• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Good air bounce disc?

buzzinb

Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
One of guys that I have been D golfing with lately throws a shot he calls the air bounce on many of his approaches. It looks like a heck of a weapon to utilize for approach shots between 50-150'. The disc just kinda glides nose up and gently puffs down on the ground near the basket. I've witnessed him actually hit a couple of really long shots as well. Hardly ever see any long misses with this technique. The problem is that he uses a dc'd disc called the Supper Puppy. He reccomended the Discraft Putt'r as a substitute for the Puppy. Are there any other discs (current or recent production) out there that anyone has found to be ideal for the air bounce?

I have two supper puppies. When it's supper time they're always hanging around the table begging for scraps.

Yeah, I read that the Super Puppy was re-released.

ERic

It will be easiest with anything "lidlike" (Birdie, Rattler, Polcat, ect), but once you get good at it a beat, stable putter will work well, too. I use either my beat, 170g soft Wizard or my 165g, Supersoft Wizard. You don't get as perfect of an air bounce, but your disc will be a lot more wind resistant.

To do it, just throw really nose up and sort of push the disc down and forward on a trajectory perpendicular to your disc.

Innova Aero would be another choice...I recall seeing JD Ramirez (Team Innova) throw some wicked airbounces with a 180 Champ Aero a few years back.

Oops, sorry about the spelling error. I've got 2 Supper St. Bernards in my sons...
Cool, looks like there are a number of options out there including the re-issue. I plan on working on my short game over the winter and really want to utilize this technique.
Thanks for all of the input.

From what you describe, its a air bounce that we use in the disc dog world, if you go to www.freestylenw.com and click on the videos and watch the Thunderstruck video that is me throwing a few to my dogs. If your interested in learning how to throw them, i can pass along a link if i can find it to help you out, altho in the video the person is using a fastback dog disc.

Josh

Have you thrown a condor?
Im not at all familiar with it, and I was wondering what your thoughts on it were.

I used to throw a condor and I think they are great for what they are. Obviously it's not going to give you a whole lot of distance but I found that the more beat it gets the straighter it will fly.

Another question: does weight matter? It would seem that a lighter weight would be beneficial to maintain loft but do you sacrifice control if you go too light? My normal putters are in the 173-175 range.

BTW, it looks like I'm gonna narrow it down to the Rattler and Aero, perhaps both.

Thanks

Figured it was more technique than disc. Know a guy that does it on nearly all his throws regardless of disc. Looks good on a short hole but sucks when you need some D.

Wow, super necrobump from 2008.

Is an air bounce worth learning for disc golf? They look really fun to throw but also fairly useless.

From what you describe, its a air bounce that we use in the disc dog world, if you go to www.freestylenw.com and click on the videos and watch the Thunderstruck video that is me throwing a few to my dogs. If your interested in learning how to throw them, i can pass along a link if i can find it to help you out, altho in the video the person is using a fastback dog disc.

Josh

I used to throw the Fastback Frisbee that way for an "air bounce" when I was a kid. I used to like to see it kick way up and glide over the other person's head as they were trying to catch it. Yeah, throw downward with the nose up. Not hard at all, although it doesn't work as reliably in dead air conditions.

Any Frisbee style disc will easily accomplish this(Aero, Sonic, Condor, etc). Or better yet, Frisbees or Ultimate discs.