• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Gateway Wizard

I can't seem to find any in stock anywhere right now but this is the one I'm referring to. Even says "extra durable" stamped right on it.

ea834e363d90dc27cfed24ec97de8d49.jpg

I can't seem to find any in stock anywhere right now but this is the one I'm referring to. Even says "extra durable" stamped right on it.

ea834e363d90dc27cfed24ec97de8d49.jpg

Wizards were one of my first putters and I am revisiting them after a couple years of not having used them. I bought a Nylon Blend like this one:

https://www.marshallstreetdiscgolf.com/product/nylon-blend-wizard-8

I also bought a diamond at the same time thinking that the nylon would beat in faster and the diamond would maintain the stability longer. Now, full disclosure, I am switching (tentatively) to only wizards (mold consolidation) from the envy.

I say that because the nylon wizard was like 2 3 -1 1 for me and the diamond was a true 2 3 0 2. Which...I can't say I didn't like because I wanted the Nylon to be less stable but I was a bit surprised at how easy it turned over.

Love the graffiti stamp in that Marshall Street link. I have some glow Nylons. I just got 3 recycled hemp blends in the mail today. Great feel.

My Hemp is a little softer than eraser, but you don't feel it unless you really throw it . You can feel the lip flex out

I have a question regarding lunar plastic. I recently picked up a wizard in Lunar and it is like a dust magnet. Yesterday i could actually feel the static on the disc and anytime I missed the basket (yes I know the easiest solution is to stop missing putts) the disc would come up covered in debris and dirt. Is this typical for lunar? It definitely had me switching back to SSS yesterday for putting duties.

I have a question regarding lunar plastic. I recently picked up a wizard in Lunar and it is like a dust magnet. Yesterday i could actually feel the static on the disc and anytime I missed the basket (yes I know the easiest solution is to stop missing putts) the disc would come up covered in debris and dirt. Is this typical for lunar? It definitely had me switching back to SSS yesterday for putting duties.

I agree.
Tiny pieces of leaves, dead grass, dust, etc.
Lunars are the only soft Wizards I have so I can't make any comparisons to other soft Wizards.
Maybe the " velvety" texture?

I found lunar and hemp/coffee to be dust magnets. That aspect of them tends to wear off with use though. Probably a combo of hand oils and dust getting packed in. Still nicely grippy though.

I've always found SS and Eraser the most consistent for rigidity and grip. They're both fairly grippy but the disc doesn't give very much and flop in the hand. I've found great feeling other blends, but if I'm ordering online or something, these are my go tos

I actually haven't found Eraser or SS to be consistent in flex. The grip has been pretty consistent though.

I definitely suggest in person Gateway purchases when you can. Otherwise, somewhere like OTB Discs where they provide a flex and dome estimate for every individual disc.

The biggest thing for me is the shoulder on Gateway discs. I'm really fortunate to have a good shop near me that's pretty well stocked (I'm bummed they only have Gateway putters in sure grip, no premium or mids/drivers), and got to go through all the discs. I picked a pair of SS Voodoos for putting that are slightly more flexible with a higher shoulder. Better for putting for me. And I got a firm Voodoo for driving that's rigid, grippy, and very flat. Found a similarly flat SS Wizard to try out as well, and sifted through a lot of surprisingly slick SS plastic.

Every time I've bought Wizards online, I usually get a grab bag of different feels and only end up throwing one or two of them. In person is absolutely the way to go.