It is all about the snap, like he^ said. Get one. Now. :p

I had one and hated it. I used it for a hole (that is now deleted) at my local course. Imo it flew for me like a Champion Monster. I had very little use for it other than the one hole I spoke of.

the Groove is overhyped and lots of noobs buy it because of the gimmicky rim. i'd say it flies pretty similar to a Boss, just something about it doesn't feel right and it can be inconsistent.

Its really not a bad disc, its just not easy to learn to throw, and it does highlight anything you might do wrong when you throw.
Like any superfast disc, its nose sensitive and completely unforgiving, but that no different than a Boss, or an Xcaliber.
Its high speed turn is not easy to control either.
I also think it most resembles a Boss, but it does have better glide, and a softer fade.

Yesterday I popped the Groove back in my bag for a couple of rounds. I still feel more comfortable throwing the Boss when I need to be accurate, but I did pull it out on a couple of wide open holes and it did WORK !
Surious work.
Long and straight with hella glide kinda work.
You just gotta be on it, no play time, use good skills and this disc will reward you.

I dont want to start a flame war, but for me the Champ Groove is a much better flyer than my equal weight Mad Cow Katana.

Its really not a bad disc, its just not easy to learn to throw, and it does highlight anything you might do wrong when you throw.
Like any superfast disc, its nose sensitive and completely unforgiving, but that no different than a Boss, or an Xcaliber.
Its high speed turn is not easy to control either.
I also think it most resembles a Boss, but it does have better glide, and a softer fade.

Yesterday I popped the Groove back in my bag for a couple of rounds. I still feel more comfortable throwing the Boss when I need to be accurate, but I did pull it out on a couple of wide open holes and it did WORK !
Surious work.
Long and straight with hella glide kinda work.
You just gotta be on it, no play time, use good skills and this disc will reward you.

I dont want to start a flame war, but for me the Champ Groove is a much better flyer than my equal weight Mad Cow Katana.
i have a FR if you would like

I bought a groove

I wanted to try a groove because everyone says they suck, so i bought one for $5. not too bad of a disc but not a great disc either.

Latest posts