• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Got a question for all the river throwers.

So, I've been avoiding the river like syphillis for a year.

So today I went down to my local play it again to pick up some new latitude plastic, They ended up having only 4 pieces, So I cleaned them out.

This river is stupid sexy opaque pink, with a green stamp. Opto 168.

Problem is, I can't throw it. I just throw it into the sky every time.

I throw my speed 11, 12, and 13's pretty decent. Can hit lines pretty consistent with between 350 and 400 or more for distance. but this river... this river just wants to go to the sky.

What am I doing wrong? Would overpowering a speed 7 cause this? I honestly feel like I'm releasing it flat.

help me figure out this river. I'm not ready to give up on it :wall:

It is all you for sure. You need to learn the throw it proper. Not every single disc is meant to be thrown the same way. Do you throw a destroyer the same way you toss a putter? I doubt it because if you slam a destroyer down it can handle the power, if you do that to a putter it will roll over most likely. Be touchy with it at first, go to a field and just throw it about 25-50%. Put some anny on it, put some hyzer on it. IF you know what your doing it will hold any line you want it to, excluding heavy headwinds.

Perhaps it's the '+' rim.?
I'm still trying to dial in my 169 opto but when I hit it I find myself thinking "that should have landed by now", it's cool.

I'm pretty sure this isn't a trolling post, but it sure feels like one...

Certainly no disrespect Chukker, but the guys that are saying it's you are right. What has me a little baffled is how you say you throw the higher speed stuff decently, but can't get the River to get going on a straight line, something that it excels at?? This sounds like you're either OAT'ing the heck out of it to get it to replicate the similar flight path's that you get out of the higher speed stuff, or you've got some form flaws on your drives that are causing the disc to come out at a higher than desired angle (or both). In any case, I've found the River to expose form flaws with me personally, as it's definitely a bit sensitive to nose angles and being overpowered. As soon as I dial it back and focus on a clean snap and release, boom. It's money.

The River is an awesome disc and is certainly worthy of the hype it gets here on the forums. Keep throwing it, focus on your form, and before long you'll be bragging about how awesome it is yourself. And hopefully we all didn't just get trolled. :p

I love the glide that the river has, and it's ability to hold some incredible annys. That being said I finally decided that this is not the straight line disc that I was looking for. I found the only way for me to get it to go straight was to throw it at 70-80% power, which is fine when I remember to do that, however, all too often I get all exited when I step up to the tee pad and crank on it and turn it into a burn or a sky hyzer. I now only use my River for annys and tailwinds shots. I've gone to a Gazelle for more of a straight thrower b/c it handles the power better. It doesn't go as far as the River does, but I don't end up in the trees either. It is definately a finesse disc, but I'm not much of a finesse thrower.

I think the river is more sensitive than most fairway drivers to nose angle, so I'm sure you're just throwing it waaay nose up.

I used to try and do a slight hyzer flip on my Rivers, but I could not get them out past 300' before they would hyzer out. I tried thowing them flat and they would perform an ever so slight S-turn before coming back out around 350'. Rivers definitely do not do will when thown high as they are like slightly less T-birds.

Also brand new off the shelf rivers have some flashing that greatly effects the flight pattern. Take some fine grit sand paper and take off the sharp edge.it will help.

I'm pretty sure this isn't a trolling post, but it sure feels like one...

Certainly no disrespect Chukker, but the guys that are saying it's you are right. What has me a little baffled is how you say you throw the higher speed stuff decently, but can't get the River to get going on a straight line, something that it excels at?? This sounds like you're either OAT'ing the heck out of it to get it to replicate the similar flight path's that you get out of the higher speed stuff, or you've got some form flaws on your drives that are causing the disc to come out at a higher than desired angle (or both). In any case, I've found the River to expose form flaws with me personally, as it's definitely a bit sensitive to nose angles and being overpowered. As soon as I dial it back and focus on a clean snap and release, boom. It's money.

