• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Gateway Voodoo

I think the Voodoo came out in the fall one year, and I was testing them out when we went to Chicago for Thanksgiving. I had one Wizard in the bag as a fallback; that Wizard was the only thing I could putt with in that howling Chicago wind the whole trip. I took the Voodoo out of my bag when we got home; have not touched them since.

Sometimes that one shot is the only shot a disc gets. I'm sure the Voodoo are fine and with some adjustment I could have putt in the wind with them, but I was already happy with Wizards and Warlocks and really didn't need to figure out the Voodoo. Since that fall I've gone back to some old thrashed small bead Aviars I had in storage and putt with those in the wind. If I can putt with a beat small bead Aviar in the wind I can putt with a Voodoo in the wind. I just didn't see why I needed to bother.

I think this is why so many people still putt with Aviars. There are lots of good putters out there; you just need to pick one. A lot of us started with Aviars and just decided that there was no reason to change. I've tried lots and lots of putters. Most of them are solid discs. You only need one though.

Also when you start to get use to a Voodoo,you realize, hey this a broken in Wizard. Once it really gets broken in it's a thing of beauty.

I used Aviars for a while,but the Voodoo is different. it just feels right in my hand. works great for my pitch putting style. :hfive:

Also when you start to get use to a Voodoo,you realize, hey this a broken in Wizard. Once it really gets broken in it's a thing of beauty.

I used Aviars for a while,but the Voodoo is different. it just feels right in my hand. works great for my pitch putting style. :hfive:
Personal preference thing: I hate beat Wizards. I like beefy to broken in Wizards. Once they are around the Voodooish stage, I chuck them.

i have a 180g glow voodoo that is a thrower (for glow rounds only) i really like it
but still use a magic inside the circle (day or night)

I've been rocking the Voodoo as my main putter for a bit. I have 3 older Super Stupid Soft Voodoos that are really really soft and floppy.They are broke in real good. I putt better with them this way.

I bought 3 new ones that feel exactly the same,but they are a little bit stiffer on the rim and flight plate. I want to get rid of that feel and get them to the way my other 3 Voodoos are.

What is the best way to quickly get them to that feeling?

Is it best to leave them in the Heat of my Car?

What about leaving them on the Deck in direct sunlight?

Putting them in the Dryer maybe?

I forgot the best method for this.
I find that some of Gateway's putters seem more tense on the flight plate then others. I find that the ones that have a very tense (firm) flight plate take longer to break in, but last longest in the sweet spot. The ones that have the loosest tops are better straight off the shelf, but leave the sweet spot quickest.

I love the SS plastic personally, but I keep a rotation of firm SSS and floppy SS in the bag. I think I have a total of 14-15 Voodoo's at this point that I cycle through. The floppiest are best in the winter, the firmest in the summer and some got too lumpy and are worthless to me, and I also have two EVO's (finally) that I am breaking in at home.

I would keep 2 of your old ones in your bag and one new one and use it on practice rounds until it is where you like it then cycle out an old one and replace it with a new one... and that is how you end up with 14-15 putters.

A well seasoned and trusted VooDoo is always your best friend:)

I find that some of Gateway's putters seem more tense on the flight plate then others. I find that the ones that have a very tense (firm) flight plate take longer to break in, but last longest in the sweet spot. The ones that have the loosest tops are better straight off the shelf, but leave the sweet spot quickest.

I love the SS plastic personally, but I keep a rotation of firm SSS and floppy SS in the bag. I think I have a total of 14-15 Voodoo's at this point that I cycle through. The floppiest are best in the winter, the firmest in the summer and some got too lumpy and are worthless to me, and I also have two EVO's (finally) that I am breaking in at home.

I would keep 2 of your old ones in your bag and one new one and use it on practice rounds until it is where you like it then cycle out an old one and replace it with a new one... and that is how you end up with 14-15 putters.

