• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

holy hyzers

JNash16

Let me preface this post with some previous happenings.

Last summer I had a little OAT creep into my game (not too bad though). To fix this I put down my big boy drivers (boss, teerex), and went back to throwing some more understable discs (valkyrie, surge, wraith) on hyzer flips. This was working wonders for me, and my accuracy and distance improved steadily during this period of time. I played some very consistent golf for about 3 months. My distance driving went up (350-400), and my midrange game became much more effective with the improved accuracy. I also began to use a new approach when throwing. I now start of the pad facing the basket and move into the throwing motion whereas I used to start with my shoulders pointing to the basket.

Now, the problem at hand is that I am struggling to get the power required to get these discs to flip up. I had a friend tell me a couple weeks ago that I appear to be "leaning" over the disc much more than usual so I had him film me on my ipod so that I could see it compared to some other shots I had recorded. The first thing I have noticed in this time is that my plant foot (rhbh) is twisting my knee to the point that I have to ice it. Now this may be due to a previous injury (hyper-extension) during football. I have noticed that I am not getting the same lower body twist that I was getting during the time that I was throwing very successfully. My midrange game has stayed fairly consistent, but my long range mid-rang game is suffering due to the run-up and such.

Do I need to slow back down to the one-step and slowly work back up?

Any suggestions and comments are welcome :)

btw... my midrange discs are ... CryZstal Buzzz....Elite-Z Buzz.... and oh a FLX Buzzz....

Sounds like you are not transferring your weight correctly which is probably related to your footwork.

That's one way. It may be just playing around with footwork, like getting your butt facing toward the target.

I agree that working on transferring your weight correctly is what you should focus on. However...

JNash16;829582(valkyrie said:
Those discs need to be beat up before they'll flip from anything more than a slight hyzer at those distances. It's not uncommon to realize just how off your perceptions of "stability" were after you clean up your throw.

Are you turning on your heel ( right foot ) ? Or do you just plant it and twist the knee ? If you have to ice the knee, there is something very wrong.

I think you should start with your shoulder pointing at the basket.
I can't imagine how your new facing target approach is helping- either you're adding pointless steps or really testing your flexability.

from the way it feels I woudl dare say I'm just planting and twisting. I can tell that when I throw a really nice shot I just rotate on it. Power has never been an object for me until now, and I can tell that I have been using it to compensate for other aspects of my game that have been lacking