• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Guy tries really hard to throw far

Alyjos

Bogey Member
Hello,

So, I invested in a radar gun and found out I am throwing around 60-65mph. Not terrible but I'm really hoping to be able to break 70mph.

Distance-wise, throws would go around 450'-500'. Conditions were pretty calm today and I was throwing on flat ground. If I could get into the mid/late 500s I would be pretty content with that.

What else can I say? I love to throw discs and want to be better at it.

I would video behind the tee. Easier to see these issues. Think you are rounding, the last 3 frames of your swing are a big swoop.

Way too staggered closed, you can't clear your front hip out and get jammed up behind it. Note how much more closed your lower body is while upper body/head is more open. Eagle plants much less staggered and the front hip is easily cleared out to the right pulling the upper body still lagged slightly behind.

I think your hinge is more in your shoulder or calf, instead of the thigh as Aimee demonstrates.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um5cS9u_Y0w&t=4m32s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuvujcEMLxs#t=1m25s
attachment.php

Attachments

• alyjos eagle shift.jpg
    alyjos eagle shift.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 35
You are way beyond me and anything I could probably hope to achieve at this point.

That said, you are in fairly limited competition with regard to speed. You've got agility that most can never attain You want to optimize everything that is not athleticism as well as minimize anything that could result in injury. That is a critical consideration. You are throwing pro distance/speed. Avoiding going backwards is as significant as moving forward.

IF I were in your position I think I would spend some time in the field trying to dial in 400' throws. Really working for accuracy and consistency within the "easy" range.