• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help! Who can help me with the Aerobie Epic?

j_colby

I have been able to get a few decent forehand shots from this disc, which is more than I can say for any other disc. The problem is that every video I've seen is a tomahawk tutorial or chest puffing video. Anyone have experience/advice for a forehand (or backhand) shot?

The only thing an Epic is good* for is overhands. Any of your normal drivers can be used for forehand, if they don't do what your backhand does, you're doing it wrong.

*good is a relative term in this instance :D

An eagle is a good FH disc, it will help develop your form, firebird is good for quick results.

I can help you with an Aerobie Epic. Here's what you do:

Step 1: Take it to your nearest disc golf shop or Play It Again.
Step 2: Place it on the counter and say "I would like to sell or trade this thing for a disc."
If the shop owner has business sense, go to step 3. If the shop didn't have any business sense or ethics, skip to step 4.
Step 3: Walk out the door, find the nearest dumpster, and chuck it right on in there.
Step 4: Hand the shop owner something in the vicinity of $15 and purchase a quality disc. There are already recommendations on this thread for what that is, some of which I would echo. A Firebird will do you just fine.

Very interesting. I just spent the evening in an open field trying the thumber technique. Got immediate results. I was also able to get the disc to fly pretty well both backhand and forehand. I'll use it as a thumber for now but I need to practice a little more before I can even try to drive with it. It's not nearly as horrible as some of you are making it out to be.

Got decent, consistent results with a Nuke SS. I think on pay day I'll be picking up a Firebird.

It's a fun disc if you've got the arm to throw it overhand.
But, it's not at all practical or versatile.

Very interesting. I just spent the evening in an open field trying the thumber technique. Got immediate results. I was also able to get the disc to fly pretty well both backhand and forehand. I'll use it as a thumber for now but I need to practice a little more before I can even try to drive with it. It's not nearly as horrible as some of you are making it out to be.

Got decent, consistent results with a Nuke SS. I think on pay day I'll be picking up a Firebird.

Consistent results are good, but what's your definition of "decent"? How far are you throwing this Nuke? Not asking to judge because I can't throw anything very far... But if you've been playing four months and have been handed a Nuke and an Epic? You need to find a new place to buy discs because they're yanking your chain. Both of those discs can be good when used correctly, but no shop owner with any sense of ethics would upsell one of those to a beginner.

Decent would be around 250 feet. I bought the Nuke on a whim and I found the Epic. There isn't really a place locally that can tell me about discs.

Decent would be around 250 feet. I bought the Nuke on a whim and I found the Epic. There isn't really a place locally that can tell me about discs.

A Nuke is probably too fast for you at this point. You should be able to get a Nuke a lot farther than that once you get your technique down. I'm not one of them, but a lot of players will throw a putter over 250' with relative ease. I tend to throw fairways and mids at that distance. I don't even bother with high speed discs anymore. I have a Nuke and Ape sitting on the shelf just in case I ever do decide to disc up. Definitely recommend picking up that there Firebird you're thinking about though. A Teebird would be an even better investment at this point in your development. You should also move somewhere with a disc golf shop :D.

If you have some arm power and can twist your body into a shot the epic can and will be trick utility disc. Also you can get some serious d out of it. Only problem is you dont throw it like you would other discs and it warps easy forcing you to tune it often. I would get a 150z flick for overhand/thumbers, YOu can forehand an epic for serious distance but they are very very nose sensitive and if your of so is the disc and could cost you 2 strokes to find your way back from disaster. Use for fun not for $$ or torny