• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] From hype to horror-DON'T POST A GROOVE THREAD UNTIL YOU READ THIS!

Do you hate the groove

• YES(Always)

Votes: 221 52.7%
  • NO(Never)

Votes: 138 32.9%
  • SOMETIMES(When it doesnt do what you want it to...but you still throw it)

Votes: 60 14.3%

• Total voters
I just bought one recently- a very cool clear pinkish plastic.
Hate it- just as chop says- fades immediately. Its a 169 and whether I throw it FH or BH it's cutting the second it leaves my hand.
What is cool about it is the 13 speed rating- you can really tell the speed by looking at it.
The success some people are having with it tempts me to keep at it but until I loose faith in my destroyer and wraith, I'm only busting it out for sharp, open dog-legs.

I love my Groove! I use it so much now. Just break it in!

How much breaking does it take?

Just throw it 15+ times in a field. Right now my groove is a farther straighter valk. I think im in love!

When I first started throwing it, I could only have an understable disc. With time "not" practice it balanced out.

I want to beat off to my groove... j/k. I just got one at a tourny and haven't tried it out, it felt weird in my hand, has a very wide ridge. I look forward to seeing how it does for me.

Groove vs. Boss

I've been putting off buying a disc rated at Innova's Speed 13, but after having had a very good experience with my FLX Surge from Discraft -- it's got a nice little turnover to it and huge, fast glide when I throw it well -- and after seeing Joe's Flight Chart putting it up in the Boss/Groove speed territory, I decided I might be ready to at least try a Speed 13 disc from Innova. Heck, I figured. If nothing else I'll have a very fast overstable driver that maybe i can use to develop my forehand.

So I was at my local Play-it-Again Sports, looking at the Boss and the Groove, and my brain went through the following reasoning: The groove on the Groove is intended to make it lighter and less stable, and Innova's flight ratings, as well as those on Joe's Flight Chart, agree. So I figured the Groove would be a good place to start, and if it ends up being flippy on me, I might also like to try a Boss.

So I bought a Champion Groove and took it out to an open field at the local park. My Surge was flying way over 300', long and true, with a gentle turnover. My Groove was falling out of the sky like an overstable pig, crashing to the ground around 290-310'. This was more than a little disappointing. Then I saw another guy throwing in the field, and I expressed my disappointment to him. He said that he and others he knew had had more success turning over the Boss. He and his friends had generally found the Groove to be more overstable than the Boss, and generally unflippable.

So what gives with all the ratings? Why is experience contrary to what Innova and Joe both show on their charts?

My groove is certainly easier to turn over than any of my bosses, it is a little overstable, but will have a nice right turn if you really get some zip on it...

I throw all three of the discs you're talking about. Boss, Groove and especially the Surge. I don't know what is wrong with the disc classifications and ratings but I can agree with everything you're saying about the flight characteristics. I use a RHBH with these discs and the Groove falls way short. I can S the Boss all day. The Surge has a nice fade right for me at the end. I still haven't found a use for the Groove.

inconsistency in plastic?..different weights?...boss should be more stable...i flip a boss over and won't bother with a groove because i know it is less stable...they were pulling your leg or their definiton of stable is different than mine..

inconsistency in plastic?..different weights?...boss should be more stable...i flip a boss over and won't bother with a groove because i know it is less stable...they were pulling your leg or their definiton of stable is different than mine..

I'm confident in my understanding of the terms we're using. Have you ever thrown a Groove? 'Cause your ability to flip a Boss over is consistent with what others have said here.

As for the weights question, both my quickly-becoming-beloved Surge and my thusfar disappointing Groove are marked right at 170g. The Surge may be "broken in" a little, but it's only superficially scuffed if anything. It could be the result of some kind of manufacturing variance or maybe the FLX plastic makes discs less stable. I do hear that the Champion plastic is more stable, and my experience jibs with that, but as far as I know, the Groove is only made in Champion.

I'm confident in my understanding of the terms we're using. Have you ever thrown a Groove? 'Cause your ability to flip a Boss over is consistent with what others have said here.

As for the weights question, both my quickly-becoming-beloved Surge and my thusfar disappointing Groove are marked right at 170g. The Surge may be "broken in" a little, but it's only superficially scuffed if anything. It could be the result of some kind of manufacturing variance or maybe the FLX plastic makes discs less stable. I do hear that the Champion plastic is more stable, and my experience jibs with that, but as far as I know, the Groove is only made in Champion.

i have 2 bosses(same weight) and one is considerably more stable than the other...thats why i first wrote inconsistent plastic..i have noticed this in several models of innova plastic..as far as the groove being listed as less stable, it is in my experience

i have 2 bosses(same weight) and one is considerably more stable than the other...thats why i first wrote inconsistent plastic..i have noticed this in several models of innova plastic..as far as the groove being listed as less stable, it is in my experience

Ya, I've noticed a few inconsistencies in innova discs. I was told they have switched factories a couple of times, and the mold changes every time very slightly. Also, when innova discs dry right after they are made, they are pretty much left out to do so, leaving them vulnerable to the climate(as opposed to discraft, who have a special way of drying every disc). This is what I've been told.

I throw all three of the discs you're talking about. Boss, Groove and especially the Surge. I don't know what is wrong with the disc classifications and ratings but I can agree with everything you're saying about the flight characteristics. I use a RHBH with these discs and the Groove falls way short. I can S the Boss all day. The Surge has a nice fade right for me at the end. I still haven't found a use for the Groove.

I'm not sure wtf is going on but I've got a similar issue, chalked it up to inconsistancies in runs like 80 brought up.

I have 2 Bosses, an R-Pro 150G and a Champ 173G, the 150 class goes nice and straight with little fade, the heavier Boss gets some good D and has a nice moderate fade at the end. I also have a 157G Groove, overstable as hell-it reminds me of a Flick.

My groove is certainly easier to turn over than any of my bosses, it is a little overstable, but will have a nice right turn if you really get some zip on it...

This is how I am.

The guy in the field is off. You just need a strong arm. I find that weak arms have a very tough time getting it to do what it needs. The reason it is a high speed, is because it needs to be released at a high speed.

I have 2 Bosses, an R-Pro 150G and a Champ 173G, the 150 class goes nice and straight with little fade, the heavier Boss gets some good D and has a nice moderate fade at the end. I also have a 157G Groove, overstable as hell-it reminds me of a Flick.

Check out other threads on Star/Champ/R-Pro. They seem to be three entirely different disks.

As for the groove, I assume you meant 175? I thought the groove could only be done from 165-175ish ?

Let me start out by saying I like the groove. I own a 173 champ Boss and Star Boss and a 162g R-pro boss and I love them I will never leave home with out them. the Star is overstable the Champ is more stable and the R-Pro is understable its a perfect combo! The Groove isnt as versitale as I thought is would be I either get booger finger(grip lock) when I throw it or (vasaline hand) slippage. If thrown right it bombs. I have owned a max weight and lower weight groove but if I got another one I would get a lighter weight around 165-168.

Latest posts