• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Help me pick a driving putter

Which one Should I go with

• Nova

Votes: 20 26.7%
  • Envy

Votes: 55 73.3%

• Total voters
You could try a RDG Fossil Serpent. No bead, drives well, good stability, GREAT plastic.

If that's the case then Anode is a better choice from MVP than the Envy for sure. Anode has straight HSS but it will hold anhyzers easily, it has little fade, and significantly more glide than the Envy. Not that the Envy doesn't have glide, but the Anode flies more like a beat to straight Wizard IMO, without the bead, and it never chunks up compared to base plastic.

By utility, you mean all around use?

Polecat. Srsly.

I'd say
Proxy, opto pure or soft proton anode otherwise.

I was going to say Proxy over Envy in that case, but this is a pretty solid list.

Between what's on your list, I'll change my answer to Nova. It's very neutral so it'll cover all your release angles pretty easily. It does feel very deep though so it might be beneficial for you to fondle one in person to see if it's comfy.

Much like you, I love putting Wizards but don't like them for driving. I went Proxy for my driver, but I'm packing a noodle so I appreciate the added speed.

OK..

What I mean by utility is an all around up shot putter, if I throw it straight it goes straight, or if I huck it on an anhiezer or Hyzer it will go on that intended line.

I can get my Wizard to do this but I need more distance and I don't like the bead.

Had a chance yesterday to throw the Nova and I liked it but everyone boasts about the Envy so I was looking for some input.

Just not interested in blowing dough on discs I won;t use anymore.

Thanx for all your input.

You keep describing everything a wizard does, and then saying you don't like wizards. I am confused.

Well if you want to really be economical about this you have to dial in on what exactly you want and know what you want.

Having played the game for some time, I thought I knew. But things change you get more educated about your form and what works for you.

When I started trying new manufactures a few years ago, having been on a hiatus on buying new stuff. Basically because I was so tired of innova I started trying new companies, new molds, etc.

Back in the day if it was like you either drove with a magnet or an aviar. And boy was I sick and tired of driving with an aviar.

I discovered a few things and had forgot a few things. This all varies from player to player. And yes you will change things up a bit as the years go by.

Unless your super dialed in on your form, know exactly how your hand behaves with different molds-depth of mold, bead no bead, degree of grip, hand strength arm speed etc. be prepared to try a few molds, spending money and time figuring out what is right.

Last edited:
Nova and a Pure.

When thrown correctly the Nova is downright amazing. Reminds me of a Comet. Anybody that trashes them either has small hands or needs work on their form.

Ha! Or get a decent disc. Nova for the fail. Leave the overmolds to Michigan kin. Cali can't get it right. See; Atlas. Just because McBeast can throw them doesn't mean you can. (nor does it mean there aren't 20 better options for that slot if you're not sponsored by Innova)

OP, I'd recommend trying a Prodigy PA1, Reptilian Scale, or Gateway Warlock. The PA1 has a very small bead, Scale is super overstable (making for a GREAT driving putter when released well) and the Warlock is just a beadless Wizard with a little more glide.

Personally, I prefer the PA1 because it's not too overstable where you need great finesse (like a Scale - if not thrown with significant angle, it'll burn into the ground like a meteor) The Warlock is far too understable for driving. (in my opinion)

However, this all depends on your form - my lack of form - your power - my lack of form - your release - my lack of form - your angle - my lack of form. You get the idea. ;)

Cheer, mate. Hope you find your dream short-distance driver!

ENVY is a fantastic driving putter. goes dead straight with a gentle fade. i personally can work anny lines with mine when i need them to flex out. when i don't want that flex i use my proxy. same hss zero lss. the envy has to be top 5 for driving putters but it can handle other duties just fine. envy/proxy combo is a deadly putter or mid combo cause they cruise

any who yeah everyone is chiming in with their choices so i tried to keep it to your poll. not implying the other suggestions are bad ones what so ever.

Envy. I can outdrive my Eraser Wizard with my Envy and Upshots are a dream. I carry between 4-7 putter ever round(except disc down rounds) and the only constant is the Envy. I love my jOKERI for driving as well, but it has less uses. Drop the weight of the Envy down into the 160's for that smooth control. Laser straight until a gentle fade at the end.

Nova?! lol... come on now' I mean it works but lets be real here.

nova isn't even close to being on this level. Anodes kill anything nova's dreamed of doing.

OK..

What I mean by utility is an all around up shot putter, if I throw it straight it goes straight, or if I huck it on an anhiezer or Hyzer it will go on that intended line.

I can get my Wizard to do this but I need more distance and I don't like the bead.

Had a chance yesterday to throw the Nova and I liked it but everyone boasts about the Envy so I was looking for some input.

Just not interested in blowing dough on discs I won;t use anymore.

Thanx for all your input.

The Nova is what you described, a true neutral approach disc. And if you like it, go for it.

However, if you want to try an Envy, it would pair very well with a Nova. A stable to OS fast putter and a floaty, neutral putter... Could cover a lot of shots.

Discraft FLX Challenger. Stable enough to put a lot of tork on it. But still workable enough to hold an anny line. Nice rim on it as well to get a good clean release.

Envy will do this after a few months of regular use. Brand new, an Envy will fight out of an anny (at distances around 250'). If you want this behavior tomorrow, go with the Proxy.

I've thrown both and a soft proton anode feels way better in my hands even though it's deep like a nova with that curved inner shoulder.I like the nova better for putts. Plus all of the mvp putters frickin' crush. I'm no fanboy; I throw a mixed bag, but mvp putters fly hella far. I don't know why.

I've thrown both and a soft proton anode feels way better in my hands even though it's deep like a nova with that curved inner shoulder.I like the nova better for putts. Plus all of the mvp putters frickin' crush. I'm no fanboy; I throw a mixed bag, but mvp putters fly hella far. I don't know why.

u get 1 guess. clue: g - - -