• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Headphones in tournament play

Should players be allowed to wear earbuds while playing?

• Yes

Votes: 103 69.1%
  • No

Votes: 46 30.9%

• Total voters

prerube

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
Chuck Kennedy raised a debate on facebook.

Should headphones be allowed in disc golf events?

I read every comment and chimed in, but I will try to let people give their opinions before arguing my case.

If the noise coming out of them isn't audible to other people, and the use of them doesn't prevent the player from hearing what's going on around him (ranging from conversation with cardmates to warning shouts from others), there's no reason to disallow them.

My issue is trying to alert a player about something important (foot is OB, going to step on a snake, not your turn, etc.) and he can't hear and does it anyway. And while it's a player's right to isolate herself, the message it sends is between borderline antisocial and rude.

If the noise coming out of them isn't audible to other people, and the use of them doesn't prevent the player from hearing what's going on around him (ranging from conversation with cardmates to warning shouts from others), there's no reason to disallow them.

THIS ^^

My issue is trying to alert a player about something important (foot is OB, going to step on a snake, not your turn, etc.) and he can't hear and does it anyway. And while it's a player's right to isolate herself, the message it sends is between borderline antisocial and rude.

I agree, and the other side of it is, the player should be responsible for the other end as well (warning other players about danger, rules, etc) and they are often in their own little world and can't perform that duty either

being antisocial is not against the rules

I agree, and the other side of it is, the player should be responsible for the other end as well (warning other players about danger, rules, etc) and they are often in their own little world and can't perform that duty either

wearing headphones does not keep people's eyes from working. If someone foot faults even a player with headphones will hear it. People who are on their phones on facebook are not paying attention visually, but you can pull your phone out.

Last edited:
I've never wore headphones but often wish I had. Disc Golf brings in all types and this includes a lot of annoying and/or rude people and I don't need or want to hear their BS during the round.

It is not antisocial or rude to not wanting to hear you complain for a full round.

Chuck Kennedy raised a debate on facebook.
Should headphones be allowed in disc golf events?
Correction: Chuck Connelly, Mr. SpikeHyzer. But I do happen to be on the Competition Committee with him.

Last edited:
Its just like any other manageable distraction. If it isnt a constant issue, it should be fine.

If I am playing in turn, and not distracting others either with noise from the headphones, or because i am not aware of my surroundings, then whats the issue?

Assuming this is about tournament play, because casual play shouldnt matter. If the person wearing them isnt off in their own world, and can hear people talk to him then its fine. But hearing faults called, or other important things is something that shouldnt be interfered with. If you cant hear those things, then having the headphones in becomes an issue for everyone.

Yes please. I generally keep headphones in my bag for tournement rounds, tho I don't wear them all that often. You can run into some serious jerks in tournaments and I much prefer not being forced to hear them. Anti-social behavior can come in handy.

I don't really buy the arguement that they make rules harder to enforce on the player wearing them. Sure they might not catch a call first thing, but is it really that difficult to get their attention?

Yes please. I generally keep headphones in my bag for tournement rounds, tho I don't wear them all that often. You can run into some serious jerks in tournaments and I much prefer not being forced to hear them. Anti-social behavior can come in handy.

I don't really buy the arguement that they make rules harder to enforce on the player wearing them. Sure they might not catch a call first thing, but is it really that difficult to get their attention?

No, its not. Whether or not they hear any call made on them shouldnt matter assuming your card heard it.

I've played, and had rule discussions with, a number of deaf players. Playing with someone with headphones in is certainly no worse than that.

I've played, and had rule discussions with, a number of deaf players. Playing with someone with headphones in is certainly no worse than that.

I think you mean different ;)

I was waiting to make this same point. A Deaf player can call things with out being able to hear, so how is headphones different. You simply are chosing to be temporarily Deaf.

I think you mean different ;)

I was waiting to make this same point. A Deaf player can call things with out being able to hear, so how is headphones different. You simply are chosing to be temporarily Deaf.

I totally get what your trying to say, but come on man. Choosing to be temporarily def is not the same thing As having a permanent hearing disability.

Latest posts