• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Gateway Wizard

Track yourself down one of the opaque diamond wizards, if you want to have the most overstable wizard. I've got a black and a blue that are almost like a zone in terms of stability. Even thrown with a fair bit of anhyzer, they still fight back and have a strong hyzer finish.

Yeah mine is very opaque. Flies like any other Wizard just not that far. And it is pretty flexy which is a turn-off for me. Not really sure I even need a very OS putter, when the Scott Withers Gator is overstable enough that even as a mid it doesnt go very far. :D

Yeah mine is very opaque. Flies like any other Wizard just not that far. And it is pretty flexy which is a turn-off for me. Not really sure I even need a very OS putter, when the Scott Withers Gator is overstable enough that even as a mid it doesnt go very far. :D

My two diamonds are more on the firmer side...so maybe that's the difference in flight?!

My two diamonds are more on the firmer side...so maybe that's the difference in flight?!

Differences in flight for Wizards have to do with the "shoulder" of the disc. The straighter ones have a low shoulder that transitions to a flat top. The more overstable ones have a higher shoulder that leads to a sometimes flat sometimes slightly domey top. They feel deeper in the hand.

Differences in flight for Wizards have to do with the "shoulder" of the disc. The straighter ones have a low shoulder that transitions to a flat top. The more overstable ones have a higher shoulder that leads to a sometimes flat sometimes slightly domey top. They feel deeper in the hand.

After looking at my two last night, I completely agree with this. I was comparing a few of my old wizards to the recent runs and the nose is noticeably different. My older wizards are straighter with a slight hyzer finish. My newer runs have a very pronounced fade to them.

Ordered a "Firm" blend thrower...interested to see how they fly. Already have a pair for putting for next year. They feel nice in the hand, a little higher shouldered.

So what has come out lately that has a nice low shoulder? It's time to start considering a new stack of putting putters.

Get yourself some of these wizards. I have a small stack and they might be in my top 3 of wizard runs. Lower shoulder, putt straight with a reliable slight fade on the end. They also drive incredibly straight too. I told Dom that they need to make this a regular stock item.

Ok, so only the top and upper right discs are wizards. The bottom 3 are voodoos. These are all from the early 2017 swirly runs. The top wizard is a wall hanger, the right wizard is my dad's main putting putter, and the voodoos are all in the practice putter stack. If I ever switched to putting voodoos the orange would likely go in my bag immediately.

Attachments

• IMG_20170116_115358.jpg
    IMG_20170116_115358.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 43
I'm going to get a Wizard for 1 disc rounds, and I'm wondering what everyone's thoughts are on Evo Diamond vs Platinum? This thing is going to be smacking trees a fair amount, so I want a premium plastic. Is it fair to assume that Platinum feels close to Star and Diamond to Champion? I've only ever touched sure grips and nowhere near me carries Gateway.

Separate question: someone on another forum said his PW Warlocks don't have the raised Gateway logo underneath. Is the same true of PW Wizards?

Separate question: someone on another forum said his PW Warlocks don't have the raised Gateway logo underneath. Is the same true of PW Wizards?

The raised lettering varies from run to run. The first run PWP Wizard has a different logo underneath when compared to recent runs. Also, I have some random wizards from recent runs that have zero tooling on the bottom. They're from all variations of flex.

As for a premium wizard, I'd recommend waiting until they have the HD Wizard out. But if you can't wait, I'd go with the Diamond. And if you can find an opaque diamond one, you'll be happier as they're not as slick as the translucent ones.

I'm going to get a Wizard for 1 disc rounds, and I'm wondering what everyone's thoughts are on Evo Diamond vs Platinum? This thing is going to be smacking trees a fair amount, so I want a premium plastic. Is it fair to assume that Platinum feels close to Star and Diamond to Champion? I've only ever touched sure grips and nowhere near me carries Gateway.

The Platinums tend to have a bit better glide and higher shoulder than diamond, and while the Diamonds are consistent with glassy modern Champ plastic, the Platinums have varied a bit, the Barstamp ones were a bit softer and flexy like ESP FLX, but the ones with the small rounded Wizard stamp they used for the G series putters are stiffer and similar to Star with a bit of pearl effect in the plastic. I do dyes with Gateway discs, I have some of the modern platinum and diamond Wizards along with some champ feeling opaque milky white ones that took dye really well from older runs years back if anyone is interested in buying.

The raised lettering varies from run to run. The first run PWP Wizard has a different logo underneath when compared to recent runs. Also, I have some random wizards from recent runs that have zero tooling on the bottom. They're from all variations of flex.

As for a premium wizard, I'd recommend waiting until they have the HD Wizard out. But if you can't wait, I'd go with the Diamond. And if you can find an opaque diamond one, you'll be happier as they're not as slick as the translucent ones.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is HD plastic? I'm just getting back into the sport so I'm not up on all the news.

EDIT - Nevermind, just saw the HD Chief on the Gateway site. What's the ETA for HD Wizards?

Last edited:
Forgive my ignorance, but what is HD plastic? I'm just getting back into the sport so I'm not up on all the news.

EDIT - Nevermind, just saw the HD Chief on the Gateway site. What's the ETA for HD Wizards?

The HD plastic is a mix that's very similar to a mix from a competitor that is named after a celestial body ;-)

I'm hoping really soon. The HD plastic is pretty legit and can take a beating. My Blade, Spear, Demon and Apex have hit many trees and rocks without any warping or gashing. The positive about the HD plastic is that it molds up flat'ish on most molds(Exception being the Spear and the Apex).

Every PW I have owned had raised tooling. I've had about 15 of em. Diamond has a good feel. The new HD is supposed to be their shizzle.

The HD plastic is a mix that's very similar to a mix from a competitor that is named after a celestial body ;-)

I'm hoping really soon. The HD plastic is pretty legit and can take a beating. My Blade, Spear, Demon and Apex have hit many trees and rocks without any warping or gashing. The positive about the HD plastic is that it molds up flat'ish on most molds(Exception being the Spear and the Apex).

I'm considering putting a demon back in the bag after seeing the profile pic of it in hd.

Demon is awesome and was ahead of its time. It was my Zone before the zone existed and if you wanted an extra beef mid your option was a pro-d drone that felt like it was made if cheese.

Demon is awesome and was ahead of its time. It was my Zone before the zone existed and if you wanted an extra beef mid your option was a pro-d drone that felt like it was made if cheese.

Not true, the Gator was out in DX and Champion at the time (Metal Flake Champion was later) as a disc in the mid 2000's before the Zone came out and was taller OS like putter midrange. However the Chsmpion was what you wanted provided the disc was more flat top and not a micro dome like the Champion Rhyno or else the disc was more OS then the Viper or Whippet.