• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Heavier Weight Putter or Not?

dickyp1113

Par Member
I bought a magnet on a site when I first started that didnt have the option to pick weights. I used it since I started (not that long ago) but finally had a friend weigh it. It weighed in at 170. I always thought it was heavier than that for some reason. Fast forward to now...I want to buy a soft magnet because I wanted to try the plastic out. And now I am on the threshold of one of the biggest life altering decisions of my life...should I get it in 170 or go with something heavier? I feel like its an easy decision to get the same weight but I feel like I would do better with something a bit heavier (175ish). And if I like that one better maybe I would start using the lighter version as a longer range putter. Why am I so indecisive? Thanks for the help!!

I usually try to stay close to max weight, but lately I am seeing a lot of success with 171. Which honestly is not that much different.

I recently tried a bunch of 150 classes (magics, and APX/reef) I wanted to like them, but I did not.

I like 172/173g for my putters. heavy enough to resist wind but light enough to not hold my shot back.

I say go with a different weight. Since you are going with a different plastic, the disc is going to feel and fly different than what you have. Hit the course with both and "feel" how the shots work with the two. It shouldnt take you long to determine which one you will use in specific situations.

I use my Banger GT for the closer straight in shots and a Lat 64 putter for my farther shots. The weights arent too far off, but the soft Banger compared to the more firm Lat definitely changes the flight.

Dave-

I used to throw a 168 Aviar and now I throw any one of a number of 171 Ions. I also have Pures at 176 and 172, and a 169 Anode. I honestly don't notice the weight difference. I do tend to throw putters and mids that are heavier than my drivers, and I know a lot of other people do that too. I say spring for something heavier, and if you don't like it just trade it on the marketplace. You're already taking a risk by trying a plastic you don't know, so why not take two risks at once?

People buy max weight putters for three reasons: max weight is easy to find most of the time, they want to approach/drive with it, or they want to minimize the impact of wind on their putts. The Magnet isn't gonna fight much wind anyway, but you may want to get max weight if you want to consistently get the same putter weight down the road or you plan to approach/drive with it (I wouldn't get Soft plastic to do that though).

I bought a magnet on a site when I first started that didnt have the option to pick weights. I used it since I started (not that long ago) but finally had a friend weigh it. It weighed in at 170. I always thought it was heavier than that for some reason. Fast forward to now...I want to buy a soft magnet because I wanted to try the plastic out. And now I am on the threshold of one of the biggest life altering decisions of my life...should I get it in 170 or go with something heavier? I feel like its an easy decision to get the same weight but I feel like I would do better with something a bit heavier (175ish). And if I like that one better maybe I would start using the lighter version as a longer range putter. Why am I so indecisive? Thanks for the help!!

When I was using my Champ Rhyno it was a 175, which I believe is max weight for that disc. Before that I would often putt with a 180g Zephyr (dont you judge me) Now I'm using a 165g Ridge, and honestly, I've had success with them all. But as a general rule, if you want one disc to be of high weight, it's your putter.

I used to throw a 168 Aviar and now I throw any one of a number of 171 Ions. I also have Pures at 176 and 172, and a 169 Anode. I honestly don't notice the weight difference. I do tend to throw putters and mids that are heavier than my drivers, and I know a lot of other people do that too. I say spring for something heavier, and if you don't like it just trade it on the marketplace. You're already taking a risk by trying a plastic you don't know, so why not take two risks at once?

This is what ive been thinking more recently. I just have been concerned with messing with the progress ive been making with my putting recently by changing weights. I guess I wont know until I try. I just have issues with overthinking purchases.

I use 174 weights in both of my Discraft Zones.(Main Putters)

My Discraft Ringer is 170.(Downhill putts,downward angled putts,straddle putts)

My Discraft Banger GT's are both 170.(My Jump putters)

If you are going to get the same exact putters(Magnets) get 2 in heavier weights(174,175) and then have 1 or 2 in lighter weights(168-170) for jump putts and straddle putts.This formula seems to work pretty good.

oh yeah.I've also read that the Soft Magnets are great for jump putts due to the grip of the disc.

Thanks for the info! I think going for a heavier putter this time may be the direction i go. Now if only I could decide on what color to get...

Lately I have been using a 175 buzzz for putting because it seems to work really well for me, is that weird?

People make a huge deal about the weights of their discs (I ONLY throw 172 ions, if they are 173 I send them back, if they are 171, I send them back, etc). I stick to 5g increments. Anyone who says they can tell the difference between 1 gram is a liar. Hell, I'd say 80% of marked weights aren't correct anyway. It's all in people's heads

I use max weight. People say they fight the wind better, and believing that makes me feel warm and fuzzy while I putt. I've used lighter weights (down to low 160s), and see no difference.

People make a huge deal about the weights of their discs (I ONLY throw 172 ions, if they are 173 I send them back, if they are 171, I send them back, etc). I stick to 5g increments. Anyone who says they can tell the difference between 1 gram is a liar. Hell, I'd say 80% of marked weights aren't correct anyway. It's all in people's heads

Agreed.

With that said, if it's in someone's head enough to effect their game, no matter how ridiculous it is, that's their beef.