• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How can TURN be PLUS?

Spike1

Eagle Member
Ok, this question is so elementary it has either been discussed a lot in previous threads (please show me the link) or I just don't get the most elementary things about the disc ratings.

How could a disc have a plus rating for turn? Where's the logic? Either it turns or it doesn't. There is no reversed turn that is the opposite to the usual turn. Turn is turn. On or off.

If a disc goes left directly after you release it (r.h/b.h), that means it has started fading immediately. A disc doesn't turn left and then fade left. What it does in that case is fading all the way. And if there is NO turn; isn't 0 a better way to symbolize "nothing" than to put a plus rating? (…even more nothing?) If a +1 on turn is showing that the disc is very high speed stable, then you could just as well give another disc -1 at fade to show how extremely well it resists fading. I think my Wham-O would qualify for a minus in fade, if it wasn't for the fact that there is no such thing as "reversed fade". Either it fades or it doesn't. Same with turn. Otherwise; can we have a glide -1 disc if it glides worse than a glide 0 disc? To me that sounds silly. So, why this strange way of dividing turn into plus and minus.

I'm looking for a logical explanation, and my best guess is that turn is mixed up with understable (nicely symbolized by a minus), and that the opposite of understable is overstable (plus). But unlike understable there is no opposite to turn. It's there or it's not there. Of course, nothing says that something is the opposite to something else just because it goes from a minus to a plus (a scale can start at any number), but if that is the case here then the highest number available would mean "not turn over", and the highest number I've seen for Turn is +2 (on Joes Flight Chart). A +1 would then mean "this disc could turn over" and 0 would mean "this disc can definitely turn over". So, if that is the principle here, then +2 is the closest we get to a zero turn today, but tomorrow we might have a disc with a turn of +3 (which would then be the zero turn disc). With the same method a -1 at speed would mean "this disc flies slower than a speed 0 disc", rather than "this disc goes backwards" (or in what other dimension it would travel into).

OR, could it be that the pluses on turn simply symbolize "going left" (for r.h b.h) instead of meaning a physical term for a certain aerodynamical force?
If Discraft rates a disc to -1 it's logical because it symbolizes an understable flight path as opposite to an overstable or a stable flight path. But Innova's +1 turn on Viper, or Joe's Flight Chart's +2 (also Viper) isn't logical because… well you guessed it: There's no opposite to turn, and turn is usually described with 0 or negative numbers, unless of course if it's based on a gliding scale across the pluses and minuses, where a plus isn't the opposite to a minus. That would mean a different way of using plus and minus than we use to describe overstable and understable (because there the plus and minus means two very different types of flight characteristics rather than being a measure of how much of something).

At Joe's it's h.s.s instead of turn, and I'm not sure about the difference between the two. I would say they mean the same, but if the h.s.s. of +2 at Joe's could simply mean "the first part of the flight path" rather than being a technical term or force. Then it would make sense. Then Viper could take off to the left, described with a +2, and then continue further to the left (l.s.s). I don't know the technical definition of "turn", but I see it as some kind of physical aerodynamic counterforce to the fade. For some reason it is measured in minus, and when it then goes from minus to plus the counterforce would become a helping force. And then we would be going in new dimensions again. It's just not logic!!

Please help me sort things out. How can turn be plus?

-1 = turns in no wind, straight in tailwind
0 = straight in no wind, turns in headwind
+1 = overstable in no wind, straight in headwind
+++ = overstable in any wind

also tl;dr

Yeah, all the disc ratings are mostly BS, anyways. You can't turn those numbers into numerical predictions of how they'll fly in reality. Its really a pretty archaic system.

But if you're staying with the same manufacturer, then you'll at least know a few molds and their numbers as a reference, the the relative difference in other numbers should give you some idea how another disc will fit between them.

JHern said:
Yeah, all the disc ratings are mostly BS, anyways. You can't turn those numbers into numerical predictions of how they'll fly in reality. Its really a pretty archaic system.

But if you're staying with the same manufacturer, then you'll at least know a few molds and their numbers as a reference, the the relative difference in other numbers should give you some idea how another disc will fit between them.
Well, I wanted to know the idea behind the ratings, even if they ar BS.

Leopard said:
-1 = turns in no wind, straight in tailwind
0 = straight in no wind, turns in headwind
+1 = overstable in no wind, straight in headwind
+++ = overstable in any wind

also tl;dr
yes, that explains what the positive ratings stand for, but not really the logic behind a plus/minus system for turn. Why not keep it simple by starting from zero, like they do with speed, fade and glide? You can learn any system eventually, I'm just curious about why they chose this one. And yes, my post was long.

Ok, here's the o.p. in brief, for the lazy tl;dr guys :D

There is no more logic in a +1 turn rate (like on Viper) than it would be with a -1 fade rating on my Wham-O Frisbee (even though it fades far less than any golf disc rated 0). The Frisbee would still just get a 0 for fade. It can't get a -1 in speed either, even though it flies far slower than most golf discs.

Because: A disc can't turn less than not at all, and go into a state where the turn is reversed into a positive rating. And it can't fly slower than not at all, glide less than not at all or fade less than not at all. So… the positive turn rating is just numbers without much sense. Or simply a sign of a bad rating system. I'm not saying that they don't work. The +1 says that the disc is extremely high speed stable, and that info is useful. But it's just not logic, unless someone can explain the logics.

Yes, most rating systems are horrible. If you are speaking of the Innova rating system it is defined as resistance to turn, not the actual rate. At least, it was the last time I checked.

Well if I had to make a guess it's because when they'd been making discs that they rated as 0 turn (then the most resistant to turning) and then came up with discs that were even more resistant to turning they rather just labeled the new discs as +1/+2 rather than adjust all the old ones to have -1 etc. They're all very very relative scales, and NOT meant to be scientific. If you want to have scientific flight ratings you need to stick with Vibram, their ratings are based on how many degrees the disc turns from flat when thrown 20% faster than it's optimal speed and how much it fades when it slows down to 20% less than it's optimal speed. Other than that they're just relative guidelines.

riverboy said:
Yes, most rating systems are horrible. If you are speaking of the Innova rating system it is defined as resistance to turn, not the actual rate. At least, it was the last time I checked.
Yes, Innova's system was one of the two I mentioned, and you're right; the numbers don't say how a disc flies. If they did then a speed 13 disc would fly in the same speed for everyone. The purpose with the plus/minus scale of turn would likely be to let 0 symbolize an intended straight flight path (it appears to be that way). If 0 symbolizes straight, the negative numbers would then symbolize understability and positive numbers the opposite. But a plus could then easily be mistaken for a positive turn (which is impossible) rather than big resistance to turn.
jubuttib said:
Well if I had to make a guess it's because when they'd been making discs that they rated as 0 turn (then the most resistant to turning) and then came up with discs that were even more resistant to turning they rather just labeled the new discs as +1/+2 rather than adjust all the old ones to have -1 etc. They're all very very relative scales, and NOT meant to be scientific. If you want to have scientific flight ratings you need to stick with Vibram, their ratings are based on how many degrees the disc turns from flat when thrown 20% faster than it's optimal speed and how much it fades when it slows down to 20% less than it's optimal speed. Other than that they're just relative guidelines.
Yes, but I didn't only refer to Innova, but also to Joe's Flight Chart (which by the way does a great job), which is updated as the disc evolution progresses. There you will find arrows turning right when the number is on the minus side, and left when it has a positive number. In that case it is not named "turn". It's called "h.s.s." which doesn't necessarily mean the same thing. Or does it? I don't know. But anyway, I do think that this way of showing turn reflects some kind of overall general view that you don't just find at the world's largest disc manufacturer or at one of the most ambitious disc testers in the world.

I know that ratings usually can't be taken for science, and that is not what I'm getting at. Not at all. It's not like this forum is a scientific venue for physicians. But that doesn't mean that we can't question the most established way of determining discs' flight. As for the theory of turn ratings progress with time, I'm with you totally.

just conform.

you clearly understand how the ratings work, just change your mindset and accept it

problem fixed?

jubuttib said:

^^^ this guy nailed it. the scales are all relative.

Many people consider turn to be negative fade, and vice versa. In other words, turn="turn-over" or "flipping over." And fade="hyzer out" or "curling up." But there are many critics of this usage, including some of my DG friends. Blake's HSS and LSS represents resistance to turn and tendency to fade, respectively, and is probably a more honest way of reporting things.

