• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Has Adidas Terrex Peaked?

dehaas

* Ace Member *
Can't help but noticing how many pros with visibility (Jerm, Uli, Brodie, Cat, and probably a few others) have been wearing Nike trail shoes lately.

Nike up until the last couple years was a joke in the trail running community, but recently been putting out legit shoes and incorporating a lot of technology from their road running shoes.

Common feedback for Adidas and Salomon both are they're narrow, but that's simply the difference between Euro and American sizing. Recent Salomon models have gotten wider, wear them both for dg and ultra running…both more comfy and durable than anything else in my opinion.

Nike has definitely been gaining street cred within the ultra and trail community, snatching pros from other teams recently. Not necessarily saying Nike is going for the dg market, but you don't see the Adidas coupon codes flying around like you used to.

You're also seeing a lot more pros wearing Altra's…zero drop trail shoes. Them, Hoka, and Salomon currently duke it out about evenly in the trail space, but zero drop definitely isn't for everybody…especially if you don't know a lot about shoes.

The company Sexton is prototyping is a zero drop shoe, designed solely as a dg shoe. Dunno if they've announced their warranty policy yet, but given the price point it seems like a recipe for disaster. You're combating the wear and tear of the shoe itself, as well as an uninformed customer base as far as how the shoe is supposed to feel. If you keep an eye out you can snag a good water resistant dg trail/hiking shoe for $60-80, if it fails within a year you got your money's worth, move along. Even if you get 6 months you've got your money's worth more than likely.

I get 2-3 months out of a single pair of running shoes, so I rotate a couple pairs as opposed to one pair every single day. I get more lifetime what way as opposed to the hassle of buying new running shoes every other month. Dg shoes are no different…

I had a lot of those Salomon trail running shoes with Goretex. They rip apart after a couple months.

I now use proper leather hiking shoes, they hold for years. If the weather permits, i use some light cloth summer boots.

lowa-renegade-gtx-kengaet-naiset-graphite-jade-1.jpg

Merrell trail runners have been great for me.

Random thought, I'm not a big guy...150 soaking wet tops. Do lighter people such as myself get more life out of the more fragile shoes? I'd assume so. Mr 220lb is stressing the product more regardless of how perfect their imaginary footwork is.

Random thought, I'm not a big guy...150 soaking wet tops. Do lighter people such as myself get more life out of the more fragile shoes? I'd assume so. Mr 220lb is stressing the product more regardless of how perfect their imaginary footwork is.

You probably do get more time out of it. I'm 225 and my Merrell vapor trails usually have no tread on the right toe after 4/5months.

Terrex hasn't really made any improvements or had new models that are decent for disc golf in quite a few years. Heck, they are still producing the AX2 which was a couple years old when McBeth signed that sponsorship with them I think? The skychasers are decent but they've been around for a while (and durability is suspect at best)

The only shoes that I've 1. had last an entire season and 2. haven't regretted, have been Salomons. The XA Pro 3D is probably my favorite golfing shoe ever. Merrells have the worst gore-tex of all the shoes I've tried but are fairly comfortable and durable - so probably good for a dry climate. The Terrex shoes I've had have great gore-tex, but I shred the bottoms fairly quickly (like rotating 2 pairs in a season, and they didn't last the whole year)

Common feedback for Adidas and Salomon both are they're narrow, but that's simply the difference between Euro and American sizing. Recent Salomon models have gotten wider, wear them both for dg and ultra running…both more comfy and durable than anything else in my opinion.…

Been wearing Terrex for years now. I have skinny narrow feet so they fit like a glove. Can't do Keens or Merrel for DG unfortunately because of that, but I do have a pair of Keens sandals for summer casual wear that have now lasted 10 YEARS and look like they're gonna go many more.

I'm a fan of zero drop shoes that you mentioned for training/hiking/working out but NOT for disc golf. They don't have adequate shock protection for doing anything on cement surfaces, and I wonder about these guys running into problems down the road with these.

In addition to that I want shoes that will at least last a season. Those zero drop shoes burn out fast if you're using them for disc golf. But to me that's irrelevant, I wouldn't use them for golf anyways because structurally I don't believe they're good long term for athletic movements on cement surfaces. If all of the sudden tomorrow all tee pads became turf or natural I'd definitely change my mind, but for cement you're asking for trouble playing in those.

As you probably know the running community is split on using them on cement surfaces due to this and I tend to side that you need some padding if you're on cement. But as fair as trail and grass work, they're the best, getting your feet in a more natural barefoot type scenario really strengthens them. I have a pair of Vibram 5 fingers and a pair of Merrel minimalist shoes that I like to go on hikes and walks with.

I wouldn't just assume that because some DG pros are doing something that means they are ahead of the curve and know something the experts or the latest science doesn't. Just because Eagle has zero drop shoes for disc golf doesn't mean you should either, I have seen him tout a few things that the latest research proves is counterproductive, like vegan diets and ice baths.

