• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Frustrated with my league option.

You really don't get it do you? You have assumed the league is full of players you won't like so instead you sit at home and complain about how much the situation sucks. Go out, give it a try. Then you will know and maybe you will enjoy yourself.

I'm not trolling you. I am frustrated with your attitude.

Maybe the best solution would be for you to sell your discs and take up a hobby that requires no social interaction.

Last edited:
If you guys are any indication of what leagues are like, I'm sure I want to go now!

Lots of DG-is-serious-business types here, and maybe in your league too. Also lots of hardcore trollers. But most of the points are good IMO. You should give them a chance and play it out a few times, introduce yourself, get advice, don't say "Nice" to their throws until they stop moving ;), and generally partake in the culture. You will know after a few tries if you can deal with them or not, and the answer may well be that you make a lot of friends and enjoy it. If not, I really enjoy playing by myself a lot (get more exercise for one thing). Or corrupt your current friends - a mostly free sport you play in beautiful woodlands or parks is very attractive.

Lots of DG-is-serious-business types here, and maybe in your league too. Also lots of hardcore trollers. But most of the points are good IMO. You should give them a chance and play it out a few times, introduce yourself, get advice, don't say "Nice" to their throws until they stop moving ;), and generally partake in the culture. You will know after a few tries if you can deal with them or not, and the answer may well be that you make a lot of friends and enjoy it. If not, I really enjoy playing by myself a lot (get more exercise for one thing). Or corrupt your current friends - a mostly free sport you play in beautiful woodlands or parks is very attractive.

Yeah, I plan on trying it out. I have said as much more than a few times already in this thread. Most of the replies have been good dudes being encouraging, so I hope those are the type of dudes/lady-dudes that I run into at this league, and I probably will.

But those two trolls are just hearing clip-clop on their bridges even if no one is walking there.

Ps, i will have to be cautious about saying "nice" to every thing. That could totally get annoying, and I can see myself doing it especially if I'm nervous. Thanks for the tip.

Ps, i will have to be cautious about saying "nice" to every thing. That could totally get annoying, and I can see myself doing it especially if I'm nervous. Thanks for the tip.

Yep, even my casual buddies get annoyed at that, although they do it to. When it is Pros, you just see that smooth stroke and a Disc flying through a window you struggle to hit and say "Nice!", only then the disc lands 30 feet behind the Pin and starts rolling down a Ravine and they glare at you...well it looked nice at first anyway, hehe :eek:

We played COD for a bit with a dude who used to call out "awesome" after every kill any of us got. "Awesome, Blam!"

It got old really quick.

I will save my "nice" for shots that stay in the circle.

This...

...really seem to be super competetuve, so I don't want to play with them and mess up their time.

...Many of the nicest golfers I have run into basically tell me that the league there is kinda jerky, but I don't know where else to go to get good competition and learn how to improve.

Really, I am frustrated, but don't really think they are doing anything super wrong or horrible. I guess I feel like their league isn't as open and welcoming as the sport on the whole has been.

Turns into this...

Maybe the best solution would be for you to sell your discs and take up a hobby that requires no social interaction.

:doh:

i despise local league players who think they own the course that night.

i actually think leagues are pretty lame.. and for those who lack the skill to compete in other venues. like bowling leagues and those softball games where every player brings a cooler.

Good Grief you are just a complete incorrigible a** aren't you. You need to get over yourself. You probably hate leagues because no one wants you around theirs. Maybe you should get your ego in check and you might have better luck with people.

Shocked

Frankly I'm a bit shocked by some of the reactions in this thread. I know it's hard to read tone but I really think some of you over-reacted to the OP. I don't play leagues in general (I'm too impatient with the pace of play) but have gone to league nights a few times. One course has two great guys who run the league but the night that I showed up, neither was there (yet at least) and the guys who did show up were about as unfriendly as you can be without actually threatening me. So after waiting a while and hoping the two good guys showed up, I gave up and started playing (I birdied the first two holes - the best revenge is living well) and left after a while. This course is about an hour away but I really liked the guys who run it. But I'll never go back. I didn't tell the two guys as I didn't want to be a whiner. The other two courses that I've gone to leagues at were great (1 an hour away; the other 15 minutes away). So I think you can have a bad experience and it doesn't mean you hate all leagues. I think the OP was just venting.

But getting replies saying that if you don't join the local club and maintain the course then you don't deserve to use it is exactly the kind of attitude that drives people away and makes them think you are elitist DBs. If it's a private course then fine. But just because you belong to the club doesn't mean you paid for the land or the baskets - you don't get exclusive or even primary rights. Get over it or go build your own private course. If the course where I encountered the DBs was my closest course, I would still want to play it even though I'd never join "the club".

Given that, it is still great if you can join a club and help maintain the course. But you are not required to.

