• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Guys draggin carts along...

I've seen guys with carts a bunch of times while playing in Tampa Bay, and Orlando, but I can't recall another place I've played where I've seen one. Flat courses in well groomed parks are conducive to pulling a cart, I guess - a cart that helps carry beer too, in a lot of cases I'm thinking. Here in VA, and many other places,the landscape of most courses makes a cart impractical.

Using a cart would never be my style, though my opinion may change as I age. But as long as you and your other cart-pulling buddies let me play through when I'm playing faster and don't leave your beer cans behind on the course, if a cart works for you, great.

I saw a converted sport baby stroller used for the first time this year. On a local course here (Centenary Park) holes 3 and 4 roll along side each other and often discs end up intermixed from the opposing tees. I saw the carriage and insisted our group wait while this fellow played 3 out, then 4 back so there was no chance we'd hit his baby. I did feel a little sheepish as they watched us waiting, then passed us back again finishing 4 only for me to realize it was full of discs.

Forward a few weeks, we're out again, we come the third tee. The group ahead is already on their way back up 4 pushing a sport baby stroller. We tee off, with a 'fore'. There were no close calls or anything, but as we pass I notice this stroller has a baby in it. Damn, I feel a little sheepish again.

Not saying I like or dislike - it's up to the users I guess, each to their own. There is that confusion using strollers though.

K.

Buddy of mine has a GGGT cart, they are actually really sweet and make those long disc days much nicer on your back. I ended up putting my bag on his cart and we took turns pulling it, the difference after 3 full days of disc and 4 courses that day was huge.

I play Adv Masters so I see quite a few guys with carts. I get it on many courses that are basically open and level or with the gently slopes. Played the Charlie Vettiner Open last weekend and Saturday rounds were at the Fun Farm. Guy in my group had a cart and it seemed like a workout. Take a look of pics from that place(ones posted on here don't do it justice) and imagine getting through parts of it with a cart!

Here's why and how I came to be a cart golfer...

First of all, I carried a bag for my first 9 years of golf and I didn't really have a problem with it. I learned to play in MI on thickly wooded and hilly courses, so I didn't really think a cart was practical. I moved to FL a few years ago and I was surprised by how common they were. During two day tournaments in the FL heat I started getting a little jealous of them, but this was still not enough to motivate me to buy or build one. This past year my wife and I had our first child. My mother in law is a compulsive bargain shopper, so she ended up buying us two jogging strollers. Instantly I had a disc golf cart. I used it once or twice and it seemed a little weird, so I didn't use it for a few weeks. Then I was going to play an Ice Bowl (insert joke about FL Ice Bowl) on a day where rain was pretty much eminent, so I decided to bring my cart because it has a hood and the underneath storage space stays dry as well. The cart totally kept all my stuff dry and it was a huge advantage.

After that I started using it all of the time. Here are some advantages I've noticed from my jogging stroller:
--As stated above, great for wet conditions
--Saves back and arms during two+ day events
--Keeps my shirts clean (quad shocks +dust+sweat=ruined dryfit shirts)
--I'm MUCH cooler without my bag on my back in hot weater
--More fluids...I'm talking hydration, I don't drink alcohol when I play
--I can carry whatever backups/practice discs/tester discs I want
--Storage for food, extra clothes, umbrella, disc retriever, etc, etc
--Help others (carry clothes/food/drink, pick up trash, hold found discs, etc)

This summer I went on vacation with just my bag, and it was no big deal. I did wish I had my cart though...

uhh, Gator? end-o-story

xuv%20850d%20gator%20c.jpg

uhh, Gator? end-o-story

xuv%20850d%20gator%20c.jpg

HELLS YEAH. If we start to get more like ball golf this is the route I want to go. No sissy golf carts... golf carts don't have to tred water. This would be awesome on a really large midwest course. The only reason I would find this acceptable (I know you're joking but I'd be okay with it).

p.s. I can understand using a cart if you're in an area where it makes sense (Florida for example, flatlands, links style course) but in the pitch and putt/underbrush/wooded/hiking style/borderline climbing course I would understand having a bag as opposed to a cart.

Last edited:
I hate carts. I don't care if you're using them, but not me. I am genetically adverse to pulling and pushing things, I'd rather schlep.

Chain- I can't remember off hand the main ingredient, but I use vitamin world's brand "joint soother". It's focus is on rebuilding cartilidge. They have a buy one get one half off sale and it's a years supply- a months supply, twice a year.

To the poster describing the use of the word hate. Yes, I feel the word works well here. People making negative judgements on an issue that has no effect on them. That is hatin to the t.

Like I said earlier, I do plenty of three disc rounds- my home course would be horrible with cart. I usually carry 14, with the cart I carried 20- not anymore excessive then many.
Now with fall around, I like the idea of no hassles carrying a sweatshirt. It's not even that my discs are heavy- it's the drinks. Two large water bottles and three beers is heavy. I can also pick up trash all round- where as before it ended once my extra storage was full.

I recently had to take my first break from dg due to injury. The cart left me feeling great. On Monday we played dubs. Teams were created for fair play. It was me and a first year girl, one guy playing Cali (no Cali available inside circle- for fairness) that we go back and forth by a stroke or two, my brother( decent beginner) with the biggest arm in the group, and my bud that I usually edge by a stroke or two with his cuz(decent beginner). The odds were stacked against ash and I- we were the only team to shoot under and had five strokes over the next team:)

HELLS YEAH. If we start to get more like ball golf this is the route I want to go. No sissy golf carts... golf carts don't have to tred water. This would be awesome on a really large midwest course. The only reason I would find this acceptable (I know you're joking but I'd be okay with it).

p.s. I can understand using a cart if you're in an area where it makes sense (Florida for example, flatlands, links style course) but in the pitch and putt/underbrush/wooded/hiking style/borderline climbing course I would understand having a bag as opposed to a cart.

i wasn't joking. i'd use it. we use the clubs "golf cart" whenever we can. it's got a little truck bed on the back :cool:

For those interested- I did a sweet mod by taking off the fabric. Were the seat was, I now have a large plastic bin. My bag sits over the front wheel.

Way back in the day we used the huge coolers with wheels and a pull handle. And yes, we would sit on top of them and ride them down the hill on old hole 17 at Winthrop. The next time I decide to play USDGC I might just do it again.