I'm same weight class and I rip the holy living hell outta my shoes. Wouldn't like to see what happens at heavier weights! :eek:

Personally I was not please how quickly the Terrex shoes got torn up by concrete tees. I was lucky if they lasted me a year.

Has Adidas Terrex Peaked?

I just bought a pair yesterday! :doh:

I play everyday, 700-1000 holes a month so I'm looking forward to see how they look at the end of the summer. (terrex swift r2)

From what I read, narrowness was the biggest complaint which won't be a problem for me.

I have wide feet and cannot wear the Terrex. Nike has traditionally been too narrow also, but maybe I should look into some of their new offerings. For those of you with more knowledge than myself, can you recommend a brand that offers some wide sizes? I can't seem to find anything good in this category of shoe (Trail Shoes) in a wide size. I am wearing a pair of Columbia shoes these days just because they are wider.

Personally I was not please how quickly the Terrex shoes got torn up by concrete tees. I was lucky if they lasted me a year.

From asking around it seems that the general consensus among the golfers I run with is that Keens tend to hold up the best. They're too big for my puny feet for DG but if they fit well for you I'd definitely give them a shot. Like I mentioned above my Keen sandals have lasted a decade now.

I have wide feet and cannot wear the Terrex. Nike has traditionally been too narrow also, but maybe I should look into some of their new offerings. For those of you with more knowledge than myself, can you recommend a brand that offers some wide sizes? I can't seem to find anything good in this category of shoe (Trail Shoes) in a wide size. I am wearing a pair of Columbia shoes these days just because they are wider.

I have a pair of the, McBeth endorsed, line of Adidas Terrex mids. Terrific shoes. I wore them as work shoes, in the dress casual world. Comfortable, great tread and waterproof. Sadly, for me, the toe box that is so narrow, it prevents me from using them as golf boots. Even if available in wider sizes the pointed toe crushes my piggies.

Keen boots have a wider toe box than most boots. They would be comparable to your Colombia, if not wider.

Forehand players will always (ok, nearly always) tear up disc golf footwear quicker than backhand predominant players. That forehand toe drag is real and destructive. I am backhand only (old and broken), I get a season or more out of a pair of top end Keen's. I play 3-5 rounds a week.

I'm a Terrex guy because of the combo of fit, grip, durability, price, and consistency.

Fit - I have scrawny narrow heels. Adidas is one of the brands that fits my foot best.

Grip - I always have a couple pairs of Terrex in the closet. My fresh pair is for hiking and after about a season they become my worn pair for disc golf and general street wear. I am less particular about the grip for disc golf, but I love the Continental rubber for hiking.

Durability - I don't get as much life out of the Continental soles when compared to Merrel and Keen hikers, but I do get a full season and I put a lot of miles on them. Once they get relegated to disc golf and general use, I feel like the soles break down at roughly the same rate as the rest of the shoe. I can't say that about cheaper trail runners.

Price - I am always on the lookout for backup pairs since I go through a pair annually. Because of this I don't think I've ever paid anywhere close to retail. I will usually have some on my amazon wish list and then pull the trigger when they randomly drop in price, and once per year Costco carries them. Between those two routes I always seem to find them at a great price.

Consistency - as others have noted they have been the same shoe for a long time. I see that as a positive, because I can buy them online and know exactly what I am getting. No change in fit or function.

I'm on the other end of the spectrum as Mr. 225 lbs, and while I absolutely adore(d) Salomon Speedcross3s, they'd be smoothed on my rotation points in a couple months at best. The last pair of Terrex I bought have much harder soles (and a lot less traction on rougher terrain) but still are in good shape after several months worth of rounds. They aren't nearly as comfortable as the Salomons though either.

I'm on the other end of the spectrum as Mr. 225 lbs, and while I absolutely adore(d) Salomon Speedcross3s, they'd be smoothed on my rotation points in a couple months at best. The last pair of Terrex I bought have much harder soles (and a lot less traction on rougher terrain) but still are in good shape after several months worth of rounds. They aren't nearly as comfortable as the Salomons though either.

Have to agree with you here. As a fellow bigger man, Terrex's have held up probably the best of any disc golf shoes that I have tried. I also add more protection to my wear points on my shoes.

New Balance carries wide sizes.

I am in this camp as well. I absolutely HAVE to have a wide (EEE) shoe. I did look up the terrex mids and they do not offer this.

Does anyone have a good recommendation in a wide size (11.5 or 12)? I do not have a runup, more of a slow walking X-step, but most courses I play ARE concrete pads.

... I also add more protection to my wear points on my shoes.

What type of protection? I've been using Tuff Toe most recently. It has been the most durable of anything I've tried over the years but it's not the cheapest option. I tend to scuff and wear through the right toe due to some trailing toe drag on RHFH shots off concrete tees.

What type of protection? I've been using Tuff Toe most recently. It has been the most durable of anything I've tried over the years but it's not the cheapest option. I tend to scuff and wear through the right toe due to some trailing toe drag on RHFH shots off concrete tees.

Yup Tuff Toe. Been using it for maybe a decade now on all my dg shoes and it helps extend the life of my shoes a lot.