• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help a noob with some discs

Spackler

Bogey Member
First post here.

I started playing last summer and I'm pretty hooked. I've tried out a fair number of discs and purchased more than I probably should have but like I said I'm hooked.
Anyway I think it would be good to settle on a few discs and get used to them rather than moving discs in and out of my bag. Here's a list of all the discs I own, please give me your opinion on 10-12 discs to keepin my bag for awhile. I'm averaging about +7-8 per round and my max distance is around 340 with the Monarch-but not consistently.

Aviar P&A 175
Magnet 170
Soft Challenger
Wolf 150
Shark 150
Cobra
Buzz
Stratus 168
Gazelle
Leopard 168
Archangel 167
XL 171
Wraith
Monarch 168
Crush
Surge
QJLS
Groove 170

Last edited:
For us to recomend the correct discs, we have to figure your form;
Are you right handed throwing backhand? How does the less stable stuff, like the stratus/Shark/leopard/xl fly for you? How bout the Crush/surge/wraith?
You showed you the game? Who do you play with?

Magnet/Cobra/xl would be my pick. Then add the stratus/surge/Monarch.
This is me reaching with assumptions and even suggesting innova

I think you had some decent choices for a beginner. All my first discs were 172-175 and way to heavy for me.

Aviar P&A 175
Magnet 170
Soft Challenger

^do you throw the putters or just putt with them?

Wolf 150
Shark 150
Cobra
Buzz
Stratus 168

^imo the wolf and shark are likely redundant, same for the cobra and the stratus.

Gazelle
Leopard 168
Archangel 167
XL 171
Wraith
Monarch 168
Crush
Surge
QJLS
Groove 170

^the gazelle, jls, and xl are likely redundant. ditto the wraith and the surge. if you throw the monarch farther than the groove, lose the groove.

I'm RHBH and beginning to feel comfortable keeping most discs straight aside for some fade at the end. Stratus is sometimes going moreright than I want but I'm kida encouraged by this sine I struggled early wieverythin turning left. I haven't been throwing the Surge, Crush, QJLS or Groove, these were either found or part of a Discraft misprint purchase.

Playing with a friend that started at the same time, he lives right by a course and suggested that we give it a try.

I played ultimate for 12 years and I thin it both helped and hurt my golf game. At first I wanted to snap everything with a lot of wrist and elbow action which led to a pain in my elbow that eventually kept me sidelined for a couple of weeks. Now I'm throwing with my arm a lot straighter and the pain is gone. I think the ultimate experiencehas helped me with shot selection and creatively dealing with obstacles- I'm always behind a tree.

^do you throw the putters or just putt with them?

^imo the wolf and shark are likely redundant, same for the cobra and the stratus.

^the gazelle, jls, and xl are likely redundant. ditto the wraith and the surge. if you throw the monarch farther than the groove, lose the groove.

I throw the Aviar and Challenger about 100 and closer, haven't used the magnet yet.

I really like the Shark for short appraoches and short floating shots but it seems limited because its so light. The Wolf just seems to glide forever and I have trouble with judging its distance.

Groove is a disc my friend found, I haven't tried it yet but I figured I would since the Monarch has (sometimes) worked well for me. XL has also been flying pretty straight as long as I start it out level.

Your gonna have no problem;)
I'd suggest going with three discs and shape the lines. Magnet/buzzz/xl will serve you well all the way from beginner to pro level.
Throwing straight is level one. You will find the hyzer approach is actually the most usefull. You just have to have correct form( well you don't have to, but if you want to build a platform that can continue to grow) and be able to throw straight.
Even though you have more then enough discs, I'd suggest a comet. It's the tried and tested truth of all discs. If it wobbles, your forms off (basically). It's also a large diameter so you may find it closer to a lid. Don't be fooled though- this disc flies far!!!You can use the marketplace here to trade

Thanks for all the input guys.

Craftsman, Are you suggesting that I only carry 3-4 discs? Not sure I can make myself do that. Guess that would be the best way to learn to throw those discs though.

Pick one or use one for understable approaches
Aviar P&A 175
Magnet 170

workhorses
Buzz
Leopard 168
Gazelle

Some overlap with these, experiment with the last 3 as possible Leopard replacement
Cobra
Stratus 168
Archangel 167
XL 171
QJLS
Monarch 168

Grow into this one, use only for wide open distance
Surge

I 2nd the Comet suggestion, a great stable to understable mid that will make your form better and will gel nicely with your Ultimate background.

Welcome to the site.:hfive:

Yes but I'd understand if you didn't- as it's a hard journey for most of us. Just figured I'd give you the suggestion as it's some of the best advice I've recieved. The idea is that less choices = less mistakes. For example, if you see a xl shot and throw an xl instead of having to choose between leopard, gazelle, and xl. Check out the discin down adventures thread. I have the problem with my mids. Most top players carry only a few types of discs(molds) but with different weights or plastics. So a bag full of twenty discs is really only five or six molds. The timeline of many discers looks like this; 3(discs),6,12,22,15,12,9,6 and maybe 3 again. Going through the line is part of the fun but less discs = less strokes for most

The timeline of many discers looks like this; 3(discs),6,12,22,15,12,9,6 and maybe 3 again. Going through the line is part of the fun but less discs = less strokes for most[/QUOTE]

So true!!

I have gone to only a fair way driver, Mids, and P&A. Sure is easier to play the game when you discs are heading in the right direction. Nice advice in this thread. You guys sure help us New DGers out. Thanks!

I was never one to give advice until my brother started playing. Not only does it make me follow it a bit more, but it also makes me think of better ways to explain.

That disc timeline makes a lot of sense as well as carrying different weight of the same mold. Maybe I'll try carrying the same 4 -5 discs for a few rounds and change a disc out if I'm not happy with it. Maybe i should have bought a smaller bag!

Thanks for all the great advice everyone.

That disc timeline makes a lot of sense as well as carrying different weight of the same mold. Maybe I'll try carrying the same 4 -5 discs for a few rounds and change a disc out if I'm not happy with it. Maybe i should have bought a smaller bag!

Thanks for all the great advice everyone.

Another thing you can do is leave the bag behind once in a while and play with just 2-3 discs. Normally I carry around my full competition bag, but I've really learned the discs in my bag by playing with a single driver for a full round and seeing all the lines I could (or couldn't) shape with a disc. It also helped me figure out where I had overlaps that were making it harder for me to be confident about my disc choice on the tee.

get rid of the groove and the 150g mid ranges, IMO. The rest should give you a nice arsenal.

For most noobs that want to have cheap disc's. All they need to do is find a course with dark water and hop in. Of course my local course has loads of disc. My buddies when we all started playing did that and found about 75 in all.

Latest posts