• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Headwind disc to complement Star Tern

Maybe a Trespass would be a good all around disc at that power in moderate wind? I throw a bit harder and wouldn't throw one in wind though, so keep that in mind, but in calm they are fantastic.

This. If a Star Tern is being used for max distance, a Lucid Trespass will probably be stable enough for you that it won't flip in a headwind. Both of my Lucids handle the wind better than even my most stable Champ Terns. It is a great disc to try and is more predictable in what the stability will be than the average Destroyer that can be all over the spectrum. That has its value for power throwers wanting just one mold and multiple stabilities, but for just one disc, the Trespass is a safer bet that you will get what you expect.

I threw my Tern into the wind today and it turned hard and crashed 50ft deep into a stinging nestle cluster. As I didn't feel like getting rash all over my body I just left it there instead of trying to dig it out. So I'm going to have to pick up a new one tomorrow. I'm going to pick up a wind fighter as well, but I haven't decided on which mold to get yet. I kind of want to try the Trespass, but when I read up on them everybody is saying that they are squirrely in the wind. Of course, those players throw faster than me so there's that. I guess I just have to fondle some of the alternatives to see what I like. Maybe a DDX. Maybe a Wraith. Perhaps even both, we'll see

I bag a couple DDX's, as they have become my main distance driver (previously Destroyer's). My max weight swirly S-line is the "most" stable, and I only feel confident throwing it into winds no more than 5-10mph. Anything stronger than that, and I get too much turn out of the disc. I still keep a couple Star Destroyer's in my bag for wind fighting duties, when I need to throw into a headwind that's 10mph+. FWIW I consistently get my DDX's out to 425', and occasionally hit 450' when I hit the perfect line.

So in short, with 400'+ of power, the DDX doesn't like headwinds stronger than 5-10mph.

G-Star Destroyer is a good suggestion. But I just went back and read your original post, and I think at your power level the DDX should work well. A fresh G-Star Destroyer flies very similar to a fresh S-line DDX for me.

I've been using an Axiom Defy as my wind fighter as of late. It's pretty HSS without being too LSS.

G-Star Destroyer is a good suggestion. But I just went back and read your original post, and I think at your power level the DDX should work well. A fresh G-Star Destroyer flies very similar to a fresh S-line DDX for me.

Gstar Destroyers bomb, basically I find their stability pretty much the same as the Trespass initially. That being said I can't throw either in wind, but I do throw that Destroyer 400+. I don't have as much experience with the Trespass but the stability seems the same, but with a more long lasting plastic.

I went out and bought a 171g S-Line DDX today along with a new 162g Tern. The DDX came in an awesome feeling stiff blend of swirly orange and red Star plastic. It's still glossy like modern star, but it's quite a bit stiffer. With a profile almost identical to the Tern, the DDX feels very familiar in the hand.

I did about an hour of field testing, throwing it against this new Tern. There was some moderate amounts of wind with gusts up to about 10-12mph. The DDX held the line beautifully in the headwind, it was pretty much exactly what I was hoping for. In the calm I got surprisingly good distance out of it, the longest throw was perhaps 320ft which is pretty good for me on flat ground. In tail wind the DDX flew pretty overstable, it would start hyzering out early and the distance was significantly shorter than during calm and headwind conditions.

The new Tern was actually a bit more understable than my old one, even tho they are the exact same weight, same color, same color stamp and it was bought in the same store. Before throwing it I would have believed that they were from the same run, but they definitely fly different. I'd say the new Tern should have a -4 turn rating, the old one -3 and the DDX a turn rating of -1. I would say that if you got a noodle arm and you throw the S-Line Tern then the DDX would complement the Tern very well. I'm really happy that I bought this one over say the Trespass

The new Tern was actually a bit more understable than my old one, even tho they are the exact same weight, same color, same color stamp and it was bought in the same store. Before throwing it I would have believed that they were from the same run, but they definitely fly different. I'd say the new Tern should have a -4 turn rating, the old one -3 and the DDX a turn rating of -1.

It happens. I have two red-orange Star Terns, exactly the same red-orange color, and the same weight as well. One is just a bit more understable than the other. Not by much, but just a bit. I do think mine are from the same run, but one cooled just a bit faster than the other, I suspect.

