• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Heavier Weight Putter or Not?

Cherry red discs look awesome, as do lime green.

Lately I have been using a 175 buzzz for putting because it seems to work really well for me, is that weird?
Just a little. A Buzzz is really a slower fairway driver (and feel as such), whereas something like a Roc or Wasp (or especially a Comet) are like faster putters (and also feel as such). I think the large bead on those three discs helped them feel like a putter.

I have been using a 150 gram Pro Pig. Lovin' it! I don't seem to get as many rim shots. I am in the market for a 175 gram one for windier days. I like lighter weight putters for 20' plus and heavy weights for 20' and in.

I putt with 170-172 because the stability is the same but there's a pinch more glide. Best thing to do though is try a max weight if you can and see what you think because everyone is different. If you don't like putting with it you could always use it for putter drives.

Agreed.

With that said, if it's in someone's head enough to effect their game, no matter how ridiculous it is, that's their beef.

True. I just try and make sure new people who ask about this kind of thing don't get sucked into the "switch to max Weight and you'll throw 100 feet farther!" Bs

I usually try to stay close to max weight, but lately I am seeing a lot of success with 171. Which honestly is not that much different.

I recently tried a bunch of 150 classes (magics, and APX/reef) I wanted to like them, but I did not.

I've been using 169-171 for my putters recently and I'm loving the way they are flying.

just buy 2
go up in weight on one
down in weight for the other
see which you like best for different situations

Just a little. A Buzzz is really a slower fairway driver (and feel as such), whereas something like a Roc or Wasp (or especially a Comet) are like faster putters (and also feel as such). I think the large bead on those three discs helped them feel like a putter.

:|

I throw mostly max weight, with exception of 1 turnover Fairway and 2 Blizzards. I've tried lighter putters, but they never stick like a good old 173+ Ion.

I throw a 175 vibram sole and a 171 vibram VP. I dont know how much my Ion is, but it seems pretty heavy too. They all hold up pretty well in the wind.

I like lighter discs - usually under 170, with several 150 class and a couple of Blizz in my bag...but I prefer beefier putters.

The first APX I started to hit consistently with happened to be a 173 (it's not like I consciously selected that weight). I tried a Swirl at 168, convinced that 2-3% one way the other was insignificant - wrong! It genuinely felt different in my hand - if nothing else, it flows from there. Since then, every APX I've purchased has been 173.

My Challenger's (used for upshots) is 175

Two facts to keep in mind:
1) The closer you get to the pin, the more accurate you need to be.
2) The greater the mass, the less effect the wind will have on it.
Draw your own conclusions.

Last edited:
I've recently been giving the 167-170 range a shot after always throwing max weight [putters], and they feel perfectly fine to me.

I'm not a guy that destroys the chains when he putts, for some reason I just don't generate the power for that laser putt I would like, and I've missed low/short more times than I'd like to admit, hence the weight drop. Those 5(ish) grams don't tell my hand and arm that I'm throwing something lighter, but the extra little distance/glide does show it visually.

**I rarely need to putt in a field when the wind is howling

Latest posts