• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help with RHBH throwing form

Up to a foot of snow to golf in, and footing not so great.
But can you see anything I can do to get more distance?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQmwJGE4vX0

While you are moving with a little more force and start a bit more coiled with the throw, you are doing the same movements I mentioned previously.

First improvement would be to get your gut out of the way of your throw. Lean over, stick out that tush, and pull the disc through the belly button area. You are pulling through the sternum area to avoid your gut. Which makes your arm swing out far too soon in your throwing motion. You are losing a lot of centrifugal energy during your unwind with having your arm so high and away from your body to avoid your gut.

Having a gut makes throwing harder, but you can adjust for it. Again, I'm speaking from experience here. You just have to get it out of the way. Like me, you'll never throw 500'+ with that gut though as it does hamper other aspects of a smoother throw and release. That being said, the easiest fix to getting more distance for your throw with your current body is to get the gut out of the way. Work on leaning over farther when reaching back, and staying on top of the disc when pulling through. It might even be better to bring the disc under the naval line to keep it in closer for the throw release.

Good throwers tend to have at least a 35 degree tilt to their upper body/shoulder axis when pulling the disc through the release area. Your shoulders are almost perfectly level during release. Which means you are using more arm strength than body strength to throw with as well.

Your arm mechanics need to be redone and you lean back and forth instead of staying balanced. You shouldn't push off the rear heel, stay off the heel(probably why your ankle and achilles hurts).

Driving help

I really like the Wall Drill. It already has me turning more easily on my heel - I think becuase I'm moving forward first, and not rotating too soon. I'm also keeping my left foot behind, as he states.
FYI, even my second video of me driving is a bad example. Tough to do this well in the snow, but I'm usually pretty consistent at pulling back and through level, and keeping the disc nose down and wing level. The last time I played this hole, I sent a nice, low drive straight down the fairway about 260'. The drive in the video went about 120' on a hyzer, and hit a tree!
Anyway, I'll put your recommendations to use (at least in my basement - still have about a week or so of arctic blast to contend with).
Thanks for everything so far, guys. :hfive:

Improved achilles

The best thing I've done so far is to keep my left (pushoff) foot back. This seems to keep me more balanced, and no pain in my achilles after this round. I'm not so much powering with my left foot as lifting it, and keeping it still while rotating my hips, torso, and shoulders.
Way too much snow right now, but footing actually not bad, so getting up on my toes, and able to go through a pretty good x-step.
Disc on! ;)