• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] Hatchet, opinion and profile pic

Picked up a VIP yesterday to complement my growing number of TP Hatchets, and as seems standard for trilogy discs the VIP definitely seemed more HSS than the TP ones.

Still loving the mold, so easy to throw and control...

So what I'm getting from this thread is that this is a glidey, not too hard to throw disc. And the VIP is a bit more stable than the TP, which is normal.

Which plastic/weight would someone recommend to someone who maxes out at 300 with a beat DX Eagle (on a good day) to get the flight path that's on the disc?

So what I'm getting from this thread is that this is a glidey, not too hard to throw disc. And the VIP is a bit more stable than the TP, which is normal.

Which plastic/weight would someone recommend to someone who maxes out at 300 with a beat DX Eagle (on a good day) to get the flight path that's on the disc?

If that's your max a 160-class TP would be my suggestion, sub 165 if you can find one.

Well, a 169 purple was the lightest I could find on short notice. That wasn't red. I don't have many purple discs, and the reds were only 168 so....

I did notice that the VIPs had alot more in lighter weights than the TP.

Can't wait for it to get here :D

If it's beefy because it's heavy (I guess), well, it is a hatchet. Those trees won't know what hit them.

Anyone else finding that these seem to wear in really quickly?

My most-used TP Hatchet has pretty much lost all of it's flex and now just goes right and doesn't come back, even with a pretty strong tailwind. That's after being in the bag for only a couple weeks now.

This is the second one I've had do this. I just switched it out with a VIP copy, which I've found to be a bit more stable initially. I also have another lesser-used TP in the bag, and two more brand new TP copies in my backup bag.

I'm not really much of a disc cycler though, hoping the VIP will hold up a bit better...

I'm not noticing quick wear but I'm not throwing my TP one yet either. All VIP. The heavier opaque yellow I'm using for very slight cross or headwinds when I want a hyzer flip that goes dead straight or S shot. The 165g sparkle blue VIP is great for the same shots but in tailwinds. I'm liking this mold more each round. It's really taking a lot of the work the escapes had but it's just easier to point and shoot right now since I like a hyzerflip anyway. So much glide and consistency even on throws I don't get all of. I'm happy with my hatchets for sure.

I got to throw this a few times today. Well, three times. It's nice, I think.

169 purple TP.

The first two were in a field.

1: Threw nose up, went waaaaaaaaaaaay up in the air. Still went an okay distance, almost as far as a great throw with my Eagle.

2: Threw it hard, with some OAT. Went pretty far left (RHFH) but fought out at the end. Went reaaaaaaaally far. For me.

Third throw was on the course. I must have put some hyzer on it or something, or maybe wimped out on it. It didn't turn at all, and faded into the brush/trees.

Ah well.

Glides a ton though. I'm looking forward to throwing it more, there aren't many places that you need distance drivers on my home course.

I finally got to throw the hatchet yesterday and I am starting to go back to westside with these new discs. I love the sorcerer but i'm here for the Hatchet.

Threw the hatchet about 10 times yesterday. First time was on hole 3 at harbin park. I grip locked and it went pin high off to the right. Second time I threw it was on hole 10. did multiple practice shots. I threw it right underneath the basket both times. The glide is super nice. I threw it on a little hyzer flip line where it flipped up flat did minimal turn and then hyzered back. Threw that line 3-5 times and pretty much parked a 300 foot hole that plays uphill. I have never reached this hole with any of the discs that I throw now other than blizzard. Finally on hole 12 uphill 240 feet but 40 foot uphill slope. Parked it.

Overall I would say this disc is going to be a staple in the bag. I really have to get out there and throw it some more to get lines perfected with it. I try to look at the line it takes then apply that to other courses.

Some stats on me since you can't trust someones review and they throw 500+ feet.

I throw average 350 feet on flat ground.... which might be changing.
I am a rhbh and have been playing for about 2.5 years.

I threw a Hatchet downhill into a slight headwind, and it turned a little, came back and went pretty freaking far for me. Hit some trees at about 350', but could have gone much farther in an open area. So far my 171 TP Hatchet has more turn than a 157 Opto Jade. Weird. It might just be a flashing and new disc issue so I need to beat them both up more.

I threw a Hatchet downhill into a slight headwind, and it turned a little, came back and went pretty freaking far for me. Hit some trees at about 350', but could have gone much farther in an open area. So far my 171 TP Hatchet has more turn than a 157 Opto Jade. Weird. It might just be a flashing and new disc issue so I need to beat them both up more.
That seems right on the Jade Vs. Hatchet for turn.
I have a 170 VIP and don't throw it much.
I use it when I want a long narrow straight shot.
My Saints can have too much fade, and my Furys all turn and don't come back.
So i just throw the Hatchet flat, and I get some turn and a smaller fade back.
I don't think that will last long, and it will be like my Fury.

The only time l threw it in the field, I was very impressed with the glide. Gonna get back to it after I test some other discs.

I have a 172g tp hatchet, white. It's pretty flat no dome. Super understable, but, I can hyzer flip it like clock work. Have a vip which is much more stable. Great disc, lots of glide

My new 168 Tournament Hatchet is moderately understable. It's new though and it may break in quickly. Right now it's more understable than a River, but not as Understable as a Witness. Definitely more understable and flippy than a new G* Valkyrie, but then again G* Valks are fairly stable compared to other plastics.

So it sounds like the Hatchet is falling in between the Saint and the Fury for stability?

any new info now that its been out for a while?
i have one but haven't thrown it enough/in a while, to what its doing

I've been throwing my VIP since they were released but it's turned into a turnover/roller for me. It turns and almost never comes back at all. It's great for hyzer flips that I want to finish right though.

I love my Tournament Hatchet. Makes a nice counterpart to my Lucid Escape. Similar distances, just more turn out of the Hatchet. It will come out of an anhyzer right at the end and land smoothly. Probably the easiest disc I throw for controlled turnovers.

sounds like you should throw it and provide some info yourself.

just got back, but its kinda breezy today, and my form isnt very smooth lately.
i also took out my opto vision, i dont know why that disc got put in the "not throwing bin" also, its a pretty good flyer

Last edited:
The hatchet is an interesting disc. First off just like almost all of westside it does not fly like the #'s show. however i used the hatchet for hyzer flips with small fade at the end or straight to anhyzer shot that has minimal fade. it playes too much like my roadrunners. So it is out of the bag.

Also like the majority of westside it is destroyed by the wind. dont throw this disc into a head wind.

Latest posts