• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Is the Groove really that bad?

Confirmed, it was the great Mr. Franky D! That hot dogging son of a gun:D

Well goddamn, Frank D, Prerube, and I gotta give ThreePutt legendary props. I really feel like he's made it. Any time I think of the Groove,

"It's like a unique snowflake of suck."

Legendary line, a lot said in a few words. It's like my buddy who's an immigrant, points to two brothers foreman and subforeman. And says:

"Two As*holes, one underpants!"

The mold is still made because Innova knows some new players will spend $$ to get the mold to fly the same as the old one even similar is 100% impossible. This has been known to turn of some players froever to Innova discs, some for the first few years until they find it is just the Groove that massively needs to be stopped. This to me seems like it will be impossible to find the same disc. Sad but Innova knows how to take advantage of the new player very well.

I posted this to say that Dave D should be helping new players but when the beginner packs are not sold everywhere and the big box sports stores buy in bulk the Groove, Dave D thinks the Groove sells, but it does not probably sell the way he wants or knows. This is a catch 22 in that the big box stores get the Grove just knowing the beginner or in first year of play ends up buying a Bunch of the discs the big box sports store not knowing that the beginner is chasing the original Grove the player bought and Dave is selling a bunch of the mold. Of course in some areas the big box sports store like Scheel's are better and get molds even those not from Innova that sell very well but are not the Groove.

Thanks to TimG for preserving the goldmine that was DGR, and GripEnemy for providing the link to it... I was able to find what I believe was the original coining of the "snowflake of suck" phrase. Frank D used it to describe the disc relative to other highspeed drivers.

Here's a link to that thread.

I cherry picked the specific posts from that thread that lead up to the now famous phrase:
discspeed » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:01 pm
A faster Force...though from Discraft Mike's description its not supposed to be particularly overstable as he compared it to a Flash and Surge I think.
JKP » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:03 pm
faster surge or flash would make it flippier than a boss?
Aaron_D » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:08 pm
probably about the same. I always thought the boss was pretty much the flippiest of the highspeed drivers, but is also the fastest, so it is speed stable for most. The boss reminds me of a fast Orc while the force reminds me of a fast starfire.

lol @ rim configuration as a concept.
Pwingles » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:37 pm
groove is by far flippier depending on the plastic of the boss in question
Frank Delicious » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:48 pm
Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck. Each one could be flippier or more stable than any other driver out there. There is also no way to know since each throw with them is also unreproducible because of the nose angle sensitivity of said suck snowflake.

So, if you could only pick one of the two, would you rather hit the course with a Groove or an Albatross?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Groove, and it's not close. A Groove is actually a golf disc—a bad golf disc, but a golf disc nonetheless. Albatrosses are just hard plastic circles that don't even really fly.

I think I saw them use an Albatross in one of the foundation faceoffs. It was the flippiest thing I've ever seen.

So, if you could only pick one of the two, would you rather hit the course with a Groove or an Albatross?

Inquiring minds want to know.
I think I saw them use an Albatross in one of the foundation faceoffs. It was the flippiest thing I've ever seen.

Comparing the Groove and the Albatross is like comparing a Hot Wheels to Chevy or Ford. All I know is the Groove's a bigger disappointment.

Franklin doesn't claim to be a leader in disc sports or sponsor events or touring pros. Innova should know better than to keep making garbage like that.

Lemme know when it becomes someone's signature disc.

:popcorn:

Last edited:
Comparing the Groove and the Albatross is like comparing a Hot Wheels to Chevy or Ford. All I know is the Groove's a bigger disappointment.

Lemme know when it becomes someone's signature disc.

:popcorn:

This is perfect for Lloyd Weema to have a signature disc. I'd lose it if they had a run of 0x Weema Champ Grooves

Dubbed, "A unique snowflake of suck." meaning every single Groove is uniquely awful. QC on them is allegedly worse than any other mold in existence, and it's become an old meme at this point.

So, instead of buying one of those mystery packs, you could get a stack of grooves and achieve the same variety. AND have a reason to blame every errant shot. Because they all will be...

So, instead of buying one of those mystery packs, you could get a stack of grooves and achieve the same variety. AND have a reason to blame every errant shot. Because they all will be...

This could be considered a completely rational course of action.

I'm tempted to buy one just to see what all the hate is about lol. Seriously though, are they actually supposed to be under or overstable?

I'm tempted to buy one just to see what all the hate is about lol. Seriously though, are they actually supposed to be under or overstable?

You can't fully appreciate the Groove by throwing a Groove. The mold really comes into its own when you throw several of them, and obtain very different results.

The inconsistency is what makes each Groove "a unique snowflake of suck."

That makes me wonder if the Monarch is similar to the Groove. I do have a champ Monarch, which is supposed to basically be Roadrunner understable. That thing flies NOTHING like a Roadrunner. I used to only throw it for thumbers, and it flew similar to my Flick. It's been years now since I threw it though.

That makes me wonder if the Monarch is similar to the Groove. I do have a champ Monarch, which is supposed to basically be Roadrunner understable. That thing flies NOTHING like a Roadrunner. I used to only throw it for thumbers, and it flew similar to my Flick. It's been years now since I threw it though.

I had the same experience with my old Champ Monarch. That thing was more stable than a Champ Valkyrie. That channel on the top of the rim is despicable

I didn't like the Monarch at all. Its a very worthy (crappy) little brother to the Groove. The Monarch flies something like a Beast X, but with far less glide and distance. It'll carve a decent looking line, but it isn't very long and doesn't penetrate well.

I think Innova ascertained that the "groove track" think in the rim didn't work well.

I think Innova ascertained that the "groove track" think in the rim didn't work well.

Does anyone know the story behind the design of it (groove track)? I don't have a Groove, but I do have a Champ Monarch (somewhere).

It seems that feature removes a large portion of plastic (weight) from the outer rim...knd of the opposite of what you would think they'd like to do.

Does anyone know the story behind the design of it (groove track)? I don't have a Groove, but I do have a Champ Monarch (somewhere).

It seems that feature removes a large portion of plastic (weight) from the outer rim...knd of the opposite of what you would think they'd like to do.

I'm pretty sure the groove concept was created so Innova could make wide rimmed drivers weigh significantly less. This was right after the Boss came out, and Innova wasn't able to make lightweight Bosses. Suddenly the Groove comes out and you can get them in the mid 160s.

Obviously things have changed since then. Plastic blends have gotten lighter, and blizzard was introduced. They can now make wide rimmed drivers 150g or less.

The groove concept is obsolete. I don't think the groove helped the disc fly at all. Quite the opposite. I have no idea why Innova carried the groove concept into the Monarch. It doesn't have an overly wide rim, and doesn't need a groove in it to cut weight.

I almost revisted the Monarch last week. I'll probably try it again just to see how it flies. My friend has a groove and he hates it so maybe I'll borrow that too. Now I'm just genuinely curious.

Latest posts