But getting replies saying that if you don't join the local club and maintain the course then you don't deserve to use it is exactly the kind of attitude that drives people away and makes them think you are elitist DBs.
Nothing of the kind was ever said.

But just because you belong to the club doesn't mean you paid for the land or the baskets - you don't get exclusive or even primary rights.
Uhh, hate to break this to you pal, but while the land may be public property, in some cases the baskets are indeed property of the local club, or at the very least are purchased by the parks department with money the club provides. In such cases, the club are generally the ones who get to decide which position they are set, and when those positions change. They may also have authority to pull the baskets from a permanent course for a few days to use them for a temporary one elsewhere.

Get over it or go build your own private course. If the course where I encountered the DBs was my closest course, I would still want to play it even though I'd never join "the club".
What you're forgetting, and what you're first point completely swung and missed on, is that if not for the efforts of said DBs, that course quite possibly may not be there for you to play, on your own time, and often for free. This is the disconnect those you whining in this thread don't seem to get. Perhaps it is you butthurt types who need to go build a course, raise the funds, do all of the sweat equity in getting it approved, paid for, cleaned up and put in the ground, and start a club of your own so you can keep the good times rolling. Then you can see this issue from the other side. Perhaps then, you'll understand.

Given that, it is still great if you can join a club and help maintain the course. But you are not required to.
Nobody has to join a club to maintain a course. Not everyone who joins a club does. I would say that 95% of the trash pickup I've ever done was a completely independent effort.

Uhh, hate to break this to you pal, but while the land may be public property, in some cases the baskets are indeed property of the local club, or at the very least are purchased by the parks department with money the club provides. In such cases, the club are generally the ones who get to decide which position they are set, and when those positions change. They may also have authority to pull the baskets from a permanent course for a few days to use them for a temporary one elsewhere.

What you're forgetting, and what you're first point completely swung and missed on, is that if not for the efforts of said DBs, that course quite possibly may not be there for you to play, on your own time, and often for free. This is the disconnect those you whining in this thread don't seem to get. Perhaps it is you butthurt types who need to go build a course, raise the funds, do all of the sweat equity in getting it approved, paid for, cleaned up and put in the ground, and start a club of your own so you can keep the good times rolling. Then you can see this issue from the other side. Perhaps then, you'll understand.

Nobody has to join a club to maintain a course. Not everyone who joins a club does. I would say that 95% of the trash pickup I've ever done was a completely independent effort.
Holy cow this is the greatest post i have ever read on this entire site!

One thing I have learned being in this forum is that just because you do, do work on the course, promote and grow disc golf in the area, grow the sport and get more courses in your area, does not give you free reign in a public park. I actually did need to hear that ethos as back in the day I was a little to territorial at my local course. BUT at our premiere course here the club did get the course approved with the county government, build the course in a heavily wooded parcel of land, install tee pads, concrete tee boxes (BIG ones), tee signs and 18 benches on the course. AND we did it without it costing the County tax payers 1 red dime. We raised the money, secured a grant and bared the risk and financial burdon for the entire project outside of the land the county gave us. Since then we have maintained the course for 12 years. While I agree that this does not entitle us to free reign in the park I darn sure expect some respect and courtesy from disc golfers (not chuckers) in the area when it comes time for league play and club events.

Plain and simple many courses would not be there if it were not for local clubs and local clubs would not have the money to do all the maintenance a disc golf requires if was not for membership and revenue generated by leagues. So I think ANYONE who likes playing a disc golf course even if it's in a public park should go WAY OUT OF THEIR WAY to say thank you to local clubs and seriously think about joining even if it is jsut paying the membership fee…even if some of them may seem a little standoffish at times. whether you like them or not i feel confident the money will go to a good place.

Last edited:
While I agree that this does not entitle us to free reign in the park I darn sure expect some respect and courtesy from disc golfers (not chuckers) in the area when it comes time for league play and club events.

Absoultely agree that the clubs are doing a community service and also agree that respect and courtesy are expected. BUT is that respect and courtesy any different than club members should show toward others?

Example of how it was done correctly: Tournament in Charlotte at the Scrapyard a few weeks ago (but no signs that the course was closed as I've seen done at Kilborne). I played an early round since I knew about the tournament. A player says, "We're about to start a tournament. You can play the course, but it may be very slow." My response, "Thanks. I came out early so I can get out of the way." But I still could have played and wasn't made to feel unwelcome.

A similar thing happened at Elon Park and it was handled the right way. (Played the short course instead)

Years ago in Raleigh: Half way through my round, a club tournament was starting. The course wasn't closed (seemed unofficial). Guy says, "We're trying to have a tournament and you shouldn't play today." He was acting like an entitled DB.

