• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Handicap or Tournament?

Discdude1414

I am a new player and I want to start getting into playing with good people somewhat competitively, would it be best for me to enter into some handicaps or actual tournaments?

I don't know about handicaps / pdga, but seems like when players are ready to take it to the next level they play local * "minis" and after a while you learn what skill level you're at and then you can play actual PDGA events at the proper division. From then on, it's about getting your PDGA ratings higher and possibly progressing to the more advanced levels.

I would join the PDGA as an AM and then decide later if you want to go pro. I've had friends who signed up pro first and had a hard time going back to AM.

* Minis are organized non pdga events at your local local courses. Most of them have divisions for pro, ams, rec, etc. Typical costs are 5.00-10.00 to play. Sometimes you get paid in money other times you get paid in merch money to spend at a local vendor. Since these are not pdga events it doesn't affect your rating or am/pro status. Doesn't matter what division you play in the 1st time, you'll know what division you should play in next time. ;) I do suggest playing in your appropriate division, but also play in the more advanced or pro divisions once in a while. You will learn alot and it's always better to play with players better than yourself once in a while.

I believe in another thread you said you're 15 and been playing for a year right? Just go play a one day C tier event at the Rec level; that isn't too expensive, and by it being one day you don't need to fret over a second day. If you absolutely own the division, collect your winnings and move up to intermediate. If you compete for the win, then I'd say it's your choice whether to move up or not, although I would. If you don't play so well, then think back through the tournament that evening or the next day and figure out what you need to work on.

Also, you don't need to join the PDGA to play in a tourney; it's just $10 extra to play if you aren't a member. Since a membership is $50, it's worth it to just pay the extra $10 your first tournament to see if you like playing competitively.

However, playing in local minis or in singles or doubles leagues is a great way to get a feel for where you stack up with other players. It's also a much more relaxed environment rules wise, which is good if you're just learning the formal rules. Just be careful to not start making bad habits (like picking up and throwing a disc without marking it, etc) since the rules are more relaxed.

Find a casual league around you and start that way. Tournaments can be a little overwhelming for new people. I joined a random draw doubles league when I first started and learned a lot!

... playing in local minis or in singles or doubles leagues is a great way to get a feel for where you stack up with other players. It's also a much more relaxed environment rules wise, which is good if you're just learning the formal rules. Just be careful to not start making bad habits (like picking up and throwing a disc without marking it, etc) since the rules are more relaxed.

Another advantage to leagues is that you will meet people who play in tournaments. Not only will they be able to answer your questions about tourney play, they'll be able to help you learn the rules & etiquette, which often has a local flavor.

Agree with most things said, join a league. I learned so much that way, and learned it faster than playing with friends who weren't as serious about getting better. It's a good lead-in into tourney play IMO. Also as mentioned you can enter tourneys now at the rec level and play with less pressure...typically can win money back in merchandise too.

Latest posts