• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Homeowners near course demand removal of hole...

I would add a hole in there, put a basket for new hole 5 closer to 3's tee pad. Then add a new pad back close to the houses and throw back to the current hole 5 position for the new hole 6. Now you have two shorter shots throwing away from the houses.

All this and people actually pay MORE money to be located along the fairways of ball golf courses, all the while their homeowners association not allowing netting or fencing.

I have never understood paying for fairway housing unless you live in a city with a hostile environment (like a desert). Golf courses are ugly as sin if you just look out at them, and the people playing golf are even uglier.

I would add a hole in there, put a basket for new hole 5 closer to 3's tee pad. Then add a new pad back close to the houses and throw back to the current hole 5 position for the new hole 6. Now you have two shorter shots throwing away from the houses.

That was first thought/recommendation, we didn't have a hole auger and concrete at the time though....

But yes, centralising hole(s) would be an option... we thought about putting #5 near #3 teepad. I think it Needs trees to make it interesting and to protect players teeing off though. ..no?

"Regarding reversing hole 10, and making new hole 9 behind it, yes that is the dream , i need a bridge though - $10,000 . "

$10K? Are you using carts?

You can never underestimate where a noobs throw will go. I got hit in the arm by a disc a couple days ago, the basket was to the left of where the guy was standing. He threw it almost 90 degrees to the right and hit me from about 150' away, no warning -- fun times.

I have a unique perspective as my house backs up to a disc golf fairway. I am an avid player but when I'm relaxing on my deck I don't enjoy seeing people trampling around my fence looking for a disc. However I realize it's public property and that's part of the deal. What I have no tolerance for are the who don't close my gate after retrieving their disc.

It was funny the other day my dog grabbed a brand new wide rimmed driver that landed in my yard and added some character to the flight plate. In retrospect she did the newbie a favor but I still went thru my stash and found him a replacement.

To the original poster - if discs are landing in their yard you need to alter your design.

You pretty much need it where all the tees are by the fence line with the flight lines being nearly perpendicular to the fence. There are two courses nearby me where holes had to be reworked to have this done (Carver Park in Keene and Bicentennial in Crowley). Disc golf is not mainstream enough to ever win against most any complaints to the city. Make it where players have to throw 180 from where they are trying, and you can resolve it. That's going to be the only way, sadly.

"Regarding reversing hole 10, and making new hole 9 behind it, yes that is the dream , i need a bridge though - $10,000 . "

City park departments and ADA cam complicate the freak out of a very simple thing. We want a simple wood bridge, basically a couple of 4x4's with a bunch of 2x4's on it, but the city turns it into a massive concrete monstrosity. So we still don't have bridges.

You pretty much need it where all the tees are by the fence line with the flight lines being nearly perpendicular to the fence. There are two courses nearby me where holes had to be reworked to have this done (Carver Park in Keene and Bicentennial in Crowley). Disc golf is not mainstream enough to ever win against most any complaints to the city. Make it where players have to throw 180 from where they are trying, and you can resolve it. That's going to be the only way, sadly.

Pretty much this. I'm late to jump into this one but one thing that stood out to me is that we have a mashup of the homeowners being completely reasonable and correct (I don't want discs and golfers in my yard) and being overly entitled jerks (I don't want a fence, or trees, or to see golfers in "my" park).

So my take is - eliminate the potential for horrid shots to go in their yard by backing the tees up right next to their yards, throwing into the park. Then they have no real qualm as we'll never need to enter their yard, and they get over the fact that people are actually using a public park in their line of sight (gasps).

Did these people buy the house after the course was installed? Did they know there was a course there prior to buying? If so, and if they're complaining because there are people there, then tough cookies I say. They shouldnt have bought the house next to a park.

Never underestimate the power of public complaining. The Navy base I work at has existed for almost 100 years and is located here specifically because of the overwater range for testing big Navy gun ballistics. Some people that move here, but commute to DC, complain all the time when the guns are tested. There have been extra flight hour restrictions put on airports that's been around for years because some developer put in a subdivision under the flight path.

Best thing to do is design the holes as many have suggested. If you don't eventually one person will convince another and another and another till the city won't be able to ignore them.

Nope . Everything has to be analyzedone, engineered? Blah bla. Engineering along would charge $10,000 plus

Pretty much this. I'm late to jump into this one but one thing that stood out to me is that we have a mashup of the homeowners being completely reasonable and correct (I don't want discs and golfers in my yard) and being overly entitled jerks (I don't want a fence, or trees, or to see golfers in "my" park).

So my take is - eliminate the potential for horrid shots to go in their yard by backing the tees up right next to their yards, throwing into the park. Then they have no real qualm as we'll never need to enter their yard, and they get over the fact that people are actually using a public park in their line of sight (gasps).

Except the most vocal person against the course is the the one that borders hole 6 teepad. If all baskets were by Creek they still wouldn't like it.... There is a zero percent chance of a disc landing in his yard. He just doesn't like the fact he has no say that a public park is being used by the public.

But as city administration told me...the city could build a jungle gym 10 feet from their fence line without notifying or consultanting them. They have no more say than any other taxpayer.

Potential hazard of hole #5 and discs landing in their yard was mitigated april 1st... so i am confident.

