• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Full hitting

It's looking really good, HUB. The bracing looks solid, and it looks like your back leg is getting turned in and under at the right time too.

Also, we have to stop getting the same shoes.

It's looking really good, HUB. The bracing looks solid, and it looks like your back leg is getting turned in and under at the right time too.

Also, we have to stop getting the same shoes.

Thanks man, I only see the negatives, so it's good to hear that. I may have to (gulp) start working on my old man flexibility soon. I have real issues with that... like rusted robots make me look bad.

1/2 price on the Adidas? That deal was too good to pass up.

His angles are just BETTER.

Oei3nEu.png

I got lazy with my off arm. Simon keeps it tighter. He generates power with his lower body better and can get lower than I can.
y3r59YV.png

He's keeping hand more on the outside longer, giving a faster ejection.
UA0nMHA.png

It's pretty noticeable at this point. His hand is waiting longer to pull around.
0thRfbH.png

T5XI2UZ.png

Also notice that he opens his plant foot sooner.
E6YlGZ7.png

For reference, I threw that wizard 290' on a hyzer and about 5' uphill. More work to do...

It looks like the difference in his hand positioning is his grip... your thumb is on the outside of the rim, while his is much more toward the middle. His thumb placement puts more hyzer on the disc, but he has the arm speed to counteract that.

It looks like the difference in his hand positioning is his grip... your thumb is on the outside of the rim, while his is much more toward the middle. His thumb placement puts more hyzer on the disc, but he has the arm speed to counteract that.

What I meant, was that he's got more disc to pull around at that point that I do.

zfik5i2.png

By delaying the hand, he'll pull around further than I will - which will make it faster.

Keeping the hand on the outside longer is tough. Right now, it's a variable I can't control very well.

I do move my thumb in and out towards the rim - to adjust nose angle, but on this shot, I was keeping the disc more nose down (thumb towards rim) to shape my shot to flip up.

What I meant, was that he's got more disc to pull around at that point that I do.

zfik5i2.png

By delaying the hand, he'll pull around further than I will - which will make it faster.

Keeping the hand on the outside longer is tough. Right now, it's a variable I can't control very well.

I do move my thumb in and out towards the rim - to adjust nose angle, but on this shot, I was keeping the disc more nose down (thumb towards rim) to shape my shot to flip up.

Try bending over the disc a little more, it seems like he has a disc a little further away from his body than you. It looks like he is leaning over the disc at an angle more, while you're more vertical. I think this is how he is able keep the hand on the outside longer.

This is something im working on as well, I usually end up being too vertical in the throw.

Thanks man, I only see the negatives, so it's good to hear that. I may have to (gulp) start working on my old man flexibility soon. I have real issues with that... like rusted robots make me look bad.

1/2 price on the Adidas? That deal was too good to pass up.

Yea, that deal was way too good to pass up.

I've been stretching every day for the past month, and it is starting to pay off. Even if you just spend 5-10 minutes a day it makes a huge difference.

I've been stretching every day for the past month, and it is starting to pay off. Even if you just spend 5-10 minutes a day it makes a huge difference.

I keep telling myself this, I keep almost doing it. I almost started doing Val Jankins yoga thing she did for the month. All these things I almost do.

Inspire me - what stretches do you do, how many times a day? bear in mind I haven't been able to touch my toes for the last 10 years...

I have a really hard time making changes to my routine so the fact that I have actually kept up with my stretching and calisthenics for this long is crazy!

I stretch once in the morning within an hour or so of getting up, and then again in the evening sometime after dinner. Mostly I've been sticking to pretty basic stretches. One thing that has helped me a lot is something I learned in yoga last year: make sure to breath calmly and regularly during stretches. Sink slightly deeper into your stretch on the out breath, and NEVER tense up and stop breathing during your stretching. I had a really bad habit of straining during my stretches and not breathing which makes it that much harder to stretch effectively. It's also calming to have a slight focus on the breath during your routine.

Stretches:
1) touch your toes/go as far to your toes or past your toes as you can
2) same thing but spread your legs out wider like you are doing a partial split
3) pec stretch against a door frame or wall, and I like to do this with my hand higher than my shoulder and then lower
4) lat/tricep stretch
27903256(300x300).jpg

5) calf stretch
6) quad stretch
7) glute stretch
166xNxpiriformis_stretch_seated_1.jpg.pagespeed.ic.BRiinEsAHR.jpg

That's pretty much it! I try to keep it to 10-15 minutes.

