• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

His.old.lady driving help

Tfire25

Double Eagle Member
http://youtu.be/fJC1gOu9qv0

Well, my wife is really getting into dg. She has some bad ass drives for someone new to the game. Even though I'm in fear of my life I will still post the vid. Her biggest problem is releasing with an anny. Any and all comments about her form are greatly appreciated. Well, until she finds this thread. J/k.

a lot would improve just pulling straight through and not wraping her arm like that around the back-- pull the disc away from behind the back arm and bring it out/through on the line. Its basically throwing around vs through also likely why the disc is coming out with anhyzer. It actually looks very nice all things considered and some slight arm adjustments should help a lot because she would get her weight back even further and allows for more leverage. Lot better form than I expected to see honestly. :thmbup::hfive:

She does a really good job of starting with the hips to get the power and her timing is pretty nice. Looks like she could actually try to slow it down a little to build acceleration as the entire throw is happening within 1 second and hard to see in the video frame by frame.

Last edited:
It's probably a lot better form than you expected to see because you have seen my form. Thank you! I now don't fear her seeing this thread lol.

Not too shabby with the sequencing, like aim said she is uncorking around more than forward. Her balance is a bit behind the front heel during the throw which is ok for anhyzer, if she wants to throw hyzer she needs to tilt balance more toward the toes so the throwing shoulder swings lower to a higher finish. Could also try x-stepping.

Not too shabby with the sequencing, like aim said she is uncorking around more than forward. Her balance is a bit behind the front heel during the throw which is ok for anhyzer, if she wants to throw hyzer she needs to tilt balance more toward the toes so the throwing shoulder swings lower to a higher finish. Could also try x-stepping.

She has her first tournament this weekend so I don't want to change to much. I told her about this thread and she laughed. I'm just thankful I'm still alive.

She tried the straight reachback and it screwed up her timing pretty bad. I've tried and tried to get her to do an x step but like I said we are gonna try incorporating more on Monday.

She is releasing with an anny on almost every throw. That works for her t bird and valk, but she is turning over her jls and diamond. Well not turning over but staying in an anny to the ground. Your saying to keep on her toes and that should help right?

Noob question, when you want to put a hyzer/anny on a disc do you put more arm angle or spine angle? I usually tilt my spine but I didn't know if that was right or not.

Yep more toward the toes for hyzer. Shoulder/ throwing plane follows the spine tilt. The arm just follows along for the ride.

If she doesn't mind the title she probably won't mind that you posted the video. Good luck!

Lol his.old.lady is my dgcr name :)

Thanks everyone. I'm going to try some of y'all's suggestions tomorrow and see if it helps before the tournament Saturday. It's my first and I'm hoping to figure it out before then.

Watching her gives me a better idea of how to fix my throw. Thanks! Do y'all think doing the X step would help? I'm a bit clumsy and am afraid I would fall and make an A out of myself lol. And I thought it would be better to get my throw down and focus on the rest later.

Yes and no regarding the x-step. Its really for more power but often hinders actual mechanics in the throw when a player isn't understanding how to use the run-up properly. Things like direction which you go through the teepad also need to be considered and more focus on timing.

For now id say to not worry about it too much but definitely not something to ignore either. One of those things where it will feel weird and likely you get worse before better.

Every little change screws up your form until it becomes natural. And then you revert back to old habits and have to start over again. It's a viscous cycle. Downright aggravating. And then you launch that perfect line and you couldn't imagine field practice being a waste of time.

All the hours spent practicing, all the money spent, and its all worth it when you hit that perfect line and watch your disc be coddled in the arms of a medieval looking death trap. Or just not finishing dfl in a tournament.

As aim said, start with as few renovations as possible. Get a standing reach back, throw hyzer, use your hips and back leg drive, then start adding steps. Almost naturally an x step evolves it self.....

Watching her gives me a better idea of how to fix my throw. Thanks! Do y'all think doing the X step would help? I'm a bit clumsy and am afraid I would fall and make an A out of myself lol. And I thought it would be better to get my throw down and focus on the rest later.

My wife eliminated the x-step and ended up a lot more accurate and didn't lose a whole lot of distance. At this point in your development I would do what you feel comfortable with, you can get plenty of distance with a standstill or 1 step throw. My wife is throwing 300'ish with a 1 step these days.