They are sending a delegation to city council tommorow asking city to review the course....
I think this is good, city will tell them.... course has already been modified... too bad if teepads are near your fence line....it is a public park.

Nope . Everything has to be analyzedone, engineered? Blah bla. Engineering along would charge $10,000 plus

Just throwing this out there but we recently ran into this very issue with one of our parks departments. Long story short, one of our longstanding old bridges was washed out and had to be removed. Our club spent a lot of time trying to work with the town and were given the same hoops with engineers, huge costs, etc. Then a local boyscout came in (unrelated to the DG club, I believe) and proposed a project to the town and it was approved and he was able to construct a new bridge that we are very thankful to have. Not sure if we just got extra lucky but I've also heard of this happening in other parks where towns are more likely to let a boyscout do something they wouldn't let a DG club do.

Except the most vocal person against the course is the the one that borders hole 6 teepad. If all baskets were by Creek they still wouldn't like it.... There is a zero percent chance of a disc landing in his yard. He just doesn't like the fact he has no say that a public park is being used by the public.

But as city administration told me...the city could build a jungle gym 10 feet from their fence line without notifying or consultanting them. They have no more say than any other taxpayer.

Potential hazard of hole #5 and discs landing in their yard was mitigated april 1st... so i am confident.

They are sending a delegation to city council tommorow asking city to review the course....
I think this is good, city will tell them.... course has already been modified... too bad if teepads are near your fence line....it is a public park.

This is good news here, especially if the city is on board with the hole removal. I doubt anything that anyone does will appease that guy (by #6) as it sounds like he thinks he owns the park behind his yard.

Just throwing this out there but we recently ran into this very issue with one of our parks departments. Long story short, one of our longstanding old bridges was washed out and had to be removed. Our club spent a lot of time trying to work with the town and were given the same hoops with engineers, huge costs, etc. Then a local boyscout came in (unrelated to the DG club, I believe) and proposed a project to the town and it was approved and he was able to construct a new bridge that we are very thankful to have. Not sure if we just got extra lucky but I've also heard of this happening in other parks where towns are more likely to let a boyscout do something they wouldn't let a DG club do.
It is easier for Boy Scout troops to get approval to do these sort of things.

The BSA has a whole training program called Disc Golf in Support of Scouting. With the drive to get Disc Golf represented more at their Jamboree, it might be more impetus for a closer partnership.

Keep us updated on the review.... I need the mental satisfaction of the city telling the guy to shove it.

Too many cities side with whiny NIMBY's these days.

Keep us updated on the review.... I need the mental satisfaction of the city telling the guy to shove it.

Too many cities side with whiny NIMBY's these days.

Here is video of hole 6.

https://youtu.be/AOqypiNA2_8

We redesigned the hole #5 that was causing the rare errant disc, April 1st. There is an updated map attached.

The Mayor and City want the parks to be used as true multi use parks that are utilized to their potential, and disc golf falls in line with that. The course a part of the city infrastructure now, it's a done deal, it's already been approved and a 5 year deal signed last year.

The Mayor is meeting with a couple of the Disc Golf Club members and homeowners in the next week or so to try to come to an understanding.

Here are some quotes

Mayor Dale Bumstead said he understands both sides, but wants the park to be used.

"Those are public spaces and that's what they're intended for, you want to encourage the use of them," he said.

"We spend a lot of money every year maintaining them and looking after them and you want your parks used for whatever purposes they can."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/disc-golf-dawson-creek-city-council-1.3541490

Van Oort told council Monday that he also had concerns about being injured by flying discs, citing a course in California where a woman was struck.

However, Chief Administrative Officer Jim Chute said that as far as the city's insurers are concerned, disc golf is no more dangerous than any other activity permitted in city parks.

He said the Municipal Insurance Association considers disc golf a "very low-risk" activity. When the city added disc golf to its parks insurance, the association "didn't add anything to our premium because in B.C., none of the communities have ever had (an insurance) claim on disc golf," Chute said.

As of Monday, council appeared unlikely to remove the disc golf course.

Mayor Dale Bumstead said the city would meet with the homeowners and the club to try to develop tweaks to the course.
- See more at: http://www.dawsoncreekmirror.ca/daw...rom-neighbours-1.2234904#sthash.XzUZfo1G.dpuf

Attachments

• 9af6a4_3be735d8965a42dcb1b7a987bd51d4b4.jpg
    9af6a4_3be735d8965a42dcb1b7a987bd51d4b4.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 29
from the look of the map, I'd redesign the whole course. Looks like a really weird flow from hole to hole. Would eliminate the issue with the hole that is causing the problem.

from the look of the map, I'd redesign the whole course. Looks like a really weird flow from hole to hole. Would eliminate the issue with the hole that is causing the problem.

Im having a hard time following the map for sure. Looks rough. 2 and 5 share a basket?! While 5 crosses over 3s teepad?! Cant be right...

Yea trying to fit 12 holes in this area doesn't look like the best use of space. Could probably have a much better 9hole course...

I general, any time any change is made to a course, the entire course should be opened up to re-thinking and possible re-design. A single change will usually impact many other holes, and many courses could benefit from more up-to-date design standards.

Latest posts