• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help, I have an awful natural hyzer!

clydeanator15

I'm very new to disc golf (only played 4-5 times now), so I need some advice. Almost every time I throw my driver, it cuts hard to my left. I'm keeping it close to my body, and staying pretty well level. I'm using a disccraft xpress driver. It has a 0 rating, so it should fly pretty straight. Tips?

Welcome to the game, and DGCR! This is more Sidewinder's territory, but I just want to wish you luck. Start off nice and easy. Don't overthink your drive. Keep your throw flatter and follow through on an even plane.

And most importantly, have fun! You will improve, I gaurantee it.

Thanks BigSky!
And honestly Bassman, I'm not sure. Between the huge hyzer, and the fact that every disc.I throw seems to be a tree magnet, I can't really tell you.

First off, hyzer and diving left are two different things. Hyzer refers to the angle of release of the disc. Releasing the disc flat and it diving left could be that the disc is too fast or too overstable for you right now, and/or that you are releasing nose-up.

First off, hyzer and diving left are two different things. Hyzer refers to the angle of release of the disc. Releasing the disc flat and it diving left could be that the disc is too fast or too overstable for you right now, and/or that you are releasing nose-up.

Ahhh, thank you for clearing that up. It's supposed to be a perfectly stable disc. I haven't really had an experienced teacher, as my brother got me in to it, and he's only just started as well. So it's been lots of YouTube. I'm going out this morning to work on my drives!

Buy a buzzz and start just throwing with that to get your form down or putters drivers will come.. or a leopard very good beginners discs. It will take time before you can throw something fast.

I always repeat good advice given to myself. ;) It's probably too early for you to seriously think about drivers. Get a putter and learn how to throw it flat and straight, at all power levels. Once you can do that then start focusing on your drives. This might take you a few days or a few months, but it is well worth the time. Another tip which I'm finding out makes alot of sense, save your "thinking how to throw" when you're not on the course. On the course, just let it happen, don't over think it. Sure think about where you want to throw, but don't obsess on technique on the course, you want your muscle memory to kick in. And that only happens by practicing, over and over. ;)

Every disc, regardless of rating will tend to fade left for a RHBH throw at low speeds. The reason for this is in the physics of spinning objects.

Since you're just starting out, you haven't developed your throw to really get the disc up to speed. There are a number of different issues causing this (throwing arm only, nose up, hyzer release, etc). The best thing you can do is browse the technique section, particularly the stickied threads. There's a lot of good info out there to help you learn how to develop your throw.

Me and my buddy spend a lot of time teaching our less experienced friends. One thing that seems pretty common is that EVERYONE throws high and ends up with almost a boomarange type of deal or it cuts to hard from throwing high and they always pretty much release the discs at an angle whether hiezer or anhiezer (whatever they're spelled lol).

For all beginners it seems that teaching to throw the disk parallel or low to the ground as well as keep in the disk level as well always helps just as the first things to learn. Along with that I show them grips as well.

What kind of grip are you using?
Do you throw high and let the disk leave non level?

if you are throwing a right hand back hand the probable reason is that you aren't following through. Try to punch your target with your left shoulder. That Express may suddenly become a roller.

Me and my buddy spend a lot of time teaching our less experienced friends. One thing that seems pretty common is that EVERYONE throws high and ends up with almost a boomarange type of deal or it cuts to hard from throwing high and they always pretty much release the discs at an angle whether hiezer or anhiezer (whatever they're spelled lol).

For all beginners it seems that teaching to throw the disk parallel or low to the ground as well as keep in the disk level as well always helps just as the first things to learn. Along with that I show them grips as well.

What kind of grip are you using?
Do you throw high and let the disk leave non level?

Yeah, I've been working at bringing my release down. When I first played, I was releasing almost up at my head, but I've brought it down and a lot more parallel now.

As far as grip, I believe I am using what is called a power grip, where all of my fingers are in the rim, and thumb on top?

The grip's fine, though don't fret too much if the pinky finger rides the rim instead of gripping, as its of minimal benefit to newish discers.
A buddy of mine who's a naturally great putter still has trouble hyzering his drives. What he's doing is "dipping" on his last step---crouching a bit and rearing back. He's trying to cure it, but an old auto accident makes him stutter-step a bit, so he's having a more difficult time of it than most.
Have someone observe several of your drives and make sure you're actually parallel to the ground from reachback to release.

Sounds like you are slightly dropping the outer wing of the disc when you release it. Also, it helps to practice snapping a towel. That snapping motion is somewhat similar to a clean release. At least that's what Feldberg says.

All of these tips were incredibly helpful! Just got back from playing while reading these (thank you smartphone) and my drives went from around 200 ft at the beginning, to nearly 300 ft. Is that an alright distance for my 6th round of disc golf?

At least 500ft minimum for message board distance. :wall:

I recently improved my message board distance to 600'. ;) Watch dave feldberg videos and you can do this, too.

once you get decent form the old golf adage, "smooth is far" rings true. A loose muscle moves quickly than a tense one, allowing for more effortless distance.

Latest posts