• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Golfers that don't keep score!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I rarely keep score when I play. But I also don't throw multiple drives, upshots, putts, etc. If I feel like I played well, I can recount from the beginning to find my score, but it isn't really a big focus of mine at the moment. I just like watching the disc fly.

I understand that. You asked about why some people don't keep score so I told you why I don't keep score. The actual number or the change in the number doesn't interest me. It only tells me if I was better or worse. I like a more specific breakdown. What was I better or worse at?

Say I had two rounds where I scored 54. On the first one my driving and approaching was right on, but I missed all my putts outside of 10'. On the second one my driving and approaching was just OK but I hit all of my putts inside of 30'. What I decided to practice next would be very different depending on which round I had, but my score would be the same. That's how I decide on what to focus on for next time but I leave out the part where I have to either write down or remember a number.

Now that I think about it, when my wife asks me how I did disc golfing I usually say something like, "My driving was pretty good but my putting was just OK," or maybe, "My driving was just OK but I hit a lot of long putts," or more realistically, "Bad." ;)

See, I can relate to this approach but at the same time I know that yesterday I felt like I had a pretty good round. I had four birdies but ended up triple bogeying 2 holes and doubling on one, and ended up shooting +7. I got back to the car and added them up and was amazed to see that I shot so poorly. That's info that I find vital to my game because I know which holes I need to work on.

competitive versus other people for prizes. you compete for a prize. Scores really don't matter otherwise. They don't tell you anything important. They don't let you know what to work on, what was or wasn't working, how that new disc felt and threw.

It's not that easy. If you're throwing multiple discs per lie and so on, you can't actually compute a valid score.

I agree. Typically I call this "practicing" unless you throw multiple shots but always count your first thrown disc as your lie.

That's info that I find vital to my game because I know which holes I need to work on.
I think that's a dangerous way to look at it unless you're only concerned at scoring well on that particular course (which might be true if you have a tournament coming up). I've biffed holes before and just written it off as one bad drive and a mental breakdown. I'd take note on what line I need to work on, but if I just looked at it as having to work on that particular hole I might be tempted to practice some weird, nearly useless lines or trick shots that will come up once every 10 rounds rather than working on the line that might save me a stroke per round.

Fixed that for you

Define competitive? I'm always competitive, sometimes I get to be that way against others for prizes, sometimes it's just me vs. the course. Field work is the only time I don't keep score.

Fixed that for you.

Working on throws and different lines, I don't keep score, and that's gotten to be more often. Then there are times where I do see if I can beat my personal best on a course, and that used to be all the time until I found it had me focusing on trying to score low with my same tired form and throws instead of improving on something I don't use a lot.

I like to keep score so I can go back and look at stats and what not when I am bored. I don't expect anyone else on here is looking at my scorebook going "Oh how impressive" or "This guy sucks".

I still keep score when I am trying out new disc I just don't count those additional throws after the first one.

i usually just keep a general + - over par when i play casual. but lately i've been starting to keep track and putting in my scores on this here site

If people talk to me about DG, they usually ask me how I shot. The only time I get asked what I shot is when I'm in a tight competition with someone in a tourney.

Give this man a cigar!

When I throw a disc and it does just what I intended, it's a good shot. When I do this over the entire course, it's a good round and I shot well.

I think that's a dangerous way to look at it unless you're only concerned at scoring well on that particular course (which might be true if you have a tournament coming up). I've biffed holes before and just written it off as one bad drive and a mental breakdown. I'd take note on what line I need to work on, but if I just looked at it as having to work on that particular hole I might be tempted to practice some weird, nearly useless lines or trick shots that will come up once every 10 rounds rather than working on the line that might save me a stroke per round.

Yeah but I know that the three holes I screwed up on yesterday were virtually the same and where I come from those 3 holes can add up to a myriad of different holes on many different courses around here. They were uphill shots with rough on the right and a pond on the left. I typically try to shy away from the left side and hug the right and hyzer into the basket but yesterday I played timidly and hugged the treeline too close. for fear of losing a disc in the water. I played timidly because of a cross wind coming off the pond. I didn't want the wind taking my disc high and hyzering too far left into the pond.

I'm always trying to better my scores on any course, but if I'm having a crappy round I may abandon tracking it. Rather than be pissed the rest of the round, I'll relax and just play. I usually start playing better too.

I've had matches where I was getting upset, but my buddy (who never beats me) was playing well, so I kept my score for him to try and beat. He didn't, but he had fun trying.

It's pretty rare that I don't keep score, but I've had some really fun rounds just throwing.

:hfive: Sorry, I really couldn't pass it up. I even tried to talk myself out of it, but it was too perfect. No malice intended.

I had it coming. I only did that because cjskier seemed to be a little to aggressive in his answers. We all get that way sometimes and I just couldn't resist the temptation to poke the bear. ;)

I almost never keep score. I have more fun improving my throws and trying to hit lines and distances than I do lowering my score. I'm not claiming that it's useless information, just not information that I'm all that interested in. I'm more interested in stuff like, "I'm now throwing my Teebirds 400' consistently, land within 20' of the basket from all shots from within 200' and hit all of my putts from 20' in" than I am my actual score. Stuff like that transfers to courses you've never played before.

This is a philosophy I've been following this year. Maybe not quite those numbers, but the same principle non the less. Scores are for tourneys and leagues. I used to document every round and now I may keep a lose track in my head once in a while. My casual rounds on Saturdays & Sundays are much more loose for me than they were when I was keeping score.

Whoever has the most fun wins - Steady Ed Headrick

IMO its pretty hard to lose track of your score on any given hole you're playing... unless you're one of those 'I parred that, right?' people, or are on 5+ throws and then you probably know what you did wrong.
By the end of the round I have a general idea of how I shot, but on occasion when I play with certain people I do keep track how many + or - I am.
I also try to keep track after I realize I will be helping search for discs often.

Whoever has the most fun wins - Steady Ed Headrick

How very true. I'm just going to count how many beers are missing in my six pack and that's how many down I am for the round. If I start getting real good I'll have to start with a twelve-pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.