• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Go to driver for amateur player

tram

I discovered this sport in the beginning of this year and fell in love with it. I've been playing for about 4 months now a couple times a week. I still have my probems. I accidently anhyser more than I should. And I only drive between 250-300 feet. I'm a RHBH thrower and I'm getting better every time I play. I hate the idea of DX right now because I don't like the idea of a disc changing dramatically on me. I'm interested in what discs will do once they are slightly beat in and I would prefer for them to stay that way for a while. It's worth the extra couple of bucks for better plastic.

I'm happy with my putter and mids, but I can't find a driver that works for me, especially in the wind. The drivers I have right now are definitely understable and I think I'm ready for slightly overstable to stable. I know I'm not ready for the wraith and can guess I'm not ready for the firebird or predator. But on the other hand, I'm also looking into discs that I can grow into.

I've done a lot of research and for someone like me I've narrowed my selection down to -

Fairway Drivers -
Champion Teebird
QJLS

Long Range Driver -
QOLF
SOLF
Champion Orc

I would prefer to only get one driver - like if the QOLF could be used as a fairway driver for example. Later I'll definitely have a fairway and a distance driver, but right now I don't know. The courses in my area are mainly tunnel shots, but there are definitely some wide open holes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

tram said:
I know I'm not ready for the wraith and can guess I'm not ready for the firebird or predator.

I disagree here. A predator was one fo the first disc's I learned with and is now a staple in my bag. Start yourself with Elite X and not Z or above and youll be fine. X plastic does not require a huge arm to throw and you should be able to control it just fine.

I hate the idea of DX right now because I don't like the idea of a disc changing dramatically on me. I'm interested in what discs will do once they are slightly beat in and I would prefer for them to stay that way for a while. It's worth the extra couple of bucks for better plastic.

i highly recommend dropping this mentality.

Blake_T said:
I hate the idea of DX right now because I don't like the idea of a disc changing dramatically on me. I'm interested in what discs will do once they are slightly beat in and I would prefer for them to stay that way for a while. It's worth the extra couple of bucks for better plastic.

i highly recommend dropping this mentality.

Okay, let me rephrase. I just don't like the idea of people advising me to get discs in dx plastic because of what the disc does when new. I've heard stories of discs changing characteristics after one tree hit. If I did get a dx driver, I'd be more interested in what's it's like after it's broken in.

Then again, there are night mini-tournaments here ever week and it would also be a nice bonus to have a semi-transparent disc for lights. But that's just a bonus.

With 250-300' of power you will probably throw fairway drivers as far as distance drivers, but with much more accuracy.

If you can feel the discs you are getting, you could try to get a DX Teebird that feels really soft and gummy compared to other DX. I have an orange 175 DX Teebird that is nearly indestructible, and has only had slight variations in its flight after 5 months or so of constant use. I'd stay away from Champ plastic Teebirds, but a lighter Star Teebird or Star TL might do you just right.

If you need tougher plastic than baseline, X plastic Trackers, Talons, Predators, and XS should be easy to throw (some predictably others with more D) and last quite long.

From what I heard and the 2 throws I've had with it, the SOLF might not be a bad choice either for an easy to throw driver with good durability.

Okay, let me rephrase. I just don't like the idea of people advising me to get discs in dx plastic because of what the disc does when new. I've heard stories of discs changing characteristics after one tree hit. If I did get a dx driver, I'd be more interested in what's it's like after it's broken in.

Then again, there are night mini-tournaments here ever week and it would also be a nice bonus to have a semi-transparent disc for lights. But that's just a bonus.

i never value a disc by its brand new characteristics because they always suck with the exception of putters, i like to putt with newer putters because they are faster and fade every time.

most people tape the lights on the top of their disc anyways.

Blake_T said:
most people tape the lights on the top of their disc anyways.

Yeah, I play a fair amount of GLOW rounds and an LED taped to the top of DX plastic is pretty darn visible.

tram said:
I'm happy with my putter and mids, but I can't find a driver that works for me, especially in the wind. The drivers I have right now are definitely understable and I think I'm ready for slightly overstable to stable.
At the distances you're throwing, many of those drivers should be stable to overstable except maybe the QJLS. I actually throw new DX Teebirds into moderate headwinds with pretty good success and haven't found a use for my Star Teebird becuse of how overstable it is, and I'm throwing 360' consistantly.

