• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

GG Throwing Wraiths at distance comps?

semisensei

Par Member
Just read on Innova's site that Garrett Gurthie is throwing Halo Wraiths for his distance comps. That struck me as odd- Wraith is an 11 speed disc. Wouldn't a disc capable of max distance be as fast as possible? I think he used to throw Katanas, a 13 speed. Anyone have any idea why he would make the switch?

Just read on Innova's site that Garrett Gurthie is throwing Halo Wraiths for his distance comps. That struck me as odd- Wraith is an 11 speed disc. Wouldn't a disc capable of max distance be as fast as possible? I think he used to throw Katanas, a 13 speed. Anyone have any idea why he would make the switch?

Speed doesn't always translate to distance, although usually It does - however I would propose two possible and likely reasons.

#1 and more likely, slower discs are more forgiving. They may not get all of the distance a faster disc will, but their sweet spot can be hit say 70% of the time vs a higher speed disc which could only be hit 50% of the time, when throwing full power. Distance competitions usually give you three throws. So if you can get 90-95% of the distance with a wraith as you could with a katana, but do it with 20% better success rate, it would make a lot of sense to start throwing wraiths.

#2 and less likely but possible, and potentially in addition to #1: slower discs can be gripped easier and with more force, meaning more accuracy, and more importantly, more efficient release, meaning all of the power is transferred to the disc vs being lost with slip/early release.

Could be either one or a combination of the two.

I actually found that I throw my Surges further than my Zeuses and it's more consistent. I'd guess that it is easier for him to get it all perfect with a Wraith vs. a Katana. Could also be that Katanas are inherently inconsistent meaning it is hard to find replacements.

Interesting points there. I'm not familiar with this idea of a sweet spot- do slower discs generally have a bigger sweet spot? What is a sweet spot, exactly?

More often than not, the max distance line is about finding the right blend of stability, height, and angle as opposed to going for sheer speed.

GG might have an easier time hitting the right combination of those with the Wraiths. It could also be that he just wants to rep his new signature mold.

Speaking of Wraiths, I'm playing in my first tourney above a c-tier today in 15 years. I can remember the Wraith being brand-new the last time I played in a B-tier and people BOMBING them farther than anything I'd seen. There was a particular hole at Robert Morris Park (#11) where I saw a young 20-something in Am-1 hit the woods across the road over 450' with them while warming up before the tourney started and I came to the conclusion I was a dinosaur at that point.

I still don't throw anything above a speed 10.

Also since he has a halo wraith tour series it could help boost sales of them.

People also need to realize, GG wasnt throwing normal Katanas. They were insanely, domey. Like Domey to the point where you pull it out and show people `look how domey this thing is` and everyone is all like `damn thats domey`

Most importantly. GG is here to make money, that guy's got child support and car payments etc. He is throwing a Halo Wraith, because he wants you to buy his disc. Same reason he throws Infinite Discs Emperor's.

Last edited:
People also need to realize, GG wasnt throwing normal Katanas. They were insanely, domey. Like Domey to the point where you pull it out and show people `look how domey this thing is` and everyone is all like `damn thats domey`

Most importantly. GG is here to make money, that guy's got child support and car payments etc. He is throwing a Halo Wraith, because he wants you to buy his disc. Same reason he throws Infinite Discs Emperor's.

Wonder what GG would choose to throw.