• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help! Who can help me with the Aerobie Epic?

Decent would be around 250 feet. I bought the Nuke on a whim and I found the Epic. There isn't really a place locally that can tell me about discs.

Put the Nuke down for a bit you will be much happier... I'm not being an ass here I'm a noob too. My first 2 discs were a Lat 64 Halo and a Discraft Reaper....Bad idea

A Nuke is probably too fast for you at this point. You should be able to get a Nuke a lot farther than that once you get your technique down. I'm not one of them, but a lot of players will throw a putter over 250' with relative ease. I tend to throw fairways and mids at that distance. I don't even bother with high speed discs anymore. I have a Nuke and Ape sitting on the shelf just in case I ever do decide to disc up. Definitely recommend picking up that there Firebird you're thinking about though. A Teebird would be an even better investment at this point in your development. You should also move somewhere with a disc golf shop :D.

I was going to say the same thing.

Forget about the drivers for a while, well at least the fast ones. I went out yesterday, my second time with a: Lat 64 River, Leopard, Roc and a Warlock and I honestly never even threw the River or the Leo. I did find out I need LOTS of work.

I don't even know if I would recommend a Teebird at this point, though there are tons of people with much more experience then I, My call would be get a Roc or a Buzz, Fuse, Comet, shark or some other slow midrange. Get a good putter too. Throw those. You will be shocked and how they fly probably.

Of course I have no idea what your skill level is at this point.

j_colby,

First off, ANY disc can be used (technically) for ANY shot...but certain ones are 'better than others' for specific shots.

Second, let's concentrate on your (as I perceive it) want of a good FH disc.

If you're looking for absolute max distance FH, the Epic is a good choice BUT you have to understand that, due to its VERY large wing, it will - to get that max distance - have to be thrown with enough room to "s" it through its flight path (as the wide rim will make it hyper-sensitive (will anhy) at very high speeds and will hyzer out once it slows down).

If you're looking for a VERY fast BH disc, again the Epic is a good choice...but again, it'll have to be thrown allowing for the "s" curved-shape flight (can't get around this fact).
If you're looking for a straight flying very fast BH disc, you could do better than the Epic.

Karl

Right now I'm throwing a Star FL, Star TL, and Star Mako. It's funny/infuriating that I already throw the FL and TL just as far as the Nuke and Boss. I think I'll learn to control them before moving forward.

He DID say he was using a Nuke SS.

So sh. But yeah. Just cause you find discs, doesn't mean you have to use them. Or pick them up. In the case of that Aerobie, I would have walked on by.

He DID say he was using a Nuke SS.

So sh. But yeah. Just cause you find discs, doesn't mean you have to use them. Or pick them up. In the case of that Aerobie, I would have walked on by.

Yes, I gathered that when I read the post. I don't care what kind of Nuke it was. Any Nuke is too much for someone throwing that kind of distance (present company included). I disced down immediately the day I outdrove an Ape with a TL and I've thrown the Ape exactly once since... It was because I didn't care if I lost it and there was long grass... And I didn't lose it :wall:.

The Nuke SS is DESIGNED for lower power players due to its understability -- it makes up for the speed you're not going to put into it. I turn over a Nuke SS. You can't just assume because you didn't like the Nuke or couldn't use it well that a DIFFERENT disc will be bad for someone.

Everyone says disc down. Well, there's gotta be something to NOT discing down, since the big name pros don't do it. There's a reason they're that good, and there's a reason companies make discs that fast. Yea, maybe you shouldn't pull it out on a course just yet, but practice is helpful.

The Nuke SS is DESIGNED for lower power players due to its understability -- it makes up for the speed you're not going to put into it. I turn over a Nuke SS. You can't just assume because you didn't like the Nuke or couldn't use it well that a DIFFERENT disc will be bad for someone.

Everyone says disc down. Well, there's gotta be something to NOT discing down, since the big name pros don't do it. There's a reason they're that good, and there's a reason companies make discs that fast. Yea, maybe you shouldn't pull it out on a course just yet, but practice is helpful.

The big name pros are good enough to use high speed drivers, and therefore don't have to disc down. Big rim drivers have advantages, nobody is denying that, but you have to have very good form, snap, power, etc. to be able to utilize those advantages. Most people that use uberspeed drivers are not using them correctly, and discing down is essentially putting proper speed discs in their hands. Eventually, if they get better through use of said proper discs, they can disc back up.

Although I don't think I'd ever use one in a serious match, the Epic could be a fun disc to play around with.

Understandable. However, even in a "fun round" I like to play well and practice. I'll throw multiple discs to try different lines and what-not, but I really don't think I would want to screw around THAT much for fear of breaking myself. :thmbup:

How To Use the Epic (for real)

hold the epic upside-down, and grip it with your thumb on the thin side of the rim (thumber grip) then backhand the **** out of it. It will barrel roll up and to the left (for RHBH) then level out and glide. if you tune it to be understable, as per the instructions on the card, or on Aerobie's website, you can even get it to S-Curve after doing the barrel roll nonsense, which will greatly add to the distance of your throws.

Most people who review this disc say it is only good for hammer/thumber shots, but since I have no rotator cuff muscles, this is how I throw the Epic, and it goes further than any other disc I own. (sometimes) this method of throwing has a steep learning curve, and tons of room for error. My advice (if you actually want to use this disc to it's maximum potential) is to buy a couple MORE, so you can really learn how tuning the Epic affects its flight.

I tried this today and it definitely barrel rolled a lot but didn't ever level out and glide. I think that either I didn't get enough power or didn't throw it high enough.

Interestingly enough I found a reliable way to forehand it, which is interesting. I haven't been able to successfully forehand any other disc consistently. Not only was I successful, but I instantly got more distance than my backhand shot (which I have spent WAY more time developing).

For those with access to an Epic or those who have one but consider it frustrating, try this: Take your standard two finger forehand grip and grip the wide side of the rim. Make sure to release it low and flat or with a slight hyzer. The thing just sails.