• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] From hype to horror-DON'T POST A GROOVE THREAD UNTIL YOU READ THIS!

Do you hate the groove

• YES(Always)

Votes: 221 52.7%
  • NO(Never)

Votes: 138 32.9%
  • SOMETIMES(When it doesnt do what you want it to...but you still throw it)

Votes: 60 14.3%

• Total voters
My brother and I have recently been experimenting with the Boss. Both of us consistently throw around 300', and initially we both found the Boss extremely hard to control as it is ridiculously overstable (more than Innova lets on IMHO.) We started messing around in a field and each found something that works (at least for us). I throw RHBH and when I throw the Boss, I throw it extremely anhyzer off to the right, and most of the time it follows an S curve and works back to the left and its overstable consistency. It isn't a huge upgrade but I have found myself throwing around 30' longer with it. My brother on the other hand throws RHFH and just puts everything he has into it with a lot of wrist snap. He is not real consistent with it yet, but when he gets it to fly right he has got up to the 390'-410' range. Neither of us have tried a Groove or a Surge, but I think it's all about finding a flight pattern that works for each particular disc and the way you release it.

the reason it is "extremely hard to control as it is ridiculously overstable" is probably because you have to have a higher arm speed/snap to get it to fly up to specifications..i actually found once i beat one in, it got unpredictable as to its stability

In my experience with both, it simply takes a while to get into the Groove. It took me a few rounds to be able to throw it well. The same thing happened when I started throwing a Monarch. I think the lip on the edge is just something that takes time getting used to

I currently only have a Groove and I can only forehand it and get good distance with an s-curve flight. If I try backhand its very piggish. Again more evidence that it takes a lot of snap on the Groove to get it to behave.

The groove just doesn't seem all that consistent to me, and it is very unforgiving of even a little bit of a nose-up release. I feel like the little extra speed isn't worth it for me, when the disc doesn't always go where I want. The boss is easier to predict and control for me, and is a little more forgiving in wind or with a not-perfect release.

everything said in this thread is y i try to throw less and less of innova. too inconsistent. but discs like the valk, roc, and wraith will always have a place in my bag

Thrown a Groove?

My local shop is carrying the Groove. They feel pretty nice to hold, and the lip should provide some extra glide. Has anyone thrown one? and are they decently straight? Distance? Thanks

Absolutely! It's quite a fast disc with a lot of glide if there's no wind. But if there's wind...this thing flips a loooot.

i got 1, and im not a fan, it needs alot of room 2 work, not 2 mention that if theres any wind, dont even bother pulling it out of the bag.

i got 1, and im not a fan, it needs alot of room 2 work, not 2 mention that if theres any wind, dont even bother pulling it out of the bag.

Me too! I've had mine for several months, and the only time I throw it, is when I'm out on the open field practicing. Unlike the Destroyer(which I love), I can't get it to take off. I guess I just haven't figured it out.

I don't like it, and I doubt that I'll take the time to try and learn it when other discs are working fine for me.

Thanks guys. It looks really neat, but I'll hold off. It's often moderately to very windy here, and a lot of tight fairways. Is it one that a girl could throw at a low speed and still get decent glide?

Thanks guys. It looks really neat, but I'll hold off. It's often moderately to very windy here, and a lot of tight fairways. Is it one that a girl could throw at a low speed and still get decent glide?
It's still a high speed disc. If you can't throw that fast it's going to fade really quick.

Definitely not, for a slower arm the groove will act really overstable and just crash to the ground right away. The high speed drivers really need to get up to a pretty good speed to perform the way they're designed for. Stick to something like a cheetah or leopard for a newer player without a big arm, or even better stick to mids like stingrays or sharks, they're easier to control and will actually give a new player better distance at first.

i'm only a 300ft RHBH thrower roughly, thrown into little headwind or tailwind it flies good for me, NO sidewinds though, it'll do tricks hehe, but i have had a few 400ft drives with it, grip too big and inconsistent for my hand, but generally i like the disc, also, also i overhand with a monarch(also has groove) and this disc is wonderful overhand, monarch up to 220 for me, groove up to 250 overhand

NO! defently not, if you cant throw VERRY fast, don get it or your wasting money because you will hate it.

According to Joe's Flight Chart it has a power rating of 325-375 so if you cannot throw within those distances pretty easily it is not really recommended. It's a less high speed stable than the Wraith, and has the same low speed stability. So per the flight chart is will fly very similar to the Wraith it will just have a little more initial turn. I have only seen the Groove in Champion plastic so I would say that it would be comparable to the Champion Wraith, or the Elite Z Surge.

That was kind of my reason for asking. It looks somewhat like a gimmick. You know, the crazy bright bass lure with all the bells and whistles, the one fish are scared to death of, but it hooks the fishermen every time type of deal. 350 is my average, and I don't need it, so I'll stick to the Reapers and Destroyers.

It's a situational disc for me. If I have a good tailwind I'll use it if the hole goes to the left (RHBH). If I need straight distance though, I still reach for my Destroyer or Wraith.

Latest posts