• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help for a 50 year old noob

Update: I played a partial round yesterday with my son. We live in Richmond va, and we went to the Bryan Park course. First impressions: I'm not throwing with any distance yet, so the holes all seemed really long. I just kept my driver in the bag and used my mid and putter, concentrating on throwing straight and low. We played 14 holes. We kept score by hole, but not overall. I think I had two pars. It was a nice sunny afternoon spent with my son. I'm looking forward to the next time already, but I think I am going to spend a little more time on technique between now and then.

All the throwing advice has been great.
Now, onto shoes. Wear whatever makes you comfortable for now. But in contrast to an earliercpost, disc golf shoes ARE unique. Most are a cross-training type shoe with a more aggressive hiking style sole. A lot of the higher-priced have waterproofing technology. None of this us necessary for you right now. If you get into playing more, maybe. Tournament players usually find all this necessary as they don't cancel events on accountvof rain or snow. And alot of times, warming up before a tourney round in the morning, the grass is quite wet. Waterproof shoescare greatvin that situation.

Now, onto shoes...

I played with a guy yesterday who was having an off, driving day. To my surprise, he changed out his dg shoes for a pair of sandals. His drives instantly improved and when I asked him about it, he said the sandals forced hit to slow down and focus on the upper body which is where his problems usually lie.

Pretty crazy but it works for him.

I am enjoying the wonderful advice in these forums. Just picking it up as well at 45 years young as a way to get my boys out doors more and accidentally am getting hooked on the game. What I have learned most is that my attempts to throw that destroyer instead of my buzz more is just wrong. After reading through some of these, us noobs need to learn to walk before we run, or we will be walking much more, which is good exercise... I am starting over with midrange discs and using my putter more. Enjoy the game and the out door's.

Update: I played a partial round yesterday with my son. We live in Richmond va, and we went to the Bryan Park course. First impressions: I'm not throwing with any distance yet, so the holes all seemed really long. I just kept my driver in the bag and used my mid and putter, concentrating on throwing straight and low. We played 14 holes. We kept score by hole, but not overall. I think I had two pars. It was a nice sunny afternoon spent with my son. I'm looking forward to the next time already, but I think I am going to spend a little more time on technique between now and then.

I am enjoying the wonderful advice in these forums. Just picking it up as well at 45 years young as a way to get my boys out doors more and accidentally am getting hooked on the game. What I have learned most is that my attempts to throw that destroyer instead of my buzz more is just wrong. After reading through some of these, us noobs need to learn to walk before we run, or we will be walking much more, which is good exercise... I am starting over with midrange discs and using my putter more. Enjoy the game and the out door's.

DX Leopards and Stingrays that are not max weight (160-170) work great as "drivers" when your starting out. They are both more aerodynamic compared to blunt mids like buzzes. Just as easy to throw and go a bit farther. Used ones are even better and dx is cheap...

Welcome to DG and to the forum Mike. I started playing dg last year at 53 yrs old. I play with my sons, so that gives us some enjoyable family time. The DX Leopard is my driver of choice currently. A lot of good info on this site.

Hmm, if 50 gets title of Grand Master, what will 60 get me besides one more Advil ?? ;)

I usually become a student and far too obsessed with anything I do, and although I only picked up a couple sets of discs from a drummer friend earlier tonight, I have been reading and watching YouTube for the last 3-4 days since I found out about this crazy sport ... my younger wife (only 55)and I need to do something for exercise this summer, and this is that something we can do together ...

As mentioned, borrowed 6 discs from a good friend that has only been playing a year or so, but he had extras and graciously let us use them since he planted the seed for our new activity ... already from reading, I can see we wont be using the distance drivers at our age and never having played, as both of them are 175 gram Champion Wraith's ... however, the mid-ranges are each 150 gram Sharks and the putters are 150 gram Aviar's ... I am sure we will be spending all our time with them from what I have been reading ..

I won't probably be posting much, but lurking and learning ... you kind youngters have already helped an ol'coot, and didn't even know it ... thank you!

Thanks to Mike (OP) for sharing space on his thread too .. hopefully I just made him feel like a youngster, he will have 10+ years in the game when he gets to my age ...

Assuming you throw backhand, concentrate your practice on pulling the disc across your chest in a smooth and straight line. Strength is not a factor and throwing hard won't generate more distance if you're not smooth.

Check out Grip it to Rip it.

My favorite shoes are light trail hiking shoes, very multipurpose and comfortable for a walk in the field and woods.

Welcome Mike3216, Dmangles, tomkat and all the other new kids! Disc Golf is a lifetime sport that you can enjoy for years to come. I am a Grandmaster lady and I throw lightweight drivers but use 175 gram mid ranges and putters.

Guy or gal, the Innova Leopard is a fantastic driver to learn and keep in the bag forever in some variation. I always carry a 150 Champion Leopard. Other discs may go farther, but Leopards are dependable and easy to throw. I would recommend the DX Leopard in 150 to 165 grams for newer players.

If you (or your gal) plan to carry only two or three discs, try the Innova Wedge. This is half putter & half mid-range and very straight. The Wedge is perfect for putts and approaches and it is also great for learning to throw the turn over shot. As your skills increase, you will be able to execute many different types of shots with just one disc.

Other similar choices for newer players are the Innova Dart, Skeeter, Foxbat and Kite. All these discs can pull double duty as putter and mid range while you are learning this great sport. For a newer (over 50 player), I would recommend any of these discs at 165 to 170 grams. (Choose heavier weights if you have to battle winds.)

Last edited:
Great to see new players starting later in life. I wish that I could have a father willing to engage in an activity that both of us could share and can only imagine how your sons must feel knowing that their father is involved in their lives outside of daily life. Keep working on your mid and putters. Sooner than you know you will be throwing drivers 300+