I would say that if you got a noodle arm and you throw the S-Line Tern then the DDX would complement the Tern very well. I'm really happy that I bought this one over say the Trespass

Glad to hear this, and thanks for posting your findings. :thmbup: If they won't get the Mystere out into production, I might just have to get a DDx and corroborate your findings. :)

Ddx and mystere aren't headwind discs if you have over 300 of power

I went out and bought a 171g S-Line DDX today along with a new 162g Tern. The DDX came in an awesome feeling stiff blend of swirly orange and red Star plastic. It's still glossy like modern star, but it's quite a bit stiffer. With a profile almost identical to the Tern, the DDX feels very familiar in the hand.

I did about an hour of field testing, throwing it against this new Tern. There was some moderate amounts of wind with gusts up to about 10-12mph. The DDX held the line beautifully in the headwind, it was pretty much exactly what I was hoping for. In the calm I got surprisingly good distance out of it, the longest throw was perhaps 320ft which is pretty good for me on flat ground. In tail wind the DDX flew pretty overstable, it would start hyzering out early and the distance was significantly shorter than during calm and headwind conditions.

The new Tern was actually a bit more understable than my old one, even tho they are the exact same weight, same color, same color stamp and it was bought in the same store. Before throwing it I would have believed that they were from the same run, but they definitely fly different. I'd say the new Tern should have a -4 turn rating, the old one -3 and the DDX a turn rating of -1. I would say that if you got a noodle arm and you throw the S-Line Tern then the DDX would complement the Tern very well. I'm really happy that I bought this one over say the Trespass

I'm glad the DDX worked well for you! I figured at your power level it would do the trick!

After having knocked the new out of my DDX I'm going to have to readjust my assessment that this is a decent headwind disc for a noodle. It turns quite a bit in the wind actually. It doesn't turn and burn, but it holds a turnover for almost the entire flight. I'm not getting the confidence I need out of it. It's basically like a really stable Tern. Looks like I'm going to have to try some other discs.

I'm leaning towards Star Wraith. How big are the differences in the various Wraith runs, are they like the Destroyer that has a ton of different stabilities spread among the runs? If so, how do I identify stable runs? Perhaps I should consider champion plastic instead, although I'm not a huge fan of champion. I'd prefer star if Star Wraiths could hold up in a stiff headwind for a 350ft max player

After having knocked the new out of my DDX I'm going to have to readjust my assessment that this is a decent headwind disc for a noodle. It turns quite a bit in the wind actually. It doesn't turn and burn, but it holds a turnover for almost the entire flight. I'm not getting the confidence I need out of it. It's basically like a really stable Tern. Looks like I'm going to have to try some other discs.

I'm leaning towards Star Wraith. How big are the differences in the various Wraith runs, are they like the Destroyer that has a ton of different stabilities spread among the runs? If so, how do I identify stable runs? Perhaps I should consider champion plastic instead, although I'm not a huge fan of champion. I'd prefer star if Star Wraiths could hold up in a stiff headwind for a 350ft max player

Wraith consistency isn't nearly as bad as Destroyer, IME. Not with the Destrulcans that were floating around for awhile. With Wraith dome seems to be key. Some start are very flat, some champs are poppy-top.

Stable to least stable: champ>star>echostar>Gstar>pro>DX. Leaving out any specialty runs. Forget Blizzard, you don't want that...no, uh uh.

^^^...should read "some stars are very flat..."

Couldn't edit post since it doesn't work right and just creates a duplicate post half the time. :rolleyes:

Some real weird suggestions in this thread.

If the ddx is a headwind driver for you...you shouldn't be throwing the ddx.

Some real weird suggestions in this thread.

If the ddx is a headwind driver for you...you shouldn't be throwing the ddx.

It was trialed at that role, but it didn't work out. Now I'm looking for other suggestions

Probably not, I'm not a power player. Besides, 23mm rims are kind of uncomfortable for me, I'd prefer something around 21mm tbh. Now I'm throwing champion Teebirds into the wind and they handle moderate winds just fine, but I'm not getting Tern like distances with it. Perhaps I should just accept that I won't get those distances in a headwind

Latest posts