• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

hornet vs. wasp vs. generic overstable mid

dehaas

* Ace Member *
Ok, so I currently throw a gator as my overstable midrange and don't wanna have to fork out serious dough any longer for them. I also throw a wasp and like it a lot, but it doesn't perform nearly as well as my gator in heavy winds. How much more overstable is the hornet compared to the wasp? The wasp I throw is a 176 flat topped older z wasp and I can get out a little beyond 300 feet. I wouldn't mind checking out a hornet, or a gateway demon, or any other meathook mid that is cheaper and easier to replace than the old champ gators.

I assume since you say you don't want to fork out serious dough that you are throwing champion gators.

You have a few options.

1. get a cfr gator, they're fairly common and under $20

2. try out a flx drone, it will fly similar to a champ gator for $14-$17

3. learn to control the wasp better, you really don't need anything more overstable than a buzzz/roc to cover your mid shots, a wasp is even more stable then both those so you should be able to handle any wind with it alone.

4. the latitude 64 pain is suppose to be a fairly reliable overstable mid

5. give the hornet a try, it's in between a wasp and drone in stability but has quite a bit of glide, think shorter predator.

demons, the s beat into great control mids and the hpp are meat hooks that destroy the wind.

I wasn't too impressed with the Hornet--it wasn't different enough to earn a slot in my bag. It has nice glide at high speed then fades hard when it slows down. I didn't think it was much more stable than a Wasp except at the end so I'm not sure I'd trust it into a strong headwind. I would reach for a Drone in that case.

Wizler said:
I wasn't too impressed with the Hornet--it wasn't different enough to earn a slot in my bag. It has nice glide at high speed then fades hard when it slows down. I didn't think it was much more stable than a Wasp except at the end so I'm not sure I'd trust it into a strong headwind.

i still had to throw it with hyzer in strong winds, even then it wasn't with very good results. my champ spider is better in wind than the hornet.

Wizler said:
I wasn't too impressed with the Hornet--it wasn't different enough to earn a slot in my bag. It has nice glide at high speed then fades hard when it slows down. I didn't think it was much more stable than a Wasp except at the end so I'm not sure I'd trust it into a strong headwind. I would reach for a Drone in that case.

This is what I was afraid of. I really like the buzzz/wasp combo because the feeling in the hand is essentially identical. If I need a straight finish I toss a buzzz, if I need some fade at the end I throw the wasp. I've never liked powering down on discs, so the wasp would get me into trouble on holes maybe 260-280 with a headwind. I felt like I could throw a gator that far with control into a headwind. Haha and I'm talking 20-30 mph headwinds too, my z wasp is definitely stable enough to handle being thrown into a normal wind without flipping.

I've been contemplating the demon since I'm down near St. Louis in gateway country. Figure I could just go to the factory and pick one or two out.

I enjoy the same Wasps you do, as stable w/o the hook. For hooks, have you tried a Pred/XXX/etc with full snap but less arm speed for mid range duties?

I've got a star gator that I love for RHFH. I flick it up to 225' comfortably but big headwinds and pushing it over 250' straightens it out. I can get it RHBH to 270' comfortably but over that my consistancy goes way down. I throw a 176 GL Pain that complements my 175 Buzz very well. I use it out to 320' and the fade if very predictable. It handles crosswinds well and low to moderate headwinds. However, I turn it over when I power up a flick.

I have two ESP Ace Race Hornets, 171 & 173. My sidearm turns my flippy 173 in a 10mph wind to straight and I lose more than half the fade on the 171 with 250' of power. 300' is comfortable RHBH but I have to be very careful with the release or they fly everywhere. Wanna trade something for my hornet? I'd love to trade for a Drone. The FLX Drone I flicked several times reminded me of a hornet that started fading harder and sooner but in a short dependable way. I'm probably going to get one for windy days when I'm thinking my firebird will skip too much.

Did I say get a Pain yet? As short as the gator is I'm diggin my new JOKERi for slightly straighter but still wind resistant BH shots.

dehaas said:
is the pain a smaller diameter or larger diameter mid?

dont quote me on this but im pretty sure they are large diameter...they feel SOOO much like a drone its not even funny, however they also DEF fly less stable than one.

Discnation.com lists the Pain at 21.7, Discgolfcenter.com lists the Drone at 21.5, and Innova specs the Gator at 21.2. On a side note, I don't know if you've ever held Latitude plastic before but I think its great and many could care less but the GL plastic looks very cool.

Star gators are all beaded now so you could start buying those. Or just get a drone, those things crush the wind.

It really depends on what distances youre trying to throw in the wind before you break out a driver.

These estimates are based off of you getting a wasp to 300 on a calm day

150-225 Drone/Demon/Star gator/zone

225-325 Hornet/Pain/Gremlin/Sentinel/shockwave/vector/Newer KC Pro Roc

those are some different options, some better than others, FOr the most part theyre all different discs with a different feel

some like the gremlin and the roc and vector are going to be good in the wind for smaller arms, and for bigger arms they wont be as great.

Hate the Wasp. All the ones I've thrown were not much more stable than a heavy Z Buzzz. and I put Buzzz's out to 325' on 10' high Line Drives. No OAT here.

Second reason I Hate the Wasp...It's essentially the same mold as a Roc can we all agree on that? So if you're throwing a Wasp you must be a huge Discraft Honk, because Innova makes the exact same mold but it flies about 1000x better (Rough Estimate) and it can be found in baseline plastic. All the DX Rocs I've thrown have been quite a bit more stable, a lot longer, and a lot better in the wind than any Z Wasp.

I put the Wasp in the same boat with the Focus, blatant ripoffs of competitors molds, Focus is essentially a KC Aviar. The Wasp and Focus are obvious copies but the originals are soooo much better that there really is no reason for anyone to be throwing anything but the originals. I mean at least when Gateway ripped off the KC Aviar they actually made a disc that's as good or better than the original.

The Hornet on the other hand...Will always have a spot in my bag as long the Buzzz does. Someone else said it perfectly when they said it's a shorter slower Predator. As straight as a Buzzz for 80% w/ a hard late fade and a good skip usually...I shape all my mid lines with a Buzzz but when the wind is blowing in my face I reach for the Hornet. Or when I need a mid line that has to finish right (LHBH)

I always thought the Challenger was the rip off of the KC aviar and the Focus was the rip off of the Wizard. But, I don't know shit about shit.

How is the wizard a ripoff? I thought it used a new method for molding more weight out on the rim. Did Innova do that first or is any putter with a bead a ripoff of the kc?

Steve said:
How is the wizard a ripoff? I thought it used a new method for molding more weight out on the rim. Did Innova do that first or is any putter with a bead a ripoff of the kc?
I don't think anyone said that Wizard ripped off the BB Aviar. Focus on the other hand is very "inspired by" the Wizard.

Latest posts