• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Golfers that don't keep score!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel strongly both ways. ;)

Playing alone, I take extra shots; work on shaping lines; try new discs; etc. I usually start out playing my first shot and keeping score, but often wind up playing the most interesting drive (not necessarily the best drive), so scorekeeping goes out the window.

Keeping score can also be useful, though, especially since I rarely play tournaments. Learning that a putter-midrange round at a tightly-wooded course (Seneca Creek) scored better than I usually do carrying a full bag provided useful and actionable information.

Hey Stray, you've noticed that too? I've played plenty of rounds where people "keep score in their head," only to find they beat my score of E while they've been singing the bogey blues and two putting all day. Kinda funny.

Who cares? Are you playing for money? Personally, I don't play disc golf for other people...I play for me. I don't generally keep score, but I judge my day based on how I'm throwing my discs. I'm sure I've had days where I've felt like I played better by making quality tee shots but flubbed a couple of putts and perhaps I would have scored lower than on some rounds I don't feel particularly good about...but whatever. Who cares? Do you just want people whom you feel superior to to admit that you are a better disc golfer? Is that what this is all about?

Do you just want people whom you feel superior to to admit that you are a better disc golfer? Is that what this is all about?

Yes. In the group that I play with we keep track of who wins so that we can not only feel superior but be superior. And they have to carry the beer for the next round too.

I'll chime in on this surprisingly vindicative thread. I'm a competitive golfer who has played for 7 years, I keep track of all my rounds hole by hole here in my scorebook. That being said, I have the utmost respect for players who can play without thinking about their score at all. Some of the best players, and best tournament players I know play like this in casual rounds, often times they are the players who I see having the strongest tournament mental games, rather then the person who takes a 4 on the first hole of a tournament and says "damn, I have a 2.89 average on this hole, I'm so stupid!" and spends the rest of his/her round being bugged by that shot. I wish I could play consistently without any score in my mind at all, unfortunately I grew up a very, very competitive kid and I have yet to break that tendency in me.

Yes. In the group that I play with we keep track of who wins so that we can not only feel superior but be superior. And they have to carry the beer for the next round too.

This is what I'm talking about! If something is on the line, you've got to keep score...if there's nothing on the line except your machismo...who cares, right?

That being said, I have the utmost respect for players who can play without thinking about their score at all. Some of the best players, and best tournament players I know play like this in casual rounds, often times they are the players who I see having the strongest tournament mental games.

No mental game isnt the same as strong mental game.

I always keep score. Even on practice rounds. Even if there is nobody else around, I still compete with my best score per course I had up to the moment I played. I am a numbers guy, I wanna beat my longest drive, my best round score, my longest putting streak etc.

If you're not keeping score, then you aren't playing golf...you're just throwing discs. I prefer to play golf.

Rockwell-Sombody-Watching-Me.jpg
Those smileys are way too serious looking. Like they're looking just at me. :(

I play both sides of the fence on this one. If I'm playing a round with some friends who are very causal with their game, I don't keep score. I'm just out there to talk some chit, and to have some fun.

However, if I'm playing a more heated round or a tourney, I keep my score. That way I know if I'm improving, or if I need to get out and play more often and get some practice in.

Some people i know think it feels too competitive if you are announcing your score after each hole. I didnt keep score for the 1st few times, now i fill out score sheets lol. I usually keep score for my group so we can post um on here. We're not toury strict...We normally dont do gimis, but we are pretty liberal with the mulligans. When you all keep score do you * your mullis on your score card? or mark a penalty? Does it annoy you if someone takes more than 2 mullis in 18 holes?

I never keep score. I know how am I playing and do not need numbers to tell me that. Numbers can also be very misleading whereas just knowing how I played can not. Even doing tournaments, I do not keep score. If it is my turn with the cards, I will write down the numbers, but that is all I am doing. I am just writing numbers, I still have no idea what I am at. It is just something else to distract me and keep me off of my game. I do not need any extra added pressures as the game is already challenging enough. I shot over 1000 for the day last tournament I played, so it works for me. To each their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts