• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hornet's Nest--soon to come back to life

tom12003

Eagle Member
The 18-24 month closure of Hornet's Nest (Charlotte) is about to come to an end! It's RIP nature has been mentioned in many other threads but it's comeback deserves a new thread.

Yesterday, 11 new tee pads were poured, and today about 25 DGers continued to manicure the course and installed new sleeves, benches, and tee sign supports. Two new retention walls and a large deck tee pad yet to come. Baskets should be installed in about a month or so. The course will host a PDGA B-Tier on April 1 (already filled with 90 players).

Thanks to Mark Huether and Stan McDaniel for the redesign after changes were forced by utility company interruption.

The course will consist of 2 tee pads per hole and one basket. The short tees will be similar to the old Nest layout in difficulty and the long tees will enhance the teeth of the old Web layout (making it a par 71). The new hole 2 will be an island green with about a 250-ft water carry. The majority of the course will have similar holes to the old layouts and the new holes will be exciting additions.

Time to make Hornet's Nest a destination course beginning in April. Course will be used during the 2018 AM Worlds.

Last edited:
Never played Hornet's Nest, and most likely never will, but this is great news for those most affected by this. :thmbup: It's always good to hear about a much loved course coming back to be played again.

This is great. I will surely be back to NC when it re-opens. This course is great from hole 1-18!

Is there a site (other than FB) where workdays and/or course-work needs are posted?

So is the course pretty different? Sounds like a lot of new pads but not sure if that equates to new holes? If that's the case, I'll add a new page for the course rather than reviving the old one.

So is the course pretty different? Sounds like a lot of new pads but not sure if that equates to new holes? If that's the case, I'll add a new page for the course rather than reviving the old one.

It has some significant changes on the "Nest" Layout(9/18 Holes are ajusted or new). Web is a little more original(4/18 holes are adjusted or new)

Oh cool. I've been kicking myself for never playing the Web layout so I'm glad it's mostly intact.

My favorite design feature of the new layouts is moving to multiple teepads instead of multiple baskets for the dual layouts. Web was a major pain to play in the past as there was poor flow between the two layouts.

Talk to Huey (1978) about whether or not we should create a new page. A few points to debate include:

Pros: New Reviews (and this version will rate better, better installation, flow and creature comforts)

Cons: Most Played Course status is lost

My favorite design feature of the new layouts is moving to multiple teepads instead of multiple baskets for the dual layouts. Web was a major pain to play in the past as there was poor flow between the two layouts.

Agreed 100%!

Played Nest Saturday and Web Sunday.

I can't recall remembering Web fondly, I have played it plenty of times, but maybe it's those little tweaks before a big tournament that always aggravated me. I was quite happy to play this new configuration Sunday. New holes 1 and 2 are awesome. Really like the use the gauntlet tee on 16. hole 15 is nice too. Gotta work on my drives on 14 as I have not hit the gap in a bunch of tries. Hard to tell the distance and angle.

Glad I get a favorite back in the mix for events/leagues/casual play.

Incidentally, I shot the same front on Nest and Web... 28.

I loaded a new course today. I included hole 19, although we didnt have numbers for 19 so it is currently unmarked. Additionally, I plan on installing a practice basket near the opening for hole 1 Nest if I get park / club budget approval.

Mark

I loaded a new course today. I included hole 19, although we didnt have numbers for 19 so it is currently unmarked. Additionally, I plan on installing a practice basket near the opening for hole 1 Nest if I get park / club budget approval.

Mark

Are the Web and Hornets Nest considered two different courses? If so, we should have two unique course pages from the start - a la Renny Gold & Pro Players; Winthrop Gold & Lakefront. We only had a single page for the two courses in the past, and that got to be a hassle with course updates, ratings & online scorecards.