• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Had my first encounter with a Pro, is this normal?

Hampstead;3099916 If Mr Innova can sign a Discraft said:
You're ignoring a crucial detail. Mr Innova isn't sponsored by anyone. He makes his money by designing and manufacturing discs. He's not comparable to a sponsored pro by a long shot.

You're ignoring a crucial detail.

Dave D. signed a Discraft disc, that would be like Michael Jordan signing a Charles Barkley trading card.

I can see Will, Cale, Uli, or Jerm doing this. And I'm sure they were nice about it, but a contract is a contract.

I recently got a one on one lesson from Will and he's one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. At the end of the lesson I asked him to sign a disc. I didn't have a Prodigy disc so I asked if he would mind signing my Elasto Hatchet. He didn't even blink and was very happy to sign it. I'm not a Prodigy fan but will always wish him well in every tournament for being such a nice guy (signing the disc was just a small part it).

Just for the record, I asked for an autograph from Feldy a couple years ago and no only did he readily give it on an Innova diisc post Innova, but he legitimately wanted to shoot the **** afterward. Monica....

Ain't go nothing but love for all my media buds :)

Let's get matching tattoos.

LOL!
giphy.gif

I recently got a one on one lesson from Will and he's one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. At the end of the lesson I asked him to sign a disc. I didn't have a Prodigy disc so I asked if he would mind signing my Elasto Hatchet. He didn't even blink and was very happy to sign it. I'm not a Prodigy fan but will always wish him well in every tournament for being such a nice guy (signing the disc was just a small part it).

For the record I'm a huge Will fan, and didn't mean to imply that he'd be rude. It was more of a contract assumption, but that seems to have been ruled out.

The speculation on which sponsor it was is crazy, OP why dont you just say who it was? Im sure this happened on public property during a public event.

Ray Charles played a gig in the hotel where I work while his Pepsi ads were airing on TV. His assistant was adamant that no one could come near him with a Coca-Cola.

You would have to be pretty damm close to Ray Charles for him to know it was a Coke.

Not funny. Hehehehehehehe

You're ignoring a crucial detail.

Dave D. signed a Discraft disc, that would be like Michael Jordan signing a Charles Barkley trading card.

Except DD isn't a sponsored player he's a father of the sport and owner of his own company. He absolutely has the leeway to do a lot of things because its not like he's under contract with anyone else. It's only a conflict of interest for him to act in a certain way if he feels like it, most pros do not share that luxury by any stretch of the imagination.

It's also pretty weird anyone would expect or demand a random disc golfer should have the same privileges as an owner of a disc golf company, and that it's a mark against their character that they don't behave like those individuals. We really should automatically expect this sort of thing so we shouldn't get miffed if we put ourselves in that situation.

You don't have to ask a pro to sign a disc. I've got signatures on my PDGA mini, my favorite pro shop mini's, my PDGA rulebook and so on and so forth. If you really value their time and their signature this shouldn't be a problem.

Except DD isn't a sponsored player he's a father of the sport and owner of his own company. He absolutely has the leeway to do a lot of things because its not like he's under contract with anyone else. It's only a conflict of interest for him to act in a certain way if he feels like it, most pros do not share that luxury by any stretch of the imagination.

I see your logic, and if this were a bigger sport that had those kind of contracts it would be one thing, but I doubt there's any contracts like that in disc golf for sponsored athletes.