I'd keep the Champ Teebird for headwinds and try out a DX Cheetah, DX Ace, DX Gazelle or D Cyclone for the rest of your shots. Do the "Line Shaping" training exercise with them in a field.

A Banshee, Blaze, EXP1 or something of that sort might be good to mess around with as well. They're great for all sorts of hyzers and headwind shots as well.

Does the LED on top change the flight characteristics of the disc, at all? I know the added weight does, but I mean in addition to that... I'd assume the arodynamic changes would have SOME effect.

the lights have negligible flight changes if any. they weigh like 0.8g each

most people i know tape on top because there are certain colors that will neutralize some colored lights

I've been playing for about 11 months now. I started with a DX Leopard/Shark/Aviar set.

I've gone through countless drivers and all the different types of plastic and I'm pretty much back to all DX now for my discs with the exception of my headwind drivers.

I would recommend sticking with easy to control fairway (or control drivers) drivers such as the Leopard, Cheetah, Gazelle until such a time that you're throwing them flat and they're turning over too easy.

The first driver I really clicked with was an Avenger. I only throw about 300' but I have also had good success with the Wraith and Surge even when I was still throwing 210-240. You may not max them out but you can throw them well enough.

As for durability, I like my Flex Surge. It just doesn't seem to get dinged.

Regarding DX plastic... I love it because it's like getting two different discs. And all discs will change over time. If the course you play on doesn't have many trees DX should hold up well anyway.

I totally forgot to mention the jls and the polaris ls, I get the most snap with these. I've got the jls, sjls, and I just picked up a used qjls yesterday. And you are correct, there are very straight, and the sjls can get some serious distance.

I wish they made the polaris in a premium plastic, but I don't see that coming.

Okay, so after looking at what responses I got so far, as far as fairway drivers go the dx teebird seems to be the most popular vote. Blake hasn't given his vote for someone like me, but based off previous forums and reviews I would guess he would vote for the dx teebird.

As far as other suggestions go
1. Predator - I'll probably eventually get one for heavy wind, right now I think I'll go with something a little straighter
2. JLS/QJLS - I have a friend letting me borrow his QJLS so we'll see.
3. Cheetah/Gazelle/Leopard - It "seems" like everything they can do, the teebird can do better.
4. Other - Some of the other suggestions seem like they can overlap with discs I already have, the inferno seems past my ability, and I have another friend who'll let me try out the Polaris.

As far as long range drivers go, it seems no one is advising me to get one. The drivers I do have are a really old beat up CE Valkyrie (found that one) which still gives me problems and a star roadrunner which is fine but only on wide open holes. Neither are good in a headwind. I have a roc and a stingray that I can throw pretty far accurately. I just want to make sure the next driver I get goes a decent distance further without sacrificing too much accuracy. Still, I am really curious about the SOLF. Whatever I get think it will be between 165-170 grams.

tram said:
Okay, so after looking at what responses I got so far, as far as fairway drivers go the dx teebird seems to be the most popular vote. Blake hasn't given his vote for someone like me, but based off previous forums and reviews I would guess he would vote for the dx teebird.

As far as other suggestions go
1. Predator - I'll probably eventually get one for heavy wind, right now I think I'll go with something a little straighter
2. JLS/QJLS - I have a friend letting me borrow his QJLS so we'll see.
3. Cheetah/Gazelle/Leopard - It "seems" like everything they can do, the teebird can do better.
4. Other - Some of the other suggestions seem like they can overlap with discs I already have, the inferno seems past my ability, and I have another friend who'll let me try out the Polaris.

The only thing the Teebird will do better than those discs is fly really straight and a little bit farther. The Gazelle, Cheetah and Cyclone are more versatile. I'm guessing Blake would recommendeither or a Polaris LS or #3, but substitute a D Cyclone for the Leopard.

tram said:

Hi, the first rule of the Disc golf forum is that no disc is past your ability.

Everyone here bombs 175g Z Predators 500 feet accurately, right?

But seriously, you can't go wrong with a Gazelle (get it a bit higher weight than you are used to, I think they fly better 172g+), or a Cyclone (should be fine in the weights you were asking about of 165-170g). They will fly on way more lines than a Teebird, and go pretty much as far.