• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] From hype to horror-DON'T POST A GROOVE THREAD UNTIL YOU READ THIS!

Do you hate the groove

• YES(Always)

Votes: 221 52.7%
  • NO(Never)

Votes: 138 32.9%
  • SOMETIMES(When it doesnt do what you want it to...but you still throw it)

Votes: 60 14.3%

• Total voters
I have a champion groove but just bought a star eco groove today. Anybody thrown one yet and is it more stable than its champion counterpart?

Well it has similar turn and fad specs as a Valk but it doesn't fly as advertised... I "think" i know why. I studied the under profile very closely and I noticed that there is a very "sharp" raised level of plastic all around the rim. Almost like the lathing machine stopped short. It feels like if you hold it for a forehand throw, the sharp raised plastic my cut your hand...that's how sharp it felt. It's not for sure yet but I sanded that part down to be level then slightly round to the inside rim like my destroyer. My destroyer is 172 and I am RHFH dominate and I turn it over slightly on hard throws. My groove, like everyone else, felt EXTREMELY over stable..

throw it for a while. i can hyzer flip mine just now. it took about 4 months of breaking in. but i have a big arm and do not see a normal arm strength guy flipping this disc. Def. not as advertised. The Fastness of a disc is overrated anyways. Go for a Wraith, Surge, Orc, or SL.

i don't think my groove is nearly as fast as my bosses...when i throw it it seems to have about as much high speed turn as it does fade, but i really have to crank it to make it do that...if i go 50% say it will fade pretty hard left (RHBH)

groove stability?

I am wondering why the groove is more stable than a boss? I think that the stabilty ratings are screwed up on a groove, but what do u guys think? do you also think the groove is more stable than a boss?

Nope, not at all. I've thrown them both in the 380'-400' range, and the groove flips over more easily than a boss. Keep in mind that plastic, weight, and run makes a small difference in stability. You might just have an overstable groove and an understable boss.

Also, don't forget that they are meant to be thrown at a speed of 13 (whatever that corresponds to in reality). If you're not throwing them at that speed, they will not fly like they are designed to fly.

My pristine 174 first run champ Groove is beefier than my battle tested 175 first run champ Boss, that's all I can tell you. Just about everyone I know that got a first run groove thought they were unusually more overstable than they ought to be though.

The first runs are alot less understable. The "second" and right after that are alot more overstable. I one of the first and it flipped hard, the next run that I got was alot more overstable. Its alomost exactly like a beat up boss, not as overstable but close. Its almost like Innova has figured out how to bring back the old first and second run plastic that they did with the CE and put it in the champ because the boss and the groove are like that IMO.

yeah, i can turn over both the boss and the groove but the groove seems so come back alot quicker and get a lot less distance. I can throw each about 360-400 ft.

It may seem like that at first but with a little breaking in they become great discs. I know for a fact that I can't throw speed 13 discs the way they were meant to be thrown; but with my Groove I throw it hard and flat with a lot of snap and it flies straight for days then has a mean fade at the end. Perfect for long straight holes and long hyzer holes.

The groove seemed a lot more nose angle sensitive for me than the boss, so if I threw it correctly (nose down) it would flip really easily, but if I got the nose up at all it would just fade out, maybe that's what you're noticing.

already have a surge.. its the same as a wraith... but the whole sensitive thing might be correct because groove's either turn over or hyzer hard off the start.

I just got a 170 champion groove, For me itll go out about 300 feet and bomb hard left, im a rhbh thrower, I can turn over supposidly more stable discs that innova makes so id say yeah for me the groove isnt as understable as I would have hoped and expected, although its a speed 13 I can outdrive it with my spped 10 and 9 discs.

I have a 174 star boss and a 175 champ boss, and a 167 champ groove (previously had a 174 ch groove, sold it, it was stronger than i wanted)

The groove i have now is stronger than the star boss, but not the champ, at a like weight however it would be more similar but still not as strong

Speed =/= distance. The speed also affects the stability. If you aren't throwing it as hard as it is supposed to be thrown, it isn't going to have the stability characteristics that it is supposed to have.

Groove

Looking at the other thread on worse discs ever bought, I am kinda suprised by the Groove hate. Havent tried one but now, its like a bad wreck and I just cant stop watching.

Who likes the Groove?

For those who hate it, what ways have you tried to throw them? I think one might make a good thumber disc.

Latest posts