• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help with Distance

discgolftravelerron

Bogey Member
Hey guys,

I've been playing for over a year now and I'm finding it difficult to jump to the "next level" of distance.
It seems that no matter what driver I'm using (XL, Katana, Wraith, Valk, Surge SS, SL) I tend to max out just over 300ft.
Is there anything I can work on that you think would help me out?

Thanks,
Ron

A good starting point would be to watch nose angles. If you're throwing nose up, your going to see some grouping of your discs, regardless of what you are throwing (mids will go as far as drivers.)

Also do your best to eliminate strong-arming. There have been tons of posts that address this issue here and at the DGR forums.

Whats up neighbor, how far do you drive a putter or mid?

Video doesn't lie. It's also the greatest practice tool you can use - many times what you think you're doing and what you're actually doing are very different.

Also, smooth = far. You can get noticably more distance on a smooth pull-through @ 80% power than trying to crush the shot and having jerky awkward form.

Finally, something that I refused to do at first but now am happy I did, buy a straight fairway driver (I'd suggest Stalker or TL) and practice with that. Practicing your form and practicing shaping lines for distance should be 2 separate focal points.

I think shaping lines and being accurate is more important than then getting distance. However distance is pretty fun.

I agree. I can only throw about 300ft, but I can put the disc anywhere I want. I know guys that can out throw me by 100ft and their discs are all over the place. Shot placement can be more important than distance. Throwing far is good, but you gotta be able to make the disc go where you want it to go.

I also can't consistently throw much farther than 300'. However, I've been working on driving with my Wizard and I can probably get it out to 250' if I throw it absolutely as best as I can. I have learned to not trust it out to that far and usually cut off its range at about 220' or so just because I need a perfect throw to get it out that far. This is pretty much the same issue with my Shark, except add like 25-35'. Add about the same distance again for my Cyclone and Gazelle. Teebird and Avenger, I can't even power them correctly without the absolute best throw I have, which must go farther than 320' and even then the flight looks a bit anemic. The Viking is definitely the exception, I can throw an awesome turnover shot about 300-320' with it and it is fairly forgiving of slight flubs.

So yeah, I am looking for the silver bullet or "ah ha!" moment as well.

Just a couple of months ago, I was in the exact same situation and came here looking for help. Below are a few things already mentioned that proved vital to improving my driving.

Whats up neighbor, how far do you drive a putter or mid?

I played several putter/mid only rounds. It was super annoying at first, and I always felt like an idiot when there was a group behind me. However, it worked wonders on my form and my approach game. One of my most comfortable throws now is an anhyzer with my Buzz. Without these rounds, I would have never figured that out.

In addition, my ESP Banger GT has become my bread and butter disc for anything inside 200' and even longer. On short tees, a putter is the best disc you can throw because you have the advantage of sufficient distance plus maximum accuracy.

Also, smooth = far. You can get noticably more distance on a smooth pull-through @ 80% power than trying to crush the shot and having jerky awkward form.

Finally, something that I refused to do at first but now am happy I did, buy a straight fairway driver (I'd suggest Stalker or TL) and practice with that. Practicing your form and practicing shaping lines for distance should be 2 separate focal points.

This was also helpful for me. Once I started using drivers again, I moved up to my Gazelle. Not the most intimidating driver in the world, but I now feel as if I can put it anywhere inside of 300' without much effort. Since then I have been able to move up to more stable discs having worked out the form on the fairway driver.

As for form, smooth is good. I still have to take a second on the tee to stop and visualize my throw. If I rush myself at all, it becomes very mechanical and poor. Also, I found it helpful to minimize the footwork. I ended up using a 3 x step and rarely feel the need for anything more than that. More steps usually just throw me off and have little to no positive impact on the actual throw.

Latest posts