• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[DGA] Looking for a neutral "tweener" mid/fairway. Squall?

The Mickstar

Berg Gang
I'm looking for a disc that's between my Opto River and Neutron Hex distance-wise with similar stability.

From comparing discs on the dgputtheads flight chart, the DGA Squall looks like a good candidate. However, I've read some reviews that it's pretty understable, which is not how I would describe my River or Hex. This could be do to power/arm speed differences, though. For me, both the Opto River & Neutron Hex can handle full power throws and not turn. They stay straight with a reasonable fade late.

Any recommendations, or Squall throwers care to chime in?

Squall could work, View, Leopard, and if you can find one the Zombee could work as well for a more mid feeling option.

Lower glide 6-7 speed with slightly more LSS/fade vs. the River could work as well, maybe a Innova Leopard3/DD Maverick/Axiom Crave.

How big is the gap in distance between the Hex and River? Are they both the same weight?

Is there that much room between a Hex and a River?

I haven't thrown a River in ages, but throw my Hex all the time and it's sneaky long. Possibly a Crave?

I'm also interested in how big of a gap we're talking. If you're not throwing hard enough to get turn out of these discs, especially the River, I can't imagine the gap being that big. Especially with the Hex being as long as it is.

Nevertheless, my suggestion would be a leopard/leopard3 as well. The Crave is just as long as the River IMO, but a bit more stable which might make it shorter for you. The Relay could be an option as well and that's a disc I recommend wholehartedly, it works for beginners all the way up to world champions, just for different purposes.

It's so long since I threw a River last time, can't really remember how far it is.

A squall sounds like what you're looking for. They're pretty stable about -1 1. I can get them out almost as far as my fairway drivers they just need a little more air. Ive found that squalls go so far that I need to jump to speed 9 for the disc in the same stability above them. I have them slotted in-between aftershocks and sols.

The River is sneaky long. Just about any other speed 7 disc is going to be shorter and most of them should go farther than the Hex. You probably have a lot of options.

I can't argue, the Hex is longer than most 5 speed discs. The real issue is that the River, with it's 7 Glide, is super long compared to most 7 speed discs. That's what's creating the gap.

This wouldn't necessarily be a huge issue, except that there are two holes on my local course that fall right in that distance gap. I usually try to power down the River with mixed results. The other option is to try to throw the Hex harder, but that leads to lost accuracy and inconsistency in how far it goes straight before the fade kicks in.

I'm sure this issue could be overcome with more practice. (I've only been playing since April.) Buying & trying new discs is part of the fun, though!

I'm looking for a disc that's between my Opto River and Neutron Hex distance-wise with similar stability.

From comparing discs on the dgputtheads flight chart, the DGA Squall looks like a good candidate. However, I've read some reviews that it's pretty understable, which is not how I would describe my River or Hex. This could be do to power/arm speed differences, though. For me, both the Opto River & Neutron Hex can handle full power throws and not turn. They stay straight with a reasonable fade late.

Any recommendations, or Squall throwers care to chime in?

I have multiple Rivers and now a Hex, and I can't see how or why you could think you'd want a disc in between them. They are virtually the same end product once thrown. Both are stupid straight, and both go about the same distance. Unless you throw 500+, I don't see how you could need something between them. And if you throw that far, then you're not throwing either disc to begin with. So I don't see the need for such a disc.

You are either trying to find something that doesn't exist, or you have a weird Hex or River. My 3 Rivers and my new Hex, all go the same distance and end up dead straight. The only difference is the feel obviously. One is a FW shaped disc, the other a board flat thin Mid range shaped disc. Other than that, they are the same. I've already taken my River out of my bag, in place of the Hex, as it's just that much better than the River. I'm absolutely LOVING the Hex. It's a freaky good disc.

Star Cheetah, maybe? It usually lands very straight, but has a shape for sure.

I have multiple Rivers and now a Hex, and I can't see how or why you could think you'd want a disc in between them. They are virtually the same end product once thrown. Both are stupid straight, and both go about the same distance. Unless you throw 500+, I don't see how you could need something between them. And if you throw that far, then you're not throwing either disc to begin with. So I don't see the need for such a disc.

