• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Has Dynamic Discs peaked?

Doesn't DD sponsor a lot of the fpo coverage? It'd be funny if they pulled that money, why pay to have discrafts new addition filmed.

So...Peter McBride is also no longer sponsored by DD. Not trying to force drama, but I think it's clear at this point.... sumpin IS up with DD, at least with their sponsoring plans. :popcorn:

I think their model makes sense. They don't have Innova money to dump on people, so pick up a few quality players and spread the rest of their sponsorship money around on the juniors and on a ton of small events.

I think DD is culling people that really bring nothing to the table. I certainly could be wrong, but I feel like I follow the pro tour pretty closely, and I don't see any reason why a big brand would want to have Peter on their team. He's 1008 rated. In his 2 years with DD his best finish at a tour event was 10th at 2018 WACO. This year's best finish at a tour event was 18th at BSF. This seems like a smart business decision to me.

So...Peter McBride is also no longer sponsored by DD. Not trying to force drama, but I think it's clear at this point.... sumpin IS up with DD, at least with their sponsoring plans. :popcorn:

I think their model makes sense. They don't have Innova money to dump on people, so pick up a few quality players and spread the rest of their sponsorship money around on the juniors and on a ton of small events.

I think DD is culling people that really bring nothing to the table. I certainly could be wrong, but I feel like I follow the pro tour pretty closely, and I don't see any reason why a big brand would want to have Peter on their team. He's 1008 rated. In his 2 years with DD his best finish at a tour event was 10th at 2018 WACO. This year's best finish at a tour event was 18th at BSF. This seems like a smart business decision to me.

Rusco's recent interview was pretty transparent: sponsoring the best players is requiring even more money than they are currently putting toward all sponsorship. So the "one big happy family" model isn't good for business.

I'm assuming this is a topic because some of the big names are no longer with DD.The company is going to be fine and they will continue to put out content and host awesome events like the GBO.

It's a topic because they got too big too fast, made far too many high speed drivers and a lot of folks lost interest along the way. The names of players throwing their plastic is practically irrelevant. But, yes. They'll always have the GBO.

It's a topic because PP left for Discraft. Everyone throws Discraft now. DD came out with WAY too many high speed drivers and people lost interest. Also their "In your face" media strategy. Fanboys this or that, etc. etc.

The real reason is a bunch of people on here grew up throwing Innova and Discraft. Because that's all there was. DD has way too many high speed drivers? Innova has more molds of useless HS drivers than any company. Hell, they have probably more HS drivers alone than DD has molds but whatev's right?

Who's throwing that sweet new corvette though? Or Firestorm, Daedelus, Vulcan.....;)

DD now has four retail locations, who else is doing that? It seems to me that they operate under a different business model that doesn't rely on big name pros to sell product. It's almost apples and oranges comparing DD to Innova and Discraft.

DD now has four retail locations, who else is doing that? It seems to me that they operate under a different business model that doesn't rely on big name pros to sell product. It's almost apples and oranges comparing DD to Innova and Discraft.

I'm curious how sustainable four retail locations is...I can't imagine they make much money, aside from just keeping the lights on.

I'm curious how sustainable four retail locations is...I can't imagine they make much money, aside from just keeping the lights on.

I can tell you the one in Kansas City is constantly busy. Josh and his team do a really good job, and take care of everyone that comes in there. They sell all brands, but you can buy and then throw any trilogy plastic, and if you don't like it you can bring it back for a full refund (within two weeks). That is enticing to a lot of newer players trying to figure out what they like.

The retail locations are franchised as far as I know. By placing them strategically near busy disc golf courses, hosting weekend tournaments and weekday flex starts in conjunction all over a metro area and having the AM payout option to have more choice by coming IN to the store rather than the limited discs on site, plus adding in clinics, in-store events with local and touring pros, and some DD media events (or similar) on site, they seem to be doing really well.

I haven't been in the Texas store (Carrollton - Dallas/Fort Worth area) on a weekend when it wasn't busy. Now this store has an agreement to stock all brands which brings a very good reason for Ams who cash in their events to come to the store (they have DD, Lat, & Westside in the on-site RV). But even those who want one of the three brands made in Sweden, have a much better selection in the store. And they also have buy-test-exchange-free for the DD, Lat & Westside discs.

I think dd is making good buisness decisions. Sponsoring pros/events/competitive play has little to no roi.
The money is in the recreational side of the game.

Innova has always had a stranglehold on the rec market as first to market. That DD had a trial run in some Dick's stores is a start to eating into Innova's dominance. I don't know the status of that biz relationship as I've stopped engaging their social media.

The last time I was at Acadmy sports, they were carrying some Disc Craft and Prodigy as well... but that has been a few years ago.

Even our small town Dunham's now has a couple DD bags and maybe a disc.
Normally they have about Innova 2 starter sets and a bag. Now with about 8 total discs (mostly Innova) we've moved into the big time. LOL!

Latest posts