• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Have you seen this MoFo? Golf Mahal?

Golf Mahal insert

601632_10201120112660208_163408964_n.jpg

My wife made this insert for me. Top left is a cellphone holder and just above the discs are two scorecard pockets. It is held in place by friction (snug fit).

It is material that she had stashed for a special project. It is a stiffer material.

Patches

I have read all the threads having to do with putting patches (specifically iron on) on Dg bags here on DGCR and am getting ready to put some patches on my mahal. I was looking for any additional advice from anyone that has done it on a mahal... before I do something dumb:). I assume that mahal bags are a similar material to most others bags so I might just go for it and report back here. I am trying not to use needle and thread if I don't have to. I am going to place them on the tops of the two zippper pockets that are circular shaped (on top) that are on each side of the bag. I have a 3 inch huk lab and roc patch from marshall st.

Any advice would be appreciate from someone who has done it on a mahal. I did find this advice that I thought was pretty good.
1. put something hard under the surface that you are ironing on.
2. place a wash cloth between the iron and patch.
3. don't touch iron to bag material.
4. I've read use high heat on iron and I've read use low heat:confused:

Thanks in advance

I have a iron on clover patch on the top flap where the frame goes in. Dead center between the top shoulder straps. All I did was grab an iron and a mini. I used the mini as my ironing board and I cooked the crap outta the patch to get it to stick. It's been on for almost 2 years. Just don't hold the iron on one spot. Move it around.

My advice is to not put anything on it. It's nearly a $300 bag. It doesn't need decoration. I put patches on my cheaper bags but I'm not defiling my Mahal.

I have a iron on clover patch on the top flap where the frame goes in. Dead center between the top shoulder straps. All I did was grab an iron and a mini. I used the mini as my ironing board and I cooked the crap outta the patch to get it to stick. It's been on for almost 2 years. Just don't hold the iron on one spot. Move it around.

I appreciate the advice. I like the straps idea. I'll post pictures when I get it done.

My advice is to not put anything on it. It's nearly a $300 bag. It doesn't need decoration. I put patches on my cheaper bags but I'm not defiling my Mahal.

I completely understand your thinking and even agree with what you are saying, the mahals are classic already...I am still gonna do it! After reading more threads I have decided to take it to a seamstress and get it sewn on correctly with nylon thread to avoid screwing this up.

Thanks guys

After reading many posts on this thread about the mahal, and looking them on the Mystery Ranch website,I finally ordered one. It came in today! It's the army green "foliage" one. It's hard to put into words how awesome one is, until you actually see one in person, and then put one on!!!!!! Truly amazing!!!! The custom fit, adjustable yoke system works like a dream, shifting all the strain of normal bag straps, and distributing the weight evenly over the entire torso!! Plenty of disc room and storage, and then some!!! There is no "hype" about this bag... It's all true!!! Best disc golf bag hands down on the market today!!

I have a foliage one on the way. Should be here on the 8th. Can't wait to get my stuff in it and get my reviewer pants on.

being the established backpack company they are though, i don't see why they don't inject some life/color into these. I mean...c'mon...I think they're drab as hell...

LoPan12, If you want a flashy bag with cute colors, get a DD or Grip.

LoPan12, If you want a flashy bag with cute colors, get a DD or Grip.

Because then he wouldn't get the quality of the Mahal? I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make. It's not like he said he won't buy one because of the colors. Or that lack of colors somehow invalidates the Mahal. Just stated he'd like to see some different color options.

You're jumping to attack him instead of responding to his point. Maybe say, "I think the colors are just fine." Or, "Yeah, but the awesomeness of the bag outweighs any color issues."

It would be nice to have more color options, but lucky for me I absolutely love my Mahal in Foliage. It's got that camo/military look to it and I couldn't be happier. However, I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to see one in a deep purple...

In my opinion, making neon color bags would cheapen their image. They're not trying to be trendy. MR produces the best built bag, and sells them as such.

Last time I checked, none of their bags offer bright colors. It's a backpacking company, drab is good.

In my opinion, making neon color bags would cheapen their image. They're not trying to be trendy. MR produces the best built bag, and sells them as such.

Last time I checked, none of their bags offer bright colors. It's a backpacking company, drab is good.

I wouldn't want to see neon colors either - but a dark purple can look awfully sexy.