Wow. I am so glad that I did this frame to frame match up. I REALLY didn't think there was any difference in the timing of the plant foot opening. Mine was happening later, and also... I tend to get ankle issues.

I can't believe how much better I was throwing today by simply releasing the torsion right after the weight loads against the front side. Doing that makes the ankle feel no real torque and there's nothing resisting the hips to come through fully.

I am just so damn happy! I over threw a 445' hole by 30' and the disc was 10' high at max... I think I've been 20' short before!

Thanks for all the input, it made a big difference.

I almost called clard to rave, but thought better of it.

It's been my observation of the pros that, universally, the heel pivot happens right at the hit. If you're waiting until later, you're definitely experiencing some OAT on the ankle :p

470' golf shot is ridiculous! I need some dry fields to throw on so I can trust my grip and planting. So many seemingly minor things in this thread are making huge breakthroughs when the other things are going properly. I want some of that distance too!

You could have called me ;) That's a awesome. Any golf shot 450' or more is an epic feat. It's so exciting to hear about this kind of progress.

We usually just skicky big culmination posts. I had a couple rounds this weekend that continue to reinforce the benefit of letting the hips shift through smoothly. I spent quit a bit of time thinking about it, and what it feels like is that when I'd keep my plant foot planted at this point:

T5XI2UZ.png

I was braking the rotation - and definitely torquing my ankle. I'd spent so much time focusing on shifting into the brace, that I over-did it, kind of holding onto the sensation longer than was beneficial.

The proper pivot feels like everything is coming through on greased ball bearings.

paulBH.gif

will2.gif.gif

dave.gif

They all release that plant to let the hips come through.

I am going to have to do some video review fieldwork to see that I'm not throwing other stuff out of whack - as I will often do, but my distance immediately increased by 25' and in a few cases 50'.

I know sometimes when I do the half-speed X-step to 60%ish throw with mids/putters I won't have my plant foot release at all. I'm thinking this indicates that I am doing the same thing as you were on higher powered shots...not letting the foot rotate until it has to from my body following through rather than pivoting during the swing.

Anything that gains 25'+ instantly has my full attention, that's for sure. Especially when your base distance is already so high.

The foot pivot is just something that happens as a byproduct of torque and weight shift, and when it happens is the result of form and body positioning/balance, and sometimes the surface friction.

The Lizotte/Shusterick/Eagle type form tend to pivot earlier than others(it has to do with being more bent/angled and lower center of gravity, so with the leg at a harder angle it will pivot quicker automatically because there is less foot contact/pressure(vertically) and they push horizontally harder from the rear foot). Most top pros start to pivot right at release or just after.

McBeth pivot right at or after release on distance shot:

Wiggins and Jarvis brothers don't pivot until well after release. I'd bet that Wiggins and Jarvis brothers would say the foot pivoting before release would cost them distance.

Leaving the plant foot planted like Jarvis is I think why I have had ankle soreness, especially throwing fieldwork in grass.

I was trying to keep the plant foot cemented down and letting the momentum open the foot, which it can do on concrete - but not nearly as easily in grass. I was fighting the pivot.

Now I'm releasing the toe pressure and it swings open on its own.

Leaving the plant foot planted like Jarvis is I think why I have had ankle soreness, especially throwing fieldwork in grass.

I was trying to keep the plant foot cemented down and letting the momentum open the foot, which it can do on concrete - but not nearly as easily in grass. I was fighting the pivot.

Now I'm releasing the toe pressure and it swings open on its own.

I would think ankle pain would come more from rolling issues rather than rotation (which would show up in the knee if you were preventing it).
Chance that you are rolling on the softer surface?
Like either keeping on your instep in the brace but over pronating or losing the brace and supinating?

Regarding stretching: when you are at your maximum tension point try gradually flexing the affected muscles. Then relax the flex. You will be able to then go deeper. The tension you have in your muscles is a protective feature built into your ancestry. Back then it was a matter of survival to not pull a muscle (you could not throw the club and your family would starve). By tensing your muscles you are fooling that protective feature and giving the muscle permission to go further when you relax.
Be carefully with this and work into it slowly.

I am just so damn happy! I over threw a 445' hole by 30' and the disc was 10' high at max... I think I've been 20' short before!

Thanks for all the input, it made a big difference.

I almost called clard to rave, but thought better of it.

Awesome, would love to see some updated video of your bombs when you have the chance. Thx!