• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Dynamic] Help me decide: Escape or Vandal

jhilton

Bogey Member
Hey everyone,

I'm really struggling to decide between the Escape and the Vandal. I have about 300-325 worth of distance, maybe more if I really catch one.

I've thrown Escapes for a few years now, slotted in the neutral fairway driver spot in my bag. For me it flies out dead straight, stays straight until the end where it then fades left moderately (RHBH)

I just recently bought a pair of Vandals thinking they would make a good understable compliment to the Escape (perhaps to replace my Furys). At my power though, they really weren't that understable. Maybe they turned slightly more, but they also seemed to fade harder at the end too. I did like how they fly though. Reminded me of a Teebird versus an Eagle.

I'm trying to decide now though if that is just too much overlap. Anyone have experience with this same decision between these two discs?

Thanks,

Jason

Last edited:
I used to rely heavily on the Escape until it started turning over. There is way too much overlap for me between the Escape and the Vandal. Stick with the Escape and hit it with an ever so slightly more anhyzer angle than how you normally throw. As your arm develops, you might outgrow the Escape. At that point you'll have waaay outgrown the Vandal.

To me, the perfect slightly less stable compliment to the Escape is the Lat 64 Saint. Slightly slower and a glide monster with a tad more turn.

Escape is a great disc that suffers from being "a little too much" of a lot of things. For my arm speed it's a little too fast to be workable, a little too understable to be reliable, and a little too stable to be a turnover machine. It is an awesome "easy distance" disc that is perfect for a lot of players, but ultimately it fell out of my bag.

The answer of whether it is right for you comes down to how you want to use it. If you like working angles, then I think you're better off going with something less stable (Vandal perhaps, although I've personally never thrown them) or slower. I personally think a slower disc like a Stag or FD is a better disc for that mid-stability fairway since they are more responsive to varying release angles.

There is way too much overlap for me between the Escape and the Vandal. As your arm develops, you might outgrow the Escape. At that point you'll have waaay outgrown the Vandal.
I completely disagree with both. So, just take these two points, and reverse it, and that's my post.

I get the original comment, but the "reverse ditto" is a bit confusing. Please help me understand.

1) Explain how there is not too much overlap between the Escape and the Vandal
2) Explain how one might not outgrow a Vandal before they outgrow an Escape

Thank you

I get the original comment, but the "reverse ditto" is a bit confusing. Please help me understand.

Thank you

I personally don't think you "outgrow" most discs. As your power and technique improve, you can adjust how you throw flippier discs and see how they fit your game. Obviously some discs will fit better than others. Roadrunners are considered pretty flippy but they are great for my noodlish BH when I want something to flip to straight or a long turnover.

I personally don't think you "outgrow" most discs. As your power and technique improve, you can adjust how you throw flippier discs and see how they fit your game. Obviously some discs will fit better than others. Roadrunners are considered pretty flippy but they are great for my noodlish BH when I want something to flip to straight or a long turnover.

I generally agree with your statement. You don't outgrow a disc, the disc just changes what role/slot in your bag it fills as your arm and game progress. BUT...some discs (for me at least) didn't take to their new role as well as others. Escape is one disc that I can see some people "outgrowing" for lack of a better term.

To me the Escape shines as an easy distance driver with a touch of turn and moderate (non-headwind) fade. At the point your game improves and the Escape is filling the mid-stability fairway driver slot in your bag, there are just a lot of better choices out there IMO. That's a slot that should be incredibly versatile...powered up, powered down, big tailwind flexes, hyzerflips into a slight breeze, etc. The Escape just doesn't respond as well to manipulating release angle and power when compared to a slightly slower disc of similar stability like a Stag or FD.

Thank you

1. There is no overlap at all. The Vandal has a good bit more turn than the Escape, and the two pair very well together.

2. That's not how I read any of the above. In any event, I do not think outgrowing a disc is even a concept. This is especially true if one prefers sharp turnovers to forehand. I still bag an unbelievably US Underworld because there's no other way for me to duplicate that shot shape otherwise. But yes, the vandal will become more US and get there quicker than an Escape.

I generally agree with your statement. You don't outgrow a disc, the disc just changes what role/slot in your bag it fills as your arm and game progress. BUT...some discs (for me at least) didn't take to their new role as well as others. Escape is one disc that I can see some people "outgrowing" for lack of a better term.

To me the Escape shines as an easy distance driver with a touch of turn and moderate (non-headwind) fade. At the point your game improves and the Escape is filling the mid-stability fairway driver slot in your bag, there are just a lot of better choices out there IMO. That's a slot that should be incredibly versatile...powered up, powered down, big tailwind flexes, hyzerflips into a slight breeze, etc. The Escape just doesn't respond as well to manipulating release angle and power when compared to a slightly slower disc of similar stability like a Stag or FD.

Opposite for me. I've found the Escape very workable. I can land an FD in a given spot on an open hole, but I can't see to flip it or turn it. I can throw it flat and it goes straight and fades moderately or I can throw it on hyzer and it goes straight and fades moderately.