A well seasoned and trusted VooDoo is always your best friend:)

Cool man. :D

the ones I like the best are the Lumpy Soft floppy ones. The Two that I have that are this way are money. They are great at putting from 30ft and in.

I was thinking of getting a Evolution Plastic one as well. To be honest I was thinking of getting all 4 of Gateway's putters in this plastic for driving just to try out.

I have 9 Voodoo's right now so I can see myself getting more in the future.

I really like the feel of the EVO, but the 2 I have seem to have a little dome to them and they fly slightly different then my other ones. I am using them at home to beat them up a little, but I think they are going to work out in the long run.

I just recounted this morning, and I am sitting on 16 Voodoo's right now, I think I have a problem:)

I need to get a new HPP Voodoo, gave mine to a friend who was starting out. On calm days they are the straightest fliers around, but they cannot hold up in windy conditions like their Wizard counterpart.

It's become strictly a putting putter for me lately. The rim is comfortable to hold and it makes for a great release. I feel really confident with it because it reminds me of a smaller lid and quite often toss one around with someone else.

I currently have four erasers, they start out soft then become tackier and more pliable after some use. If they made a chalky version I'd have to stock up.

I really like the feel of the EVO, but the 2 I have seem to have a little dome to them and they fly slightly different then my other ones. I am using them at home to beat them up a little, but I think they are going to work out in the long run.

I just recounted this morning, and I am sitting on 16 Voodoo's right now, I think I have a problem:)

16 sounds awesome. I need to get me some more now that I think about it. :D

I need to get a new HPP Voodoo, gave mine to a friend who was starting out. On calm days they are the straightest fliers around, but they cannot hold up in windy conditions like their Wizard counterpart.

It's become strictly a putting putter for me lately. The rim is comfortable to hold and it makes for a great release. I feel really confident with it because it reminds me of a smaller lid and quite often toss one around with someone else.

I currently have four erasers, they start out soft then become tackier and more pliable after some use. If they made a chalky version I'd have to stock up.

I love the release on these putters too. They don't grab on to your hand like most putters do. They are very easy to gauge when putting.

Man if they made some Chalky versions I would be getting me a bunch of them.

On topic though - great all around disc. I like how it flies like a beat in o/s putter right out of the box. More
than anything though, I love the smooth profile. It makes for cleaner putts and upshots imo. I just liked the
Anode better.

Speaking of which, I still have my Voodoos kicking around...One SSS-ish glow, 3 SSS, 1 SS. I'd like to just offload them as a set if anyone's interested in putting stock (pic in my FSOT album).

I would order at least 6 Chalky Voodoo's and handle all the eye-rolling my wife would give me with one giant smile:D

I carry three ss voodoos. I used to have a evohpp voodoo, it has been retired for a bit.

i carry a sss for up shots. and 2 ss. I putt with one ss putt, and keep the other as a spare( i switch them every 2 rounds so the stay beat at the same level). I also carry a glow for really long jump putts and for upshots that i want to skip (the sss doesn't skip at all).

I don't putt with the voodoo but I have felt it in the super soft and the glow plastic and dang it felt sweet! Flew very straight from about 40ft and in just run the chains easily. Gateway knows putters, end of story.

My 3 Super Stupid Soft Voodoo's are finally starting to break in a little. Had to change my line up angle. Man I can't wait til they get like my beat to crap ones.

I'll eventually post pictures of the Voodoo's I have been throwing. They all have Greatful Dead Stamps. :D

I have a quick question about Voodoo's.

I've never used my Voodoo's for Driving. I was curious as to how well these drive off the tee. I have a Pure that I use off the Tee,but If I can use Voodoo's for this spot that would be great.

I have a Zero Line Pure. That is beat in and I use for turnovers and easy straight shots.

I use a Opto Pure for Straight Bombs with little fade. Or Shots with a little bit more fade.

What do you think? If I switched to Voodoo's for this would they cover what my Pure's can cover?

Latest posts