Vibram has a better system, but it still doesn't cover everything, and it is only linear (the first approximation)...you need to know how it turns at all speeds, not just a couple of reference speeds.

There are a minimum of at least 9 physical numbers/parameters that one can use to describe the aerodynamical forces and torques on a disc (some are the same ones used for airplane wings and such), and these are often also a function of things like speed, etc. If you were to know these parameters, say from wind tunnel tests on each mold, then you could simulate the flight of each disc exactly on a computer and it would fly exactly the same in reality. I.e., you can predict how a given disc will fly under various circumstances if you know these numbers. It might be possible to try and map the relative scales into real parameters, but as you can see there are more parameters that matter than any disc manufacturer reports.

Anyways, this is where the future is, where you can go to a disc manufacturer's website, put in the release angles and speed of the disc as input, and the database will simply pull the numbers for the mold you're interested in and run a real-time flight simulation so that you can see how it would fly in that scenario. It could all be done in real time. Think about how much fun it would be to play with that kind of thing on Innova's website (just an example, I'm not at all sure Innova'd be interested in doing this kind of thing)...people would be on their site all day long toying around with different throws and such, it'd be a huge hit!

Pat said:
the scales are all relative.
Yes, I would agree. I think.
zj1002 said:
just conform.
Sounds like we're talking religions now :)
zj1002 said:
you clearly understand how the ratings work, just change your mindset and accept it
I do accept it. I would also accept if someone wanted to use minus for speed, ABC for glide, 1-1000 for turn and a pantomime guy showing fade.

JHern; I would definitely want to try that simulation technology. So I hope your prediction is true. As you say, it would be fun and I'd be doing simulations all day. What speaks against a breakthrough of a far more advanced system, in case you want to outshine the old in all aspects and eventually replace it (I didn't read it that way though), is that although the respect for the currently established simplified four rating system isn't that big, it's what people mostly use. So I think that it will be difficult to replace it altogether, and that is why I bother to complain about its logic. Although few want to admit they care for the four ratings system (whether it's Innova's or anybody else's), you will see people using it all the time in forums and also during talks out at the courses. For simulations and for the sake of evolving the sport, I think that a more accurate ratings system would be super.

JHern said:
Anyways, this is where the future is, where you can go to a disc manufacturer's website, put in the release angles and speed of the disc as input, and the database will simply pull the numbers for the mold you're interested in and run a real-time flight simulation so that you can see how it would fly in that scenario. It could all be done in real time. Think about how much fun it would be to play with that kind of thing on Innova's website (just an example, I'm not at all sure Innova'd be interested in doing this kind of thing)...people would be on their site all day long toying around with different throws and such, it'd be a huge hit!
And then you'd just have to pray to Amaterasu that the disc you eventually got flew anything like the simulation. =)

But it would be SO COOL to have that.

jubuttib said:
And then you'd just have to pray to Amaterasu that the disc you eventually got flew anything like the simulation. =)

If the measurements are done in a wind tunnel, then there is no way that it would not be correct. We would know the precise equations of motion and all forcing terms, and all you have to do is solve the equations directly (which is a trivial task, I can already do that to high accuracy with my own code).

If, on the other hand, we are just going to guess at formulas for these things, and put in some roundabout figures that seem to work OK, then it would only be an approximation. But that would still be better than the relative ratings systems that don't even report enough numbers to be useful for simulating flight.

jubuttib said:
But it would be SO COOL to have that.

I agree. I think I'm going to pursue this, and sell it to the highest bidder. I'm going to see about the cost of doing a proof of concept first, either by buying some time on a research wind tunnel, or get a rig to attach onto my car...have to save up some money for it.

Anyone want to invest? :D

I have zero doubt about the simulation working, don't get me wrong. What I don't trust is the consistency of the manufacturers. It's more likely than not that the disc you actually receive will fly differently. =)

I don't know if you should consider selling it to the highest bidder, for some reason I like the idea of licensing it to anyone wanting to use it better. It could probably work as a solid base for a proper disc golf game apart from just being a plaything for manufacturer websites.