• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help with supplies and a few questions.

MoundsPounds

Bogey Member
So I'm fairly new to disc golf, but have fallen in love with the sport and dyeing discs.

I've run through what I have at the house from working with my airbrush stuff and was hoping to see what you guys are using for success. I was using 631 vinyl and it works well but I'm having a few troubles with wrinkles, especially towards the edges of the discs.

So here are my questions. What are you guys using for vinyl. I've seen 651 works nice, and that some are using the greenstar. Will either one make it easier for me with wrinkles?

Do any of you have any tips/tricks for centering the disc on your stencils? How about making sure you get clean edges, no wrinkles?

I also need to pick up a new roll of transfer tape. What do you guys like to use?

Thanks, I've been very impressed with everyone's work on here. You guys do some amazing work.

I use greenstar and love it. it's flexible and easy to work with low clean up afterwards.

how used 12 inch wide transfer tape Lo tac. also green star brand I believe.

I have a squeegee applicator that I like to use instead of a credit card. it comes to a tapered edge instead of a hard one, but I used the credit card and Best Buy gift card for years without problems.

if you look in the tutorials post that is sticky on this forum I have an airbrush tutorial. DyingToPlay also uses airbrush at expert level.

Yeah I looked over the airbursh stuff and got some all free and clear, to do some mixes at it was outlined. My biggest struggle is really applying the vinyl and getting a good smooth surface to work with.
Thanks for the recommendations. I'll give them a try.

For centering discs, there's a post somewhere here about using a laser pointer where you place it on the groung pointing up, the laser shoots through a glass top table and the vinyl. Then you would bring the disc down and center it that way. Easier on a champ disc, not sure if you could see the laser through opaque plastic.

I use a needle to center my discs. Works for both transparent and opaque plastics.

^^^ Could you go into a little more detail, possibly a pic (?), of your needle technique? I botched a stencil this weekend trying to get it centered and had to purchase another one. Anyone else have any suggestions for centering? Thanks in advance!

^^^ Could you go into a little more detail, possibly a pic (?), of your needle technique? I botched a stencil this weekend trying to get it centered and had to purchase another one. Anyone else have any suggestions for centering? Thanks in advance!

LoPan12's way is what I used to do but does not work with really dark, opaque discs. I also don't have a light table. I do it a little different and than LoPan's and it's quite a bit of work at first. I'm used to it now but if anyone can make this process better, please post.

1. place small piece of masking tape on center of disc and sharpie a dot unto it, this makes #4 easier to spot the center.
2. Poke a hole through center of vinyl after applying transfer tape, in my case, masking tape.
3. Remove needle and cut backing in half diagonally and peel the half without the hole.
4. Put needle back through vinyl then place the point on the sharpie dot, push vinyl down.
5. Secure unpeeled half of the backing to disc with a little tape.
6. Remove needle, fold vinyl and peel the already peeled backing off then apply to disc pushing the vinyl from the center. I do this in an arc.
7. Remove both tapes, the one with sharpie dot and the securing tape, and apply the other half of the vinyl.

I didn't read the whole search thread so if this process is already posted, I apologize.

I use the laser pointer setup and it works great. I mark the center of my vinyl with a small sharpie dot (on the backing). Then I center my image around the dot. After I'm done cutting, I apply the transfer tape and put a dot on the top, matching the one underneath. I peel the backing off and lay the vinyl on my light table (sticky side up, of course). I center the dot under my laser pointer, then lower the disc onto the vinyl, centering the laser on the "nipple" of the disc. Hope this makes sense.

Attachments

• P1020057.jpg
    P1020057.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 14
Thanks guys, both great methods. I'm gonna five the laser pointer method a try, I have an unused one lying around. Time to get some use out of it. Thanks again, my searches we're coming up with the wrong results. Felt like a moron when you used centering, obviously i didn't try that.

Got vinyl and transfer tape on the way.

Yeah, the laser pointer is definitely much easier. I'll have to give that a shot myself. Good luck and be sure to post your stuff!:thmbup: