• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How did you start playing?

My coworker, my direct manager at the time, got me into it. He brought some of his team out to play at Delaveaga and throw some discs around. I liked it so much I got him to take me with him a few more times, then I was hooked. Next thing I know I'm buying a bag, getting a practice target, playing 2-5 times a week, and I've got other friends and relatives playing too. Still play weekly with the buddy that got me started - great guy and we have become excellent doubles partners. Next step for me is probably organized events, but my life is too busy right now, waiting until my daughter can take care of herself a bit more.

I was helping my nephew clean out his car at the car wash, and I found a funny looking disc under the passenger seat. I pulled it out since I always liked throwing Frisbee in high school with buddies. I asked him if he wanted to play catch while his car was going through the wash. He said, "you don't want to play catch with that" and I was all like "of course I do...I've been playing with these things since before you were born". He just grinned and threw it my way. I said "ouch". He said "ha, I told you". He then explained to me what they were really for. We went and tried it on a near by course. The next thing I know I'm buying a starter set from a local head shop (we had no idea they sold them at Walmart). I've been hooked ever since.

glenn hilton isn't a cakewalk by any means!

I picked it up with a few friends in high school. Didnt think it would be something I would enjoy as much as I do. I didnt learn on a "dinky" course. GH is the real deal for disc golf. I wish I still lived closer to Hickory so I could play it more. I only get to play it when I come into town to visit family. Still to date one of the top 5 courses I have had the honor of playing.

My 1st cousin came up to Richmond to stay with me for a while and we were trying to figure out an activity we could go do together. We tried my sport first which was submission grappling but that proved to be a little high impact, then we tried disc golf and were playing 5-6 days a week within the month. He's from Charlotte and he and his father started playing about the same time as something to do together, which is what i like about this sport. It spans a lot of generations and has given me a chance to play a sport with my uncle that we both enjoy.

I was working in a tiny town in SC and was going to be transferred to OH. The HR manager in Ohio said that they had course in town. I had never really thought much about DG before I moved to Ohio. I didn't really know anyone up there and just one day got bored and bought an Innova starter set from the local sporting goods store and went to the course. My life was forever changed.

Had a buddy talk my girlfriend and I (now my wife) to double date picnic at Starr Park in Royal Oak Michigan. There was a course there he had played. The four of us play a couple rounds with our 171gm Masters Whamo's. I had played a lot with a lid and found the new idea a ton of fun. Frequented the park quite a bit. Stopped into the local party store for a six pack of ginger ale on time and found my first golf disc. A Discraft Photon+. A new world opened up from there. That was back around 1982 or so and the wife and I still play often. OK, all the time. What a great way to spend time together. Thanks Don. Yea, it was a dinky 9 holer, with a minature train that ran through the park. It is still there, don't seem to get there anymore though.

A Discraft Photon+ huh. I bet even chrishysell doesn't have one of those in his collection.:D

I think that you mean Phantom+ amigo.:)

Edit: Discraft did come out with some Photon plastic discs, but it was much later.

Last edited:
A Discraft Photon+ huh. I bet even chrishysell doesn't have one of those in his collection.:D

I think that you mean Phantom+ amigo.:)

Edit: Discraft did come out with some Photon plastic discs, but it was much later.

Doh, confusing it with the glow discs made later. Funny, when I wrote that is seemed wrong. I still do have the disc though. :wall:

I still have my MRV but I somehow managed to break it. It has an X-shaped hole in the dome about 1.5 in off center. Not sure how I did that...

Back in the early 80s when I was a teen one of the older neighborhood kids created an 18 hole object course in the park near my house. The targets were manhole covers, trees, mailbox posts, boulders, etc. All the neighborhood kids had a blast playing with our Frisbees. Now 30 years later in that same park they finally put up a real course with baskets.

btw this is my first post.

Jerry

The first time I played DG was at a camp called Camp Pinnacle around 2009. It's famous for being the set for the classic 90's movie Heavy Weights. Our family rented the facility for a week and they had an object course there. I think only 9 holes. We played with normal frisbees I believe but we never played a full round.
Second time I played DG was in 2011 at a summer camp in Colorado. It was just a private object course where most of the baskets were trees. I think my favorite disc was some gold driver made by wham-o. I think. And I thought it was just a backyard thing that you do at camps.

Anyways my last few months of high school one of my great friends from pre-k and elementary school invited me to go out and play. I agreed because I remembered the great times I had at the Colorado camps awhile back. I also brought one of my best friends to experience it for the first time. My elementary school blew us out of the water and being the competitor I am I wanted to beat him. So my best friend and I played that entire summer and we became hooked and traveled a lot to play. Love this sport.

You'll see me at the top soon.

I first played in 10th grade. In HS the course was a place to escape the neighborhood and do illegal things..until said illicit things effects wore off enough to go home.

I played with a friend at Sinnissippi Park in Sterling in the 80's. Played a few times and really liked it but didn't start playing seriously until 15 years ago. Now I play at least twice a week.

I played a few drunken rounds in college. Then after school I moved to San Jose for work and knew nobody there. I went out to the course, played some pick up doubles, saw I sucked and thought "well, better get better" I've been slowly getting better the last four years but still have a way to go. Now the bulk of my friends are the guys I disc with.

I played competitive golf for years.
I would play 3 to 4 times a week. When not playing I was practicing my putting, bunker shots, etc.
I was on the golf course or driving range almost every day.

After I got married my golfing went down to once a week. After first child, every other week. After second child, a few times a year.

A friend suggested disc golf and I actually laughed at him. Two years later a different friend told me that a new disc golf course had opened just a couple of miles from my house and he had bought his sons and himself a beginner set for Christmas. I ended up buying an Innova starter set, wrapped it and put it under the Christmas tree.

Two months later we finally decided to give it a go. We had no idea how hard it was and gave it a rip from the blue pro pads. After 3 holes I was ready to walk off the course. We managed to make it through that round. Thank goodness we did not keep score. That was just over 4 months ago and I now play 2-3 times a week and own way too many discs for my skill level.

There is disc golf at the Philmont Scout Ranch in Cimarron, New Mexico.
That's where I played my first real round, I guess. They even had custom stamped discs in the "canteen" with the Philmont logo on them. Man, I wish I still had one of those...
This was '97, though, and we'd been throwing frisbees at trees long before that.

Buddies & I used to play ultimate, freestyle and generally toss the lids around as far as we possibly could. Once we hit the distance limit with a 200g lid, we started searching for heavier (simultenously, more aerodynamic) lids, which landed us in the golf disc arena. I introduced the first disc to the group, it was a Champion Leopard, circa the summer of 2000. We've all been playing the sport and acting as disc golf missionaries ever since.

i moved to VB and my friends co-workers played and suggested he try. i went with him to try.

Latest posts