• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Having a hard time getting to right pec

Rll131

Bogey Member
Can't seem to understand how the disc gets to the right pec before the shoulders open. Do I literally pull the disc to my pec with my arm? Or is it all punching the elbow out in front we'll before the shoulders open. I always thought the arm was suppose to lag behind but that's pretty much impossible without rounding.

When you engage your hips, they drive the shoulders, and the disc pulls to your pec just by letting your arm follow the motion.

xV6K25X.jpg

Last edited:
Notice that the shoulder to elbow angle is at about 90 degrees in every frame in the above post. It's never sharper than 90.

Try this same motion with a baseball bat or hammer...just something straight and with a bit of weight in your right hand. It should be held straight in line with your target line in every point on the top row. The head of the hammer/bat doesn't start to swing out until the bottom frames. If you are rounding the throw and not getting to the right pec position, then the hammer will swing out/drag early. This just is easier to feel and visualize than with a disc in your hand; but it's the exact same reasoning with a disc. Just harder to feel because it doesn't have its weight inherently at the far end of a rod. With a baseball bat you'd be contacting the ball around the bottom middle image.

I've been working on this lately with the Beto drill and and what has helped me is starting with a bent elbow (second picture on top). Try standing still in the living room, turn to 180 from the target with the bent elbow, and then slowly use hips/shoulder rotate to 90 degrees from target (last picture on top). If you maintain the 90 degree angle with the upper arm and chest the disc will just fold into the right pec. If you do the same rotation just a little faster with a loose arm the same thing will happen.

When you brace the front hip "from behind you", that creates the lag to bring the elbow forward and disc to chest/center with the shoulder braced/closed. I don't really think about my elbow moving relative my shoulder during the swing, but mostly just maintaining the wide upper arm angle and just allowing the lower arm/disc to swing in and out with the elbow already forward.

Thanks for the info guys. By hip from behind would that be the crushing the can? I have so much trouble opening my shoulders to early which causes me to round and accelerate to early. Any specific drills you recommend I'm throwing 340-360 but sometimes I can get one out past that been working a lot on accuracy

Thanks for the info guys. By hip from behind would that be the crushing the can? I have so much trouble opening my shoulders to early which causes me to round and accelerate to early. Any specific drills you recommend I'm throwing 340-360 but sometimes I can get one out past that been working a lot on accuracy
Yeah Crush the Can and Closed Shoulder Drill and tossing different weights like hammers and cups, or one arm Olympic hammer toss. To toss a hammer or cup straight you will find you have to close up everything, otherwise they will all hook release to the right quite a bit.

When you engage your hips, they drive the shoulders, and the disc pulls to your pec just by letting your arm follow the motion.

xV6K25X.jpg
This looks like taking the disc off the line significantly.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

This looks like taking the disc off the line significantly.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

See Sidewinder's Post #13 here https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128285&page=2

"Golden Spiral Arc theory. You can create angles on the disc and change the direction of the disc to increase late acceleration and delay/ease the grip tension in a widening spiral arc. Instead of curling inward too far, the golden spiral reverses direction to ease or delay the tension and centripetal force toward the very end."

Picture flipped here to match top graphic.
View attachment 64138