You are either trying to find something that doesn't exist, or you have a weird Hex or River. My 3 Rivers and my new Hex, all go the same distance and end up dead straight. The only difference is the feel obviously. One is a FW shaped disc, the other a board flat thin Mid range shaped disc. Other than that, they are the same. I've already taken my River out of my bag, in place of the Hex, as it's just that much better than the River. I'm absolutely LOVING the Hex. It's a freaky good disc.

I'm definitely not throwing 500+. LOL

I typically get a little over 300' out of the River and a little under 250' out of the Hex. Not a huge distance gap, but enough to be a factor on a couple of holes I play frequently.

I guess it's possible I got a weird disc, since I only have one of each. My Hex is fresher than my River. Maybe it'll close the gap a little once it beats in more. My numbers aren't too far off the dgputtheads flight chart, though.

You saying a 5/5 disc is interchangeable with a 7/7 disc is crazy, though. I'm much more suspicious of that than I am of me having a weird disc.

I would say you just don't have the arm speed to get a full flight out of the River. But, if that were the case, you likely wouldn't be throwing either of them so they "end up dead straight".

Maybe try out a lighter weight HEX or similar midrange like a Warship or Buzzz. You didn't list the weight but maybe the Hex is a bit heavier and a bit too stable to get good distance.

You could even go a little understable too at that distance and get a virtually straight flight. Something like a Tursas or Stingray. Again maybe lighter wight then the Hex.

Every River I have thrown goes right and only right. At least a Hex when new has some fight back. The two are definitely not similar. I do agree though that there's such a small gap between them distance wise. I've never been in a situation where I wanted anything lower than a fast midrange like the Hex or Reactor, and a 7 speed like a Teebird or FD.

Not sure what else you have in your bag Mickstar, but you don't have to find a speed 6 disc to split the gap between a speed 5 and speed 7 disc. I think a more conventional way of filling that gap is with either a mid that is less stable than your Hex, or a fairway that is more stable than your River. Try something like a Teebird if you're wanting a "longer than Hex, but shorter than River" disc. Or a Tursas as @smoothplayer mentioned in post #15.

I'm sure this issue could be overcome with more practice. (I've only been playing since April.) Buying & trying new discs is part of the fun, though!

I hear you. I've been playing three years and now have over 200 discs. I wish somebody had slapped me around and said just learn a few discs first. I have 150 I now don't feel I need :)

If you really need a disc between a River and a Hex, then the Relay is a great suggestion. My Relay was a bit overstable for about a year but now it's got a nice turn and fade.

I hear you. I've been playing three years and now have over 200 discs. I wish somebody had slapped me around and said just learn a few discs first. I have 150 I now don't feel I need :)

If you really need a disc between a River and a Hex, then the Relay is a great suggestion. My Relay was a bit overstable for about a year but now it's got a nice turn and fade.

Ha I was thinking the same thing.. But I'm a mvp fan. The relay powers down well I use it as a stable mid or fairway/distance driver. My 155 relay especially.

The stalker would also fit that tweener bill really well. I never got on with the river though so I was staying out of it.

Maybe try out a lighter weight HEX or similar midrange like a Warship or Buzzz. You didn't list the weight but maybe the Hex is a bit heavier and a bit too stable to get good distance.

You could even go a little understable too at that distance and get a virtually straight flight. Something like a Tursas or Stingray. Again maybe lighter wight then the Hex.

I think the issue is related to my Hex being fresher than my River. If it had just a little more turn or a gentler fade, it would likely be fine (and the current distance gap would be less).

Here is my current bag and a very general overview of how I use the discs...

Latitude Jade Opto
Westside Underworld VIP
Latitude River Opto
Westside Tursas VIP
Axiom Hex Neutron
Latitude Pure Opto
Kastaplast Berg K1 Soft
Latitude Faith

All of my discs are 175/176g with the exception of my Jade, which is 170g. (It started out at 157g. I liked the flight path, but I felt like I had trouble "feeling" the angle it was on, so I increased it.) I figure I have enough inconsistency in my throw that I don't need disc weight being another variable while I'm learning to throw correctly.

The Jade, Underworld & Tursas were great when I started, but are beginning to be a little too easy to turn over. I find myself using the River & Hex more often for shots where I used to reach for the Underworld & Tursas. I'll probably need to add some more OS options pretty soon.