Not sure if this is the case, but it seems like the Charlotte club has addressed this issue and the right way to handle it. Or maybe they're just nice to people. But it seems to be a common enough issue that clubs should discuss to help avoid these conflicts.

any time a course is closed for a tournament, signage to that effect should be posted. It is frustrating trying to play a tournament with non-tourny players out there. It is equally frustrating to be told the course is closed with no official reason.

Clubs and members seem intimidating at first to new players because they appear tribe like. They have all this gear, and stools and beards etc. I know I was a bit intimidated at first, but unlike the OP, I just asked how to get involved. I am now an elected Director on our Board

just keep in mind that we don't know if the locals were truly being rude or uninviting, we only have the op's paranoid opinion to go on. speaking of paranoia, i hope the good dr. keeps his handle a secret because you better believe that the locals are aware of this thread. when things like this happen, the locals always find out and people just love to gossip.

Hmm "if the league guys are there every week or month busting their asses getting the course playable, throwing tourneys, etc., and they see YOU enjoying the course but not going to league, nor pitching in on work days, and never introducing yourself to any of them...well, maybe they're catching bad vibes off of YOU." sure sounds like if you don't work on the course, you are the bad guy.

Also "are you a member of the local club? have you offered to help clean and maintain the course? have you done anything constructive" seems again to say that if you don't work on the course that you aren't welcome. Also "good luck as you navigate those scary courses filled with competetive (sp) players, hope you find your friend who will shield you and hold your hand as you journey towards becoming a man" is not constructive.

More hostility - "Maybe the best solution would be for you to sell your discs and take up a hobby that requires no social interaction." and "Good Grief you are just a complete incorrigible a** aren't you. You need to get over yourself. You probably hate leagues because no one wants you around theirs."

But some of these may be trolls. Now for your reading comprehension.

I never said that none of the clubs paid for baskets and tees, etc. I said "just because you belong to the club doesn't mean you paid for the land or the baskets". If you did then obviously that's a different story. But even then you probably didn't pay for them yourself. You held events where you took contributions of which some were used for improvements and maintenance. Much like the events that I have paid for where the guys running the event or league have made it clear that 50% goes to payout, 25% to the club, and 25% to course improvement/maintenance. I never begrudge any of that. The club is the one that decides what course modifications are made (e.g. trees and bushes removed; new trees planted) and I don't begrudge that either even though I don't always agree - but if I felt strongly, I should join the group that is making the decisions.

hat you're forgetting, and what you're first point completely swung and missed on, is that if not for the efforts of said DBs, that course quite possibly may not be there for you to play, on your own time, and often for free. This is the disconnect those you whining in this thread don't seem to get. Perhaps it is you butthurt types who need to go build a course, raise the funds, do all of the sweat equity in getting it approved, paid for, cleaned up and put in the ground, and start a club of your own so you can keep the good times rolling. Then you can see this issue from the other side. Perhaps then, you'll understand.

Again you can't read apparently. I didn't say all leagues and clubs are DBs. I said that it's possible that the OP encountered one that was. I specifically cited that I encountered one that was but also encountered many more that weren't. My butt doesn't hurt (apparently you're intolerant about other things as well). I know many guys who have gotten courses put in and applaud all their efforts. I have assisted on the weekend moving fallen trees and clearing fairways. When one local course lost a basket in a storm, I wrote a check for $750 to get it replaced. And you know what extra rights that grants me on the course? Absolutely none nor should it. Volunteer work is exactly that - I never expect special privileges as once the good deed is done, it's over. Most of this stuff is a labor of love - the guys working the course are getting the benefit of a better course so it's not as if it's totally selfless.

If picking up trash counts as course maintenance then I've been doing it for 20 years. You may be the hardest working guy at your course, I don't know you. But most courses have a few guys who do 90% of the work and a bunch of guys who show up for leagues only. Nothing wrong with that - people don't all have the time to volunteer. But the attitude that if you don't play leagues and/or are not a member of the club than you have less of a right to use a course or have an opinion is exactly what I was talking about. And unfortunately your note directly conveys that message. I don't really care as I will continue to throw money and time to the courses where the atmosphere is good and if the unfriendly courses shut down, no effect on me.

P.S. For "pay-to-play" courses, I pay. I do not find ways to sneak around playing as I see suggested here. For private P2P, I normally give $20 rather than the meager $1-$5 requested because I figure that this person is definitely the one who is working it and I want to keep these courses alive. So you make think I'm a whiner but actually I believe I contribute more than someone who plays in a league in the hope of cashing. Just because I don't want to join the club because I prefer playing at a faster pace doesn't make me a non-contributor. And you may be a great guy but you come across as someone hostile to anyone who doesn't belong to your club. I'm probably wrong but as I said previously, it's hard to read tone in these forums.