• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hopelessly lost- stable? overstable?

Definitely some confusing terminology at 1st but you'll get it. I kind of like the old ball golf hook and slice terms. The 1st time I heard stable etc I went "huh".

definitely read the link that garublador posted. but if it's still confusing, here's some simple explanations
overstable- a disk is overstable when it has a high tendency to fly to the left for a Right handed, backhand thrower (RHBH).
understable-a disk is understable when it has a high tendency to fly to the right for a Right handed, backhand thrower (RHBH).
you may not understand it exactly, but the more you throw discs and read threads about stability, the more you'll get it.

I concur go to the inovva discs site, i learned a lot there, printed it all out so I can tell what discs are supposed to do what when I throw them i can compare.

Isnt an understable disc still going to come back to the left eventually because of the rotation?

I have thrown my shark with a good anhyzer and I still get it to come back left on me.

Isnt an understable disc still going to come back to the left eventually because of the rotation?
All discs will eventually come back given enough height. Some are understable to the point where it's nearly impossible to throw them high enough, though, and still get any distance.

The final fade to left is because most discs are low-speed overstable (go left)... the stability being discussed above is the stability during high speeds.

Discs of all types stabilities will fade in the same direction if thrown in the same way. Its just a matter of how pronounced this fade is. An overstable disc will fade considerably more and do so sooner. An understable one if thrown with enough anhyzer may hit the ground before this fade even occurs.

Latest posts