• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help Me Putt! (Video)

Zphix

Birdie Member
The camera is to the left (as you're viewing it) so it looks like my putts are being pulled to the left/right but they're not.

I am still a nose down putter and I don't like it - of all the guys I disc golf with and play with in league my putt is ALWAYS on the pole but it's ALWAYS low/nose down. I like my form because the motion keeps it on a straight line BUT I NEED (NEEEEDDDDDDDDDDD) to fix the nose down issue because I'm tired of missing putts inside 15 feet because I hit them low.

I've watched every %@#)(#%)@$* putting video that there is on YouTube and nothing has helped me so I've decided to start recording myself putting and getting feedback. Point out what is wrong and where I make mistakes, please!

First, your motion's not that bad, it's the timing.
You bend your leg, but then your leg is already straightened out by the time you start the forward/upward putting.

Use your legs to push while your arm is moving, with the upward motion of your legs roughly in sync with your arm. This will increase your leverage and make longer putts take less arm effort.

Then, while working on this motion, start putting from 10ft or whatever distance you can comfortably putt ~5-10 in a row in the basket.
Next back up 1-2ft and do it again, while still keeping your motion in sync.

At first, be more conscious of the motion and form than the makes/misses.

Hard work, but it will pay off.

There are no quick fixes for good putting in DG.

Last note: This is my recommendation, but look at everything and do what works for you.

Last edited:
That's a lot of weight shift for 15', so maybe the hitting low problem isn't because you putt nose down, but because you decelerate at the end because you become too cautious when the putting counts.

For short putt I tend to putt nose down too and I pick a small target high enough that I have to release and follow trough high too, so there's less chance of short-arming my putt.

Everyone putts differently, but try to get a little bit of wrist action in there, if nothing else just to feel how to feel the weight of the disc spring off the fingers. Right now your wrist is completely open the entire motion which makes it very hard to get any spin on the disc and its probably hard to get that "pop" out of the hand. Even push putters need some spin but you don't need to actively open the wrist to get it. Watch how someone like Philo lets his wrist lag back right before he releases the putt. It's subtle, but extremely important for making those 50' standstill putts look easy.

Last edited:
The camera is to the left (as you're viewing it) so it looks like my putts are being pulled to the left/right but they're not.

I am still a nose down putter and I don't like it - of all the guys I disc golf with and play with in league my putt is ALWAYS on the pole but it's ALWAYS low/nose down. I like my form because the motion keeps it on a straight line BUT I NEED (NEEEEDDDDDDDDDDD) to fix the nose down issue because I'm tired of missing putts inside 15 feet because I hit them low.

I've watched every %@#)(#%)@$* putting video that there is on YouTube and nothing has helped me so I've decided to start recording myself putting and getting feedback. Point out what is wrong and where I make mistakes, please!

Tip one putt how you would on the course, unless you carry the exact amount of discs for each putt you lose a disc then start over again like you would when putting on the course. The other thing I see is the fingers hold onto the disc during release to cause the wobble on the putt, not getting a smooth enough pop on the disc to get a clean putt.

Digging up an old thread :p

So, I still struggled with putting nose and missing super low until today; I don't hold the disc nose down when I bring the disc down, but it always comes out nose down. I went through the Feldberg videos and pretty much anything on putting I could find BUT my thought was that I wasn't getting a weight shift and honestly, that's exactly what I found out today.

EVERY putting video says to push off hard and fast with your left leg but it doesn't work for me - maybe because I'm a bigger dude but I'm pretty sure that my arm was moving faster than my leg which forced the nose down angle.

Instead, kinda just messing around and trying to feel a weight shift I ended up finding the solution: slow/gradual weight shift. Instead of pushing off hard with my left leg I push slowly and gradually until my weight comes into my right leg THEN I can push more with the left leg.

I've found that to fix small changes like this, rapid fire in large quantities is the key.
Yes it's still important to practice like you play (sometimes) and line up every putt... but rapid fire helped me dial in control of the angles.
My feet, stance, and stroke don't change and it's easier to focus on the tiny adjustments at the release point.