The River is an awesome disc and is certainly worthy of the hype it gets here on the forums. Keep throwing it, focus on your form, and before long you'll be bragging about how awesome it is yourself. And hopefully we all didn't just get trolled. :p

I am no troll sir. Just have never met a disc that I just couldn't throw. Honestly this river frustrates me.

I often strong-arm my River, but with a nice smooth slight hyzer release... man, it's a sexy thing. I find that the River is a great long-range turnover disc, much like my beat Beast used to be; I don't find that it fades as much as it might. It hasn't been in my bag lately, because I've been working with my Champ Leopard a lot, but come tourney time, she's back in there, no question.

Could be your grip.
Grip like u normally do. Stretch out your arm and look at the disc.
If it's flat or slight nose down your ok. If it points to the sky. That's where it will go.
Try doing it with all your discs, see if your grip is always the same.

At least thats the tip L64's disc designer gave me.
But that might be my problem and not yours.
Hope it works out for you.

Could be your grip.
Grip like u normally do. Stretch out your arm and look at the disc.
If it's flat or slight nose down your ok. If it points to the sky. That's where it will go.
Try doing it with all your discs, see if your grip is always the same.

At least thats the tip L64's disc designer gave me.
But that might be my problem and not yours.
Hope it works out for you.

I did this last night, this is my problem. It points very skyward.

I've been doing the same thing the last couple days with my River. It really just takes some concentration to finish the throw with a downward nose angle. Just need to get it dialed back in, because it is a great disc when it is going correctly...

There are always a few people the River causes problems for, I don't quite get it. I gues the easiest thing would to be move your thumb more out toward the edge of the discs and ease up on the throw. Then work back from there towrd how you normally throw and see how much you can put on it.

Normally I might say this disc just doesn't work for you, but the River is such a worthwhile disc to have in your arsenal that you gotta find the right groove with this baby.

Thanks everyone for all the advice, been working with it today, and when I get the nose down release this thing flies like a beaut.

The inner rim (where you grip your fingers) is pitched differently.
Instead of a 90 degree like most discs, it's more like a 110 degree (approx).
Meaning when you place the river on a table, on its back, the "bowl" has cliffs that are not straight up and down, but instead angled out.

It can mess with release (it does for me.)

There are always a few people the River causes problems for, I don't quite get it. I gues the easiest thing would to be move your thumb more out toward the edge of the discs and ease up on the throw. Then work back from there towrd how you normally throw and see how much you can put on it.

Normally I might say this disc just doesn't work for you, but the River is such a worthwhile disc to have in your arsenal that you gotta find the right groove with this baby.

It's a great disc but it's true that not everyone can wield it well. If you've got a power style you likely don't have the form to use it to it's potential. Let's face it; many rec to intermediate players will strong arm their drives for life and do well enough for their level. Those players just wouldn't dig the river. Same goes for anyone who has comfort or snap issues with the plus rim. I got my river specifically because I am trying to work on form over strong arming, but if I was happy with 280 - 300ft drives I wouldn't have bothered. I'm NOT saying "if you can't throw the river you suck" here so please take this in context and stay happy folks!

It's a great disc but it's true that not everyone can wield it well. If you've got a power style you likely don't have the form to use it to it's potential. Let's face it; many rec to intermediate players will strong arm their drives for life and do well enough for their level. Those players just wouldn't dig the river. Same goes for anyone who has comfort or snap issues with the plus rim. I got my river specifically because I am trying to work on form over strong arming, but if I was happy with 280 - 300ft drives I wouldn't have bothered. I'm NOT saying "if you can't throw the river you suck" here so please take this in context and stay happy folks!

After a day of field work, and some time on the course with it, I've been throwing this disc pretty well. Not for huge distance, but super controllable under 300 ft shots. I use this disc in mid range situations now. Has found a permanent slot